How To Test the Maximum Range of Your Deer Calls

Whitetail 365

September 01, 2011

How To Test the Maximum Range of Your Deer Calls

By Scott Bestul

Scott Bestul shows how to test the maximum sound distance of your deer call. All it takes is a friend, a rangefinder and some open country.

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

For my hunting area, deep woods, I'd say pick your favorite stand, have a buddy pace off a distance and use cell phones or 2-ways to determine when he can no longer hear the call.

Being amid spruce trees will limit the call distance more than being in open hardwoods, so try both. It will at least give you some benchmark by which to judge various locations you'll find yourself in.

from walmsley wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

I have an outfitter on the neighboring property. When I grunt from stands inside my timber, if I hear the paid hunter sitting on my line go crazy when he hears me-they usually start grunting and rattling their brains out thinking I'm a real buck, then I know my calling is loud enough!

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Want range?

You got it!

"THE YO'BUCK COM'A'YER CALL!"

batteries not included.

from shadillac wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Good thing deer can't hear any better than humans...

This was the most worthless advice I've seen in a long time. Bestul I expect better from you!

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Clay- That will call 'em in from the next county!

NHstr- Good call on the deep woods and spruce trees!

shadillac- Can't deer " hear any better than humans?"
I always assume deer could hear as well, if not just a little better than humans; especially noises that are foreign to the woods, such as the clanking of a gun barrel on a tree stand.

Scott- Good report!
That certainly gives a hunter something to think about, although there weren't many limitations or variations in the test. Such as windy conditions during the rut, rain and making a grunt in a bowl shaped hollow without any wind.

from NHshtr wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from walmsley wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Want range?

You got it!

"THE YO'BUCK COM'A'YER CALL!"

batteries not included.

from shadillac wrote 2 years 32 weeks ago

Good thing deer can't hear any better than humans...

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Clay- That will call 'em in from the next county!

NHstr- Good call on the deep woods and spruce trees!

shadillac- Can't deer " hear any better than humans?"

Scott- Good report!