Deeter: Remembering Fish Most Important

FlyTalk

June 25, 2010

Deeter: Remembering Fish Most Important

By Kirk Deeter

The other day, I found myself at the edge of the water, standing before a plaque that bore the name "Trout."  I looked a short distance away, and noticed another sport fish... Snook. There were others as well... Bonefish... Wahoo... Albacore... Perch.  And while you might think that I was pleased to notice this collection of game fish... truth is, I was overcome with a much more solemn sense of appreciation and sadness.

You see, these fish were the names of American submarines lost in World War II, and these plaques memorialized the thousands of young men who were lost.  These fish represented crews of 80-plus men who perished... together... and often without a trace or any explanation of what really happened.  The memorial is at Pearl Harbor in Hawaii.

If ever you get a chance to visit Hawaii, before you commence to surf or fish, or enjoy boat drinks on Waikiki Beach... I'd suggest a visit to Pearl Harbor, The U.S.S. Arizona memorial, and the memorial to the American submariners.

Speaking from a purely personal standpoint, I know this was an important visit, because as I travel around to catch trout and perch... and albacore, bonefish, snook, wahoo, and whatever else I'm lucky enough to write about... I'll always be reminded that none of that would be possible were it not for the freedoms bought the hard way by brave Americans generations ago.  And I won't ever forget it.

Deeter

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Amen. Good post Deeter.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Thanks Deeter! Good post! If only more people would stop, think and realize our freedoms come at a heavy price.

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

amen Beekeeper. take the time and thank a vet today. thank you vets

from hi_tail wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Point well made, I always try to stay conscious of the liberties and freedoms I have. Look around the world, and you'll find what we have here is a humbling gift worth defending. If it weren't for these guys, the BEST OF AMERICA, who knows if we'd even be able to post our thoughts on here. Thank God for the fish!

from dukkillr wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

The Arizona memorial is truly a solemn sight. You can still see the oil bubbling up from the sunken ship. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life when I was in Hawaii last year.

from countitandone wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

A Salute from all to those in the Silent Service.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

On the same topic I picked up a book yesterday titled Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell. It is a story of a 4 man team of Navy Seals in the Afghan war. I have been told by many it is a must read. My son has the book now and cannot put it down. I am only 1 chapter in but it gives you a great appreciation for the sacrifices our young men and women are making this very day.

from 86Ram wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Good article and true.

I've met many a WWII vets and Korean and Vietnam vets. It is an honor and privilage to follow in their foot steps.
I met a Ranger who participated in the D Day Landings.
I met an Inuit Vietnam vet (Infantryman) that survived being machine gunned.

Each meeting is a humbling experience. Each of them share their wisdom and I try to show my gratitude towards them.
They are truly remarkable and horable men that deserve our utmost respect.

Some gave all and All gave some!

from jamesti wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

my b-day is december 7, so i never forget what that means first and formost. is it just me, or do they not do memorials each dec. 7th like they used to? or just not as much.

from cdavis1887 wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

the memorials are part of the reason i want to take a fishing trip to Hawaii

from MLH wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago

Glad you took the time. Wish every American child would visit a war memorial ... and then return when they are old enough to really understand. Politicians should go every Sunday. The reverence and dignity shown to those who fell for our country, and the countries of our allies, is indescribable and heart wrenching.

Anyone who goes overseas needs to visit an American military cemetery. Thousands of crosses and Stars of David mark the graves of American soldiers who died on foreign soil and remain there. My eyes water just thinking about them. There is a wonderful PBS special that describes them all. Every time I visited the American cemetery in Luxembourg there was a fresh rose on Patton's grave. Story is that the roses have anonymously been placed since Patton was buried there. Those who were liberated understand and appreciate the lives lost.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from hi_tail wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from dukkillr wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Amen. Good post Deeter.

from Mike Plotner wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

amen Beekeeper. take the time and thank a vet today. thank you vets

from countitandone wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

A Salute from all to those in the Silent Service.

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

from 86Ram wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Good article and true.

I met a Ranger who participated in the D Day Landings.
I met an Inuit Vietnam vet (Infantryman) that survived being machine gunned.

They are truly remarkable and horable men that deserve our utmost respect.

Some gave all and All gave some!

from cdavis1887 wrote 3 years 42 weeks ago