Waders: Hip or Not?

FlyTalk

February 16, 2009

Waders: Hip or Not?

By Kirk Deeter

Tim's little pinup gal image got me thinking (I'm not sure why) about hip waders.  I've decided that hip waders work well for women, and not for men.  Wearing hip waders and shorts works exceptionally well for women, and is repulsive among men.

Who wears hip waders anymore? Not like a novelty... I mean as your go-to, number-one fishing in the river on Saturday morning set of waders.

I like hip waders, but I wonder if mine are obsolete.  The point with hip waders years ago was that they were a cool alternative... literally (as in temperature) cool, not fashionably cool (not that I'm a slave to fashion in the river).  Now, with Gore-Tex and other breathable waders, you just don't see the "hip" crowd like you used to.  As for cost savings, I know some guys who would rather wet-wade, in March, than wear hippers.

It's not like in the 70s, when hip waders were the rage.  Then again, so were the Village People... the cop, the Indian, the construction worker... a guy in shorts and hip waders would have fit right in.

I don't care.  I'm still keeping mine.  Old habits might die hard, but I still think hip waders are hip.

Deeter

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Hip waders, if anything, keep you from wading too deep into a hole. Chest waders tend to take me places I shouldn't be or places I can't get out of. Unless I'm fishing with an indian, a cop and a construction worker I should still be a cool lookin dude in my hippers.

from Mc. Squizzy wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

As long as they keep you dry!

from ejunk wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I have a pair of hip waders. I use them on smaller streams in the early part of the year, mostly. I like to have them on any stream that I need to pack into.

yrs-
Evan!

from prairieghost wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

with hip waders your are only one slip from being wet. i prefer the margin for error my light weight chest waders provide. also, there are darn few options for hip waders that can be used with wading boots and i wouldn't wade without felt soles.

from Evan V wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I used to have a pair of rubber hip waders. So awful, any bending over in water got water in em.

from hnestle wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

All you have to do is miss judge the depth or bend over to pick something up and you might as well go home, cause you are going to get wet.

from Creek Chub wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Does anyone else roll their chest waders down? Or do I look like the cop in chaps when I do that?

from MLH wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I considered a pair of hip waders - there's a trout creek across the lot from my office - but one slip and it's sitz bottom in the wet grass or mud. So, went with wader pants instead. I can only imagine women in shorts and hip boots.

from kirkdeeter wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I'm wondering if we should offer two prizes (a rod, a reel, a real pair of waders... something) for sent-in photos of the best "woman in shorts and hip waders," and the worst "man in shorts and hip waders" photos from across America. Should I petition the editors?

from FlyDave wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Oh yeah... I gotta see that.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Hip waders have their place and time, but I prefer just to go in pants, the waders have a tendency to fillup if you step a little too deep,

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I had a dislike of hip boots until I discovered the NEOS Hippers, Orvis had a run of them briefly last year, 30" hip boots that go over your existing boot or shoe. I fell in love with these as they roll up into the size of a pair of sneakers in my pack and I can walk in, unroll them, slip them over my shoes and pants without having to play with the cuff of the pant or my socks, just velcro them to the belt, clip the buckle over the shoe, and wade out into the stream. I can also wear them from the truck to the fishing hole, they're lightweight, and they dry quickly. The downfall is they don't have the insulation of the rubber hip boots of old, or the ruggedness of the old waders, but they are light, and I can use them without feeling like I'm on the moon or wearing 20 layers of clothes. I just wish they would make a full wader set, then you could hike in, put the wader on without removing your clothes or shoes, fish, then when done, remove them, roll them up and put them in the pack in the smallest of places.

I can't wait to get another set of those Neos for a spare set for the camper. (I carry 2 pairs in the truck, 1 for me and 1 for a guest)

from Fishing Jones wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

One of my local trout streams banned the use of chest waders and felt soled boots last year. If you want to wade you have to go with hip waders.

from Charley wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

In the summer I prefer to wet wade, except in one local lake that has an itching algae. Otherwise, the waders come on when the air temp gets close to the water temp.

from Alabama Flygirl wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

My husband has the Orvis Silver label bootfoot waders and prefers them over his chest waders because...in his own words...he's a sweaty bastard. I kind of like them for him because, like buckhunter said above...with chest waders he tends to go places he shouldn't go.
I also tend to be a little jealous when I am still struggling to get out of my boots and waders and he is already putting his hippers in the back of the car. Unfortunately, I do not think that I would look like "Brook" in hippers!!

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Never owned a pair of "Hippers", just would rather spend the extra 30 bucks on a cheap pair of neapriene bootfoots, but Eventuly I am going to get a pair of Breathable chest waders (Stockingfoot) to fish in.
The problem with the ones I have are numerous, small boots (2 sizes to be exact, not too comfortable) pached like 10 times, and there too warm, even in the winter. The reason for stockingfoot is so I don't have to get a new set of waiders every time my foot goes up a size, and they are better fir the rivers I fish (Boot gets stuck, you can pull it off, not have to cut out of them, lost a few good waders doing this, but you're life can't be replaced, waders can.) Alex (Ap)

from kolbster wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

i wade wet.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Deeter,
I've got some pretty goods photos of "lovely women" in hippers that might interest you but that might get a little ugly. I say since we guys already have Brook give the girls something to look at. I say the contest should be "Men in Waders Gone Wild".

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Ankle fit hip boots are the best footgear there is for Caribou and Moose hunting in the far North.

from senkoman12 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

i have hip boots its hard to find chest waders that fit me and also i cant afford much

from MLH wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

I don't know ... put up pictures of men in shorts and hip waders and I might never be able to garnish the courage to visit this website again.

from hunt_fish_sleep wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Insulated Hodgman neopreme chest waders. Unbeatable.

from PZabel wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

You see hip waders used in Alaska but the 20 days I spent in AK I was in my G3's and loved them. They pack well, dry fast, and offer more protection in deeper water and better for bushwacking.

from prairieghost wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

to hunt_fish_sleep- how can you fish in those in 90 degree weather?? to kolbster-glad to hear it. that means you will only be fishing about four months a year and i'll fish the river the other eight months.

from benjismokin wrote 5 years 5 weeks ago

I have found over the years that chest waders are bulky and in the way. If you have to walk long -distances up and down creeks then waders should be the last thing on your brain!
I swear by hip-boots. They keep you dry enough, I mean why are you trying to be chest deep in water anyway? Plus, alot of them are very comfortable and durable. I think hip-boots are the way to go for sure!

from prairieghost wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from kirkdeeter wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Mc. Squizzy wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

As long as they keep you dry!

from Evan V wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Creek Chub wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Sportsman Matt wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Alex Pernice th... wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from kolbster wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

i wade wet.

from ejunk wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

yrs-
Evan!

from hnestle wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from FlyDave wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Oh yeah... I gotta see that.

from dwaynez wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Fishing Jones wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Charley wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Alabama Flygirl wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Deeter,

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from senkoman12 wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from hunt_fish_sleep wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Insulated Hodgman neopreme chest waders. Unbeatable.

from PZabel wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago