DIY Fly Drying Tip: Shake Your Frog's Fanny

FlyTalk

April 29, 2010

DIY Fly Drying Tip: Shake Your Frog's Fanny

By Kirk Deeter

I was going to make Frog's Fanny dry fly powder a "Stuff That Works" honoree because it is indeed the best stuff I've used to revitalize soggy dry flies by way of wicking away moisture.

But I like my flies shaken, not stirred.

And Frog's Fanny comes in a little vial with a paintbrush applicator attached to the screw-cap.  I don't know who thought that one up, but they obviously don't fish in the Rockies.  I mean, I'd love to dab and paint my duns, drakes, and hopper flies, but when the wind is hoofin' 30-m.p.h. as it was all day today, I end up choking on more of that stuff than I can stick to a dry fly.  And that's a waste of a fine product and money.

Here's the fix.  Get a vial of "Dry Shake" with the little beads and some powder inside. Inevitably, that stuff shakes near-dry of the powder element after a good day or so of fishing. No worries... take a little puff of that Frog's Fanny and pour it into the spent Dry Shake vial.  NOW you have something that will wick those flies dry, and keep them riding high for hours on end.  Just drop your fly in the vial, gently close the cap (Not all the way, so you crimp your tippet) and shake your fly dry.  It's magical.

Years of guiding have taught me that I often have to mix and match one product with the other to find the best solution.  Keep "spicing up" your shake bottle with some Frog's Fanny powder as the season goes on, and you will inevitably save money... recondition more dry flies... and catch more fish.

Sometimes a home-brew twist on using different products will help you get more bang for your buck.

Trust me on this one.

Deeter

from MLH wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

The Frog's Fanny applicator is worse than useless. I consider Dry Shake the best - especially with skating caddis - turns them white for a bit and the trout seem to prefer that. But never thought of refilling the Dry Shake container with Frog's Fanny ... duh! Now I know what to do with those two near full FF bottles just getting old in my gear box. Best of both! Thanks.

from Woodstock wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Posts like this make me want to buy a copy of The Little Red Book.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

I've tried the powder. I never really liked it. I'm a blow-on-my-fly-kind-of-guy or whip it through the air til it looks good.

My Little Red Book came just in time. I broke my ankle a few days before leaving for my Central PA fly trip but I have the next best thing to fishing...reading about fishing.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Deeter...Powder all the way brother, without the goofy brush. I have a few other fly fish products that make my "what were they thinking" list.."they" meaning guys who never stood in a river at 480 cfs with GF 4 winds. Hey, I also received my copy of the LRB AND enjoyed your efforts in TFFJ. My question...where do you find the time to fish? Hey Tim...great photos dude.

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

So we are in to saving money?..wash the fly off and put it up. Use another fly. When home put the fly under a tea kettle steamer, and voila!..a new, revitalized fly.

Fly floatant? Much of the creams are the very same thing as the facial, makeup remover cream found in Payless stores. It comes in a jar with a blue top..???? Can't think of the name right now!! I melt it down, very low heat..your fingers, body temp. melts it when you apply it to the fly... and I refill my fly floatant, applicator bottles, and have for years. Avoline, or
Aboline maybe is the name. The fly floatant folks buy Aboline in 5 gal.buckets, and fill their applicator bottles.

from kenban wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

Thanks for the tip! Its going to save me money and catch more fish! From thyroid symptoms

from Mibasshunter wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

this stuff will definitely help!

from MLH wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from Woodstock wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

Posts like this make me want to buy a copy of The Little Red Book.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from countitandone wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from Sayfu wrote 3 years 50 weeks ago

from kenban wrote 2 years 49 weeks ago

from Mibasshunter wrote 2 years 9 weeks ago

this stuff will definitely help!