BuckTracker: Back to ‘Bama

Whitetail 365

February 13, 2009

BuckTracker: Back to ‘Bama

By Scott Bestul

One more post and I will leave my friends from Alabama alone for awhile. The photo of this buck came in about a week ago. It was titled, simply, “New State Record Typical Killed near Gurley, Alabama.” Since I’d just returned from this lovely state I eagerly clicked on the photo. It is, without a doubt, a wonderful buck; with fine mass, a beautiful frame and a chocolate color that I’ve always admired. And, if the buck scores 189-3/4” B&C (as the message claimed) it would be a state record, eclipsing a 186-3/8” buck found by George Mann in 1986.

Then my Internet skeptic instinct kicked in. Trust me, I want to believe every “biggest-ever-state-record-not-high-fenced” story I come across. But by now I think we’ve all learned that it’s best to be darn cautious of what you believe on the World Wide Web.

So I’m doing my best to answer two questions:

First, does this buck’s rack match the announced score? My B&C scorer buddy Tim Walmsley says “no way,” claiming a big abnormal point on the right will knock the buck from scoring as a 14-point (another claim in the photo) down to a 12.

Second, was the buck actually shot in Alabama, and in a fair-chase manner?
If you know anything, please share. And if you don’t, here is one big, beautiful whitetail to gawk at.

from victorytw228 wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I dont know if he will score that high but if he dont oh well. I mean thats a deer anyone would be happy to put on the ground! Congrats to you sir if you get on this website!

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

The score does not pass the "knuckle test". Meaning if that guys hand is 5 inches wide(which is a lot) I figure the buck has 39 inches of tines on the left (in the picture) then 37 inches of tine on the right. Give him 24 inches of mass on each side(4x6inches) and 24 inches for the spread and 48 inches (2x24 inches) of beam. Gross B&C 196. Subtract the 14 inches for non matching points for net typical and I figure at the very very most this buck scores 182 net typical. My guess would be closer to 178.

from Edstoresit wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

NO way that buck goes that high. First off to give him 24 inches of Circumference is a gift. The average circumference of the white eye patch is 6 inches. No way that base covers all the eyepatch. Secondly, In my experience (Master Measurer for SCI) you lose 1/2 inch of circumference betwen each branch on most deer. This deer loses that on the left and right, between c-1 and c-2. c-3 and c-4 on the left look the same but the angle is bad to say for sure. On the right there is an increase in circumference on the c-3 measurement due to that extra tine. Which will be a deduction under B&C. Using a much more reliable method than my cohort above, I use the ear legnth to determine scores in the field. The average length of an ear from tip to bud is 7 inches. Based on that tine length on right side will be around 35 inches from this photo with 31 on the left. Give 19.5circumference measurement right, 18.5 left, 24 x 2 beams and 24 spread we get right at 160. But Nonetheless this an old mature deer and it was a great harvest.

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Ed,
I agree. My measurements were in the "at the most range". I was being more than generous with my figures and it still doesn't fly.

from upnorthson wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

not close to 189 but still a beautiful buck that i would be happy with!!

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Looks closer to 160 than 189 to me. The head and body on that deer look rather small compared to our deer.

from jamesti wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

now are we guessing before the mandatory waiting period or has that already passed? just don't see that high of a score but it is an awesome buck!

from peter wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

even if it is not a record it is still a great buck
and you should learn to trust people more

from hnestle wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

I did a rough calculation and scored it in the low 170's, but I would still like to have him on my wall

from cwolf5 wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

no matter what i bet we all would like it on our wall

from jamesti wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

i don't remember ever shooting an animal that wasn't a trophy to me. even the first buck i shot that was just a small 3x3. it's still a trophy.

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

Cetainly not a throw back, but he doesn't seem to be a mid 180 BC either. 160 ish I'm thinking. But photo's do weird things to proportion. Would love to see it from the side. Very nice buck!

from Kevin wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

That is a nice buck,but it's no 190 class B&C. The tines are too short and too many deductions to score that high. A score is just a number though! Congrats to the hunter on a great trophy!

from Kevin wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

It is way more accurate to judge mass using the eyeball itself, not the white eyepatch! Using a 7" ear for judging tine length is highly accurate though, and an adult whitetail buck usually has a 16" tip-to-tip ear spread too.

from bowhunter352 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

who cares what it scores, I mean come on... what would you be thinking if this brute came strolling 20 yards from the stand? Deer hunting today is becoming more of a technical sport. What happned when the real trophy was a good story over backstrap tonight. Or watching your son nail that doe or little 6 point behind the house. With all this "growing deer" and "high fence zoo deer" its hard for us to remember how hunting really use to be... never the less great deer, great memory.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

It also looks like Bubba's head was Photoshop-ed in the pic. Maybe not.

from victorytw228 wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from Edstoresit wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

Ed,

from upnorthson wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

not close to 189 but still a beautiful buck that i would be happy with!!

from Del in KS wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from peter wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

even if it is not a record it is still a great buck
and you should learn to trust people more

from hnestle wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

from cwolf5 wrote 5 years 9 weeks ago

no matter what i bet we all would like it on our wall

from Beekeeper wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Kevin wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from Kevin wrote 5 years 8 weeks ago

from bowhunter352 wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

It also looks like Bubba's head was Photoshop-ed in the pic. Maybe not.