My Engine’s Runnin’ a Little Hot

Whitetail 365

July 15, 2009

My Engine’s Runnin’ a Little Hot

By Scott Bestul

I have lived in—and driven through—prime whitetail country for most of my adult life. Amazingly, I have hit only three deer with my vehicle. Actually, scratch that. Every whitetail my vehicle has made contact with has run into me. There was a Wisconsin doe that head-butted my front tire, an Iowa buck that took out my driver’s side mirror and door (I thought that one was coming into the cab with me), and a Minnesota doe that slipped on the pavement and slid into my grill.

In each of these instances, the deer came at me from the side so quickly that my foot never even touched the brake. Now I’m no fighter pilot, but my reaction time is decent and I am on a near-constant lookout for whitetails, especially when I am a) driving through known deer country and b) it is prime movement hours. Even in high-alert mode, I think whacking a whitetail is nearly inevitable when you live and drive among them.

The photo above was sent to me from a hunting buddy who claimed the driver finally pulled over when he “noticed his engine was running a little hot.” Whether this story is true, I thought the deer-in-the-grill pic would be a good way to jump-start discussion on deer/vehicle crashes. Have you had many? None? Any solid tips for folks to avoid these unpleasant (and usually expensive) encounters?

from Sick STi wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I have found that ever since I've owned a vehicle with a turbo, I never have had a close encounter. Mainly because I enjoy modifying my cars, and usually the turbo gets pretty loud. I think the noise scares them away.

from micropterus wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

That's crazy!! I have hit 3 total on 2 occasions. One came out from the corn and just dissapeared beneath my headlights, that was a big bump. The second time two were running out of the woods and one got in front of my truck and the other rammed the passenger door. There were only two of them but it felt like I was driving through an entire herd.

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Closest I've come is scratches on my hood from a whitetail's hoof as it jumped over my car. My right ear lost some of its ability after my passenger screamed bloody murder.

No tips to offer that common sense doesn't afford you. But I have an interesting tidbit here: For two years Arizona Game and Fish has been testing an elaborate elk-crossing alert system on state Highway 260. This system consists of hundreds of yards of chain link fencing that extends and narrows a natural funnel that elk and deer use to cross the highway. There are radar stations throughout the fence funnel. When wildlife is picked up on the radar, a signal is sent to large, blinking electronic signs posted along the crossing area. Traffic does slow down considerably when the WARNING - ELK CROSSING NOW signs are blinking. It seems accidents have been reduced.

from j.jones0880 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Haha this pic is from Rocky mount,NC a guy from my church took the same pic and sent it to me, have diffrent angles if someone needs a better look haha. As for deer hit none dodged 3,000,000 plus

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

There was so much potential for dark humour. Too bad he didn't hit it with a Dodge Ram.

from MLH wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Just one - saw it coming and still hit is at, oh, lets say 80. Just hit my front right bumper and took out headlights, bumper, and the structure behind it.

Something frustrating about insurance .... If you hit a deer (or any animal) it is a comprehensive claim. If you miss it and bang up the car then it is an at-fault collision accident. A comp claim won't likely be held against you, but the at-fault accident will likely increase your insurance rates. They'll be looking for fur and blood on the bumper if they can't find the deer.

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

That's definitely a "Rump Mount!"

I'd been huntin' all day and never saw a deer!
As I came out and was headin' up the gravel road, I wanted to put the fruitless day behind me,a doe came out of a creek bed and was headin' straight for my bumper.

My window was down as I yelled,"get away from my truck!"
She veered back into a creek with a gentle nudge.
No fur was lost,well maybe a few hairs.

from shane wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Says Mr. Forkhorn - "All these cars in my way are really getting to be a pain in my ass!"

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I've never hit a deer but I did have one hit me once. My vechicles all have loud dual exhaust and I believe in that wholeheartedly as what has detered them over the years. That and damn good brakes.

from huntcamp wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I have hit 2. One at 60 mph, $500 damage. One Ironically, after an evening of hunting, as I left, the field, onr came up out of a steep ditch and Hit at 25 mph. $2000 worth of damage, at least that one I was able to save the meat. First one, just hit bumper and went under 3/4 to Silverado, as you can imagine it was mangled. Probably have had several hundred near misses. Bear included. I drive north a lot in the fall and usually at night. 2 deer in over 20 years not terrible.

from seadog wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I've only hit one--a yearling at 65 mph in an F-150--wrecked grill, headlight, bumper & fender--but the truck lived--obviously, the deer wasn't so lucky.
Poppa2, my brother tells a similar story--hunting all day & not seeing a single deer, then mowing one down with the truck on the way home.

from hawg daddy wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

i guess they was to hunger to stop and see what happend.

from Deerhuntingbigb... wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

It is important not to swerve sharply if a deer runs out, it could cause you to loose control of your vehicle.

from jbird wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I've collided w/2. First one did minimal damage to my passenger fender, 2nd one destroyed the front end of my wife's car.

from hnestle wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I've hit 2 in 15 years. A yearling with my ranger and it only crack the right headlight. And after grad school I order my FX4 and owned it 6 hour until I bowed in the front bumber. You can still see where the doe tried to duck and run back where she came from. If she won't have done that there would have been some real damage.

from Big C wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I have not hit a deer with my car yet...but I still have some time.

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Having driven in many high deer traffic areas, I'm either lucky or the anti-dog/deer whistles that mount on the front bumper or grille really work. If it's gonna happen all you can do is ride it out.

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I have hit one that went right over the top of the car. I was hit once by a doe. I saw several on the side of the road just about dusk. I slowed to a stop. All but one ran into the field, but this doe ran right into the side of my Siverado. It stunned her and she flopped around on the ground for about five minutes, then got up and started walking in increaslingly larger circles for another couple of minutes and then ran off.

from MB915 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I to have never hit a deer, have had many close calls though.

Regarding the prior post about the deer whistles, I remember reading a study a few years back that they do not work on deer. Something about the frequency that whistles make, deer do not hear at that frequency. So in essences, all it is doing is pissing off a lot of dogs while you drive around since they are able to hear at a higher frequency. Does anyone else know if this is correct. Think I read it in Deer & Deer Hunting Magazine.

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Had a yearling run into my driver side rear door last year. Was doing about 20 coasting up to an intersection. For a brief instant I thought someone had taken a shot at my car accidentally or intentionally. I looked in the rearview and there's this yearling getting up. It did a cartoon boxer's head shake and ran back off into the wood. Guy behind me pulled over and I went back to talk to him.
"Did you see that deer hit me?"
"Oh yeah."
"Should I have seen that coming?"
"Buddy, that deer came out of the woods like it had your number, head down. From my angle it was almost certainly behind you when it first cleared the bushes."

My Explorer had a dent in the doorframe and a lot of snot on the window and that was it.

from Douglas wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My first buck was harvested during the 1973 rut with my 1972 AMC Gremlin X.
Nice 8 point with little meat spoiled.
Folded the Gremlin up like an aluminum beer can.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I've had many close calls and hit 2 both were button bucks. One jumped a rural barb wire fence landing in a gravel road so close I hit him before even reaching the brake. My speed was very low but the truck rolled over him and broke his back. The other I was going deerhunting early one morning on highway 36 in MO. At the Grande river bridge hit a small buck. Broke my turn signal lens and his neck. A few years ago a man on a Harley hit a 300 lb Kansas buck only a few miles from this computer. It was around 3 am, police think he was traveling about 70 mph. The impact killed both of them.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

One night last fall my friend Billy D was driving down I-35 from Des Moines to meet me for a hunting trip. It was during the rut. He saw a huge buck walking on to the road just in time to swerve. The buck's nose hit bill's side mirror and broke it. A few miles farther he saw another huge buck on the medium alive but with severe injuries. Next day on his return trip someone had cut that buck's head off.

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I'm sorry but I'm thinking this picture was posed. I've known many a dumbass in my life but you can't hit a deer with this damage and not know it, also the deer's head would be under the car, not laying out front.

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I was bow hunting for elk in the Salmon River country- second bow season for me. I got back to the '74 Dodge 3/4 ton(my dads truck)about midnight, frustrated by the misfortune of the day. Two miles down the highway there was a nice spike bull on the side of the road, I eased up on the gas and rolled off onto the opposite side. He looked like he was going to go back into the field, but at the last minute he turned on a dime and smashed into the driver’s side front fender. He rolled and I ran over his neck- but it did not kill him. I stopped and backed up. In the spotlight I could see him lying, humped up in the ditch with a lot of frothy blood and bile coming up. I dispatched him with one shot from my .22 pistol. I decided to check him over, and there was not much wrong with the carcass, so I field dressed him and got him loaded. The only damage was one side of ribs caved in and punctured the stomach and lung! I have seen more damage from well placed shots!
In the morning I called and got a conservation tag, and well, we ate road kill that winter! My motto was “If you can’t stick ‘em with an arrow, nail ‘em with the truck!”

The fender was $40 at the junk yard- the paint matched to boot! And my brother ended up installing it for me!

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I have not had a encounter with a deer while in my vehicle yet and hopefully never do... (knock on wood). But some of my family in Kansas have had their cars totaled by deer. I remember when I wen up there... I could not believe how many deer were just grazing on the side of the road and not to mention how big they were.

from Thomas Murray wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I also live in an increasingly less-rural area with a lot of development surrounded by woods and farms, and I hit my very first deer two weeks ago-1am, a doe who was on the opposite side of the road, pointing away from me, who wheeled and ran back in front of my F-150. Luckily, I had my foot on the brake and it caused no damage to the truck-other than a pile of poop on the hood (from the deer :) and a lot of hair in the grill. But the doe skipped about 15' into the ditch and I heard it thrashing around when I got out to survey the damage. I doubt she made it, but who knows? They are resilent.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

Last year in July I was driving I-35 right through the middle of Overland park, Ks about 3 am. Saw something in my lane up ahead. It was a huge buck in velvet. He had obviously just been hit as his back legs appeared broken and he was using front legs to crawl. I had to swerve into another lane to miss him. Called police on my cell phone to notify. There was no woods nearby just businesses and homes. Don't know where he came from but he was a big one.

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

No hits, but two very close calls.

One going to Danbury, NC via the back roads, a curvy and hilly area. Thank goodness for ABS. That one was a huge, gorgeous buck that made me long for my rifle. Just kind of sauntered across the road in front of me after I stopped.

The other was a doe that tried to beat me across an intersection in an area locally that had already smashed up my neighbor's Chevy S10. Again, thank ABS.

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I have hit two, but neither in my own vehicle. First when I had a summer internship with the forest service I grazed a deer. The road was clear and a doe came out of the dirt I did what you aren;t supposed to do and swirved into the opposite lane. The drives side mirror of the Jeep Cherokee hit her nose. The other deer I hit while driving trough WV in a company truck for a consulting firm I worked for. This deer was a huge 8pt in velvet and the vehicle a Dodge Ram 2500. I hit this deer with the full front of the truck at 60mph, no brakes. I didn;t even have time to holler "oh sh*%".

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

FYI In todays KC Star it says Kansas has 4600 left over non-resident whitetail anydeer tags. Maybe the rush is over or maybe it's Iowa's turn to be the hot spot.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

''ER,HOW MANY HORSES YOU GOT UNDER THERE? I HAVE TO AGREE WITH JIM IN MO. ONE MCBUCK TO GO, NOW THATS FAST FOOD! CAN I GET FRIES WITH THAT?? NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEER.

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

SORRY ABOUT THAT DOUBLE POST!

from MidnightBanjo wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I had 2 very close calls within 30 ft and 10 sec. of eachother on night on the way home. Lucky for me and them that I was already slowing to turn on to my street when they came up out of the creek bottom.

from steve182 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

Only one i ever hit was a gentle nudge, no harm done. Had a large buck jump the hood at highway speed once at 5 a.m. Nearly spilled my coffee!

from buckstopper wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

I'm with Jim in Mo, that is a staged photo or at the very least, if alcohol was not the main cause it was at least involved. I've hit 2 deer in my middle-aged life both of them within the city limits of my home town. One of those was at the morning rush hour. The other was returning from a hunting trip, go figure.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 43 weeks ago

Del,

Maybe next year I can come to Kansas and get onje of those left over whitetail tags!

WMH

from Jim in Mo wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from seadog wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Deerhuntingbigb... wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from micropterus wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Proverbs wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

That's definitely a "Rump Mount!"

I'd been huntin' all day and never saw a deer!

My window was down as I yelled,"get away from my truck!"
She veered back into a creek with a gentle nudge.
No fur was lost,well maybe a few hairs.

from Walt Smith wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from huntcamp wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

"Did you see that deer hit me?"
"Oh yeah."
"Should I have seen that coming?"

from Douglas wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

My first buck was harvested during the 1973 rut with my 1972 AMC Gremlin X.
Nice 8 point with little meat spoiled.
Folded the Gremlin up like an aluminum beer can.

from vtbluegrass wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from Sick STi wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from j.jones0880 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from MLH wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from shane wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from hawg daddy wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

i guess they was to hunger to stop and see what happend.

from jbird wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from hnestle wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Big C wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I have not hit a deer with my car yet...but I still have some time.

from huntenthusiest wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from nc30-06 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from MB915 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

I to have never hit a deer, have had many close calls though.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from ranger2 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from FloridaHunter1226 wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Thomas Murray wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

from Jeff Bowers wrote 4 years 39 weeks ago

No hits, but two very close calls.

from Del in KS wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

from JOHN ANDERSON wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago

SORRY ABOUT THAT DOUBLE POST!

from steve182 wrote 4 years 38 weeks ago