Hurteau: Do You Pull or Do You Squeeze?

Whitetail 365

August 19, 2010

Hurteau: Do You Pull or Do You Squeeze?

By Dave Hurteau

Last year for the July 2009 issue, I edited Dave Petzal’s “No B.S. Accuracy” field manual (not that Dave needs much in the way of editing). He wrote: “It’s common advice that you should squeeze the trigger so that you’re surprised when the rifle goes off. This assumes you can hold the rifle perfectly still. I can’t do that in the field. I wobble and weave—not much, but enough. Instead, I pick the precise instant when the crosshairs are where they should be and then pull that trigger smartly.

Dave actually gave me this advice almost 15 years ago, and since then I’ve done just as he describes. In the field, hunting deer, I pull the trigger. I don’t squeeze it. I try to pull it straight back with minimal extraneous movement—but it is not a surprise when the gun goes off.

Now, I am interested in whether you pull or squeeze a rifle trigger in the field, and you’re welcome to comment on that below. But what I’m really getting at is: What about the trigger on a mechanical release for archery? You can’t hold a bow perfectly still either. Yet the common advice among top shooters is to simply not worry about that. Instead, you should allow the pin to float over the target and then slowly squeeze the trigger. My question is: Do you do that? Or do you punch that trigger when the sight picture looks good?

from finnyk wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Squeeze. I have found that punching the trigger (at least for me) has more of a yanking effect on my aim than if I let the pins float and just squeeze the releases trigger. I have not found the ability to refrain from jerking other parts of my arms and shoulders if I punch it.

from SD_Whitetail_Hntr wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I fall kind of in between on the rifle shooting. I'm mostly squeezing off the trigger if I'm in a good resting position with a stationary target. If I've got to make a bit more of a tough shot I go back to more instinctive trigger pull when I can judge the crosshair position as it moves slightly. With Archery it is definitely a pull. I get all my alignment tools in place and then start to feel out the release. As soon as I'm comfortble I'm judging the pins as they hover around my target. I'd say I do quite well with that method. I've only released 4 arrows since I got my bow out of storage (yes I know I should shoot more, will definitely get more practice from here til season.). And 3 of those 4 arrows sliced gophers that have been infesting my yard. The only miss was my very first one because I mis-judged the distance.

from ishawooa wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Since back in the sixties my buds and I always pulled the trigger when shooting offhand just as the crosshairs intersected the target. We referred to this method as "adjusting for the wobble factor". I still shoot this way successfully today.

from blackdawgz wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Stroke it!

from ckRich wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Smooth, controlled pull. I have tried shooting a mechanical release with a spring trigger that requires you squeeze to make the shot. I'm not sure how much I like or don't like it, I just can't find any benifit over my current "punch it" release. Definitely not $100 worth(seems that's what most of them are priced at).

SD: gophers do make excellent target while they dance

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I almost certainly pull with a release. I think part of the reason that it seems to have little negative effect is that you're already pulling with some major muscles along the line of the arrow, so that a the small amount of force generated by your finger on typically very light release triggers is very minor. Compare that to a rifle which is statically balanced with smaller competing forces and typically at 4 to 10 times the range and it seems to make sense that the gentle squeeze is more critical while rifle shooting.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

If your bench shooting squeezing the trigger and being surprised the shot went off is one thing but off the bench and into the field is a entire different ball game!
You want to learn to pull the trigger in a controlled way that it breaks just milliseconds before the sights cross the desired point of aim. Your sight picture is a always moving figure 8! and you must learn how to time the shot to hit the target.

from Hoyt187 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I pull with the release and try to squeeze with the trigger. My problem is the proper seating of the rifle to my shoulder when i'm wearing my bulky huntin gear when in Wisconsin for deer when i'm in Tennessee the rest of the time. Any advice?

from ENO wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

This is a great topic! I have been practicing with my new Destroyer at 70+ yards. At that distance holding the pin on target and punching the trigger can be huge challenge. I'm no expert. I find that I need to keep even pressure on the trigger while aiming. Then it becomes a rhythym/timing issue. I pull the trigger when I feel the shot is coming together.

from deadeyedick wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I'M DEFINITELY A PULLER. I DO NOT THINK THAT MOST PEOPLE CAN HOLD A SIGHT PICTURE STEADY ENOUGH FOR A CONTROLLED SQUEEZE. I ALSO BELIEVE THAT THE SIGHT PICTURE IS MORE IMPORTANT . TO SHOOT WELL YOU MUST PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. SPEND AS MUCH TIME AT THE RANGE AS YOU CAN AND SHOOT FROM VARIOUS POSITIONS AND IT WILL MAKE YOU A BETTER SHOT. IN THE FIELD WITH BOW, RIFLE OR SHOTGUN, MOST OFTEN A PERSON SIMPLY DOES NOT HAVE THE TIME TO GENTLY SQUEZZE OF THE SHOT.

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I'm not real sure!
I think I pul-eeze!?
I have been known to snatch a trigger every now and then, with no surprise results!
Oh, well, hopefully cool weather will kick in and I can practice my pul-eeze again!! LOL!!!

Bubba

from countitandone wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Paper targets...squeeze.

Flesh & bone targets...pull. The only surprise you might feel in the field is a click instead of a bang. Been there.

from jkaatz52 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I think I am also somewhere between the two when not shooting off of a bench. I think it starts off as a squeeze and then turns into a pull when I know the pin or cross hairs are going to be where the should be for the shot in the next mili-second, whether it is the 10 circle or the tip top of the heart on white tale(aka the top of the bottom 3rd).

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Mt ol'Drill SGT always said to Squeeeeeeeeeze it like you girl friends t***y, it has worked for 51 years so far.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

With a rifle I squeeze, a bow I drop the hammer!

from huskerguy wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Pull with guns, and extend with the bow. I don't use a trigger when i bow hunt.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

My bow release is a combination of putting more weight on the trigger with my finger while at the same time I am pulling my whole arm back with my back muscles. The combination of the two give a hair trigger effect.

from huntnfishnut wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

pull a gun, squeeze a bow

from Jerry A. wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

My bow release has a really light trigger, I really just barely have to put pressure on it and it goes. Basically I keep my finger off of it until I'm ready to shoot, place my finger and the arrow is on the way.

from bradshaw@pa.net wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

From a supported and stable rest, I definitely squeeze fairly slowly. From a less stable rest where the crosshairs may be wobbling a little, I squeeze harder and faster, but never pull. That causes a jerk off target for me.

from Bryan01 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I pull - although with a bow release, it is more of a pluck. I'm with Clay on the timing, I watch how my sight picture is moving and when it is under control, I start the pull as the cross hairs are moving toward the target but aren't quite there yet

from TOMCOYOTE8 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I was taught the words squeeze please.

from nunyabinis wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

If the trigger is smooth as silk: Squeeze

If the trigger is herky-jerky: Punch it

from chrishinson1971 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

i have tried both but the squeeze works for me yet not perfect but is close enough for me .

from HogBlog wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

In the field, I'm not even sure... except the occasional times when I get too excited and yank the trigger/release. Most of the time I get the crosshairs or pin where I want them, settle down and think about sending it. Then it goes.

At the range, I think about it and squeeze. I do this a lot. So I'm guessing that's probably what I do in the field too... although it may be closer to a controlled "pull". All I know is, the only time I realize what I did is when I jerk it and and miss. Otherwise, it all feels like a steady flow from target acquisition to shot.

from John Renkar wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I use a muzzleloader for deer, so I have to hold and squeeze and continue holding until the powder ignites and the projectile is away.

from fortycal wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I was taughtat an early age by the old guys to squeeze. Since most of the rifles I shot were heavier than I was, it was hard to hold on target long enough to be consistent, therefore in my early adolescence, I became a puller. But seriously folks, with practice, and patience and lots of trigger time I do believe either choice can be effective.

from tony167n wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

If i have a nice rifle rest to shoot at a deer, i usually just slowly squeeze the trigger...but since im a still hunting guy, i usually end up just squeezing hard on the trigger right when the scope is just at the right spot. but squeezing hard isnt bad, you just have to watch out that you're not flinching and moving the gun. and when im bowhunting, i just slowly but firmly squeeze the release as the bow is moving right before the pins look perfect

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

A little rain shower blew through yesterday! (whew!!)
I took the opportunity to do a little shooting.
I'm going to have to change my previous answer!
I sque-ull!!
Back several years, I was sitting in a pop-up when the deer I was looking for stepped out. I placed the crosshairs where I wanted them, YANKED... the trigger!
Apparently, the good Lord was wanting that particular deer to die. The bullet went right where I wanted.
If at times, we do everything right with the wrong result! I suppose we can do everything wrong and still get the job done also!

Bubba

from Albert A Rasch wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Fellows,

I've been shooting for quite some time, and since I hope to someday go to Africa, I have practiced over the years. Pictures of Cape Buffalo and Sprinbock act as sighting tools and I use snap caps to rapidly load and sight, and fire. I feel that with practice your squeeze will be more a controled pull, and your pull will be a more controled sqeeze. Practice, practice, practice! In the end, all that matters is that the projectile goes where it belongs.

Best regards from Afghanistan!
Albert A Raschâ„¢
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles: Cleaning your Sleeping Bag!

from cas0905 wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

learning your trigger is the thing i try to do most. i got some snap caps and i am getting a feel for when the trigger goes click

from Tim Platt wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

I have always been a squeeze and be surprised man for 40 years but Dave is changing my ways. He has taught me if you use your fingertip instead of the crook of your finger you can pull back in a more straight line and be more accurate. This has helped me immensely and shooting fast is always better in the field. You can teach an old dog new tricks.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

I tell all my students to squeeze the trigger on a rifle, but I don't confess to them that I do a cross between a squeeze and a pull whatever you call that. It seems to work . I think that the father away the target the more I lean toward the squeeze and the closer I lean toward the pull.

from big24hunter wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

squeeze

from Dave357 wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago

Whether firearm or bow, I too do a combination of squeeze and pull while timing my wobble. Bench rest is much more squeeze of course.

from tirdypointbuck wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

Squeeze the trigger on the gun and release for archery, pullin will make you miss where you are amin at.

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

With a rifle I squeeze because of travel(triger creep).With my bow release I pull because the trigger must travel further to release.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

And with a shotgun? And there is one of the many problems that starting out shooting a rifle at stationary targets causes a shotgun shooter to be able to shoot decently...no squeezin triggers at moving targets....SLAP that trigger!! Quick snap because the moving gun is only in the kill zone for a split second...the target is not holding still, but moving.

from 1uglymutha wrote 3 years 32 weeks ago

from a bench or in the field with a steady rest i squeeze. for a jump shot at running or very close game offhand i pull, or as you do with a shotgun or pistol i "roll" the trigger. i also place my index finger at the very bottom of the trigger as froggy does. works for me.

from mstelzer wrote 1 year 37 weeks ago

I'm not sure: I think I do both. I squeeze a little and then when things line up I pull, but I'm right there so it's not much. It's a feeling, like shooting baskets, for the sweet spot of lining things up just right and not changing that with my trigger pull. That's why my 22 is my best friend for shooting my 270 accurately.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from ENO wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from countitandone wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Paper targets...squeeze.

from jkaatz52 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from Jere Smith wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

With a rifle I squeeze, a bow I drop the hammer!

from huskerguy wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Pull with guns, and extend with the bow. I don't use a trigger when i bow hunt.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from Jerry A. wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from bradshaw@pa.net wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from Bryan01 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from TOMCOYOTE8 wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

I was taught the words squeeze please.

from nunyabinis wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from huntnfishnut wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

pull a gun, squeeze a bow

from John Renkar wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from fortycal wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from tony167n wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

A little rain shower blew through yesterday! (whew!!)
I took the opportunity to do a little shooting.
I'm going to have to change my previous answer!
I sque-ull!!

Bubba

from Albert A Rasch wrote 3 years 34 weeks ago

Fellows,

Best regards from Afghanistan!
Albert A Raschâ„¢
The Rasch Outdoor Chronicles: Cleaning your Sleeping Bag!

from cas0905 wrote 3 years 33 weeks ago