SHOT Show 2011: Melvin Forbes and the Evolution of Hunting Rifles

The Gun Nuts

January 24, 2011

SHOT Show 2011: Melvin Forbes and the Evolution of Hunting Rifles

By David E. Petzal

About the Video
: Melvin Forbes, along with Kenny Jarrett, revolutionized sporting-rifle design in the 1980s. Melvin made them lighter than anyone every had; Kenny, more accurate.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

Melvin is a good friend of mine and lives not too far from me and has a hunting camp right next to mine. Melvin is a super guy besides being a super rifle builder. I'm proud to call him a fellow West Virginian. My all time favorite is the 5 pound 4 ounce .280 on a 700 action. He has one of those at every show and when he sees me coming he yells and says that he has my rifle.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

I'm so glad Mr. Forbes confirmed my thoughts that he must be reducing stock weight, a barreled action can only take so much. Still, it's amazing what he can do.
With Mr. Forbes' light-weight rifles that guy who sent back a .416 for repairing must be recoil intolerant extraordinaire!

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

I have always admired Melvin's rifles and it is too bad that the Colt deal did not work out. It would have made Forbes-like rifles more affordable to the masses. Insofar as Kenny's rifles there certainly is nothing wrong with them. However I knew gunsmiths in other parts of the south that produced rifles of equal accuracy back in the seventies on a low scale but never bothered for notarity. In fact the few that my buddies and I managed to purchase, we called "beanfield rifles" simply because we hunted over soybean fields with them. Sometime later the name was applyed to many long range rifles. My first was a .300 Win Mag that shot very tight groups to 500 yards. I never knew beyond that because I didn't have a longer place to shoot at the time.

from focusfront wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

Has Forbes every experimented with a takedown rifle? If if fit in a small square case, one of his 4 1/2 pound model 20s in .260 or 7mm-08 would be the world's best travel rifle for anything smaller than a Siberian tiger. That covers a lot of ground.

from focusfront wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

Correction: anything smaller than a lion. Lost my mind for a second there.

from Carney wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

I dunno. Maybe somebody somewhere needs a Siberian Tiger shot. Just sayin'.

from MJC wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

May have to set up a long term savings account for one of these rifles...

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

Carney,
A few years ago, a veterinarian in Texas staged a canned hunt for a Siberian tiger. He videotaped the shoot for the client, and the tape was shown on TV along with the news story about his $40,000 fine.
Apparently, someone didn't think the tiger needed to be shot.

from focusfront wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

from focusfront wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

Correction: anything smaller than a lion. Lost my mind for a second there.

from Carney wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

I dunno. Maybe somebody somewhere needs a Siberian Tiger shot. Just sayin'.

from MJC wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

May have to set up a long term savings account for one of these rifles...

from 99explorer wrote 3 years 12 weeks ago

Carney,
Apparently, someone didn't think the tiger needed to be shot.