Quebec Outfitter Reportedly Cancels Hunts, Keeps Cash

Field Notes

February 24, 2009

Quebec Outfitter Reportedly Cancels Hunts, Keeps Cash

By Dave Hurteau

From the Pennsylvania’s The Morning Call:

This past September, 170 hunters, most of them from the United States, lost their deposits for caribou hunts from a bankrupt outfitter in Quebec. Tuttulik was the name of the outfitter, a native-owned company. Many of the hunters had paid in full. . . .

An estimated $1 million is gone with no explanation.

We also received a letter from reader Ryan Holt, who’s hunt with Tuttulik was canceled, and who writes in part:

My group was notified of the cancellation only 8 days before we were to depart to Montreal. Since this event, there has been no communication to any of the hunters, either from Tuttulik or the Quebec outfitters association. No refunds, no rescheduled hunts, nothing.

Tuttulik was reported to have been filing for bankruptcy, this has not been done. The money and dreams of many hunters who worked hard and saved for over two years for this hunt are gone. . . . I am merely writing you to make you aware and to make a plea to pass the word so that other hunters are not taken advantage of.

Thanks, Ryan.

from rrmont wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Man, I would be pissed, as I'm sure you are. Is there any legal action that you can take against them, if so I would do it.

from jay wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

I think I'd still go on the hunting trip and hunt something down other than caribou......

from silsbyj wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Just goes to show that people will get it however they can. Sorry to hear about this happening to fellow hunters.

from Sb Wacker wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Hands up everyone reading this who would be delighted to take people hunting and get paid for it. I know i would.
SBW

from Jim in Mo wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Madoff did it, they saw their chance. To many liberties are given to these 'native' operations. With a wink and a nod, they get away with what they want. No more, not here, not in Canada. We as hunters should make a statement and apply pressure to the other outfitters to do something. Who can we trust? Why should we book with anything Canadian till this sort of thing can be stopped?

from buckhunter wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

What a nightmare. Goodluck to the hunters involved. I hope some reimbursement is in order. I would suggest contacting a reputable outfitter to find out what course of action can be taken.

from YooperJack wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Well there's a dream shot up the butt! No way I'd ever book a hunt up there. Those hunters must be devastated. Just think if you had saved for years to go on that hunt, and this happens. If I don't make the plan, the scam won't happen.
YooperJack

from Mike Diehl wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago

Possibly fraud charges can be brought against them in US civil court. The hunters might be able to recover some money or at least have a standing arrest warrent issued against the guide(s) so that they can't enter the US or make any money here.

from BWhite wrote 5 years 3 weeks ago

It is always distressing to hear about people ripping off their customers but please, please, don't for a minute tar all "native operations" with the same brush..."with a wink and a nod, they get away with what they want" this is untrue and unfair.

from decee wrote 4 years 28 weeks ago

Be very careful dealing with Native outfitters and natives in general. They are NOT bound by the same laws as ordinary Canadians. I have gone Caribou hunting 3 times up there and had wonderful experiences. I did get taken by an employed guide who promised to carve me a soapstone walrus. He cashed the cheque and I never heard from him again

from jay wrote 5 years 7 weeks ago