Freeing Locked Bucks With a Handsaw

Whitetail 365

February 25, 2011

Freeing Locked Bucks With a Handsaw

By Scott Bestul

We’ve posted several galleries and videos featuring locked bucks in this space over the years. This one came across my desk this morning and I watched the clip several times. These encounters always fascinate me, largely because while they all share the similar situation of two nice whitetails locked in a death struggle, they are all somehow unique. Different times of year, bucks of varying sizes, sometimes in odd places. In this video, one buck has been mostly consumed by coyotes, while the other is not only alive, but largely untouched.

And of course, there’s the human factor; how did the people shooting the photos or video respond to the situation? This encounter features its own special solution.

from rjw wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Sure glad camera boy("I don't want to get gorged") wasn't alone on this one, may have been a different outcome for the living deer. Kudos to Saw Man.

from jbird wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Nice job guys! That's a helluva saw. Imagine what the live buck went through while his sparring partner was being eaten! Very cool video.

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

can't imagine just laying there while the other one is getting eaten.

from ilikehunting wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Whew that guy is waaaaay braver than I am. That was amazing.

from cmikles1 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Truely amazing. When God gave Adam dominion over the animals I'm guessing he (Adam) never imagined anything like this. Great thinking by these guys. Use what you got on hand.

from steve182 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

nice job. hope the survivor makes it through the winter.

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Good for these guys. Glad it ended well.

As much as we love to hunt deer, we'll do what we can to help them!

I think most non-hunters wouldn't understand!

from antlercrazy wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I feel bad for the deer that lived, but good job to the guy with the saw.

from mountaindew732 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

it was interesting how while he was sawing the deer calmed down for a bit, kind of like the deer understood. It was a great video, and those guys were both suprisingly calm. I would have taken the rack of the frozen one. It looked pretty nice

from davycrockettfv wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

The hunting community owes these guys a debt of gratitude for proving to everyone (since it was caught on video) how dedicated we all are (or should be), to preserving and caring for the animals we love to hunt and interact with. Way to go!

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Funny how deer look much smaller with a person standing next to them.

from steve182 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

buck, i agree, those were small bodied deer or they appeared to be

from SandhillsHunter93 wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

Cool video, but how is the other still alive. It seems weird to me that the buck did not get eaten by coyotes.

from BuckBoss wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

Great video! I just have so much respect for the deer I hunt that I just hate seeing locked up bucks get shot... I mean what is the sport in that! If put in that situation I would do the best I could to free any deer I could... btw I agree with mountaindew... I think he understood.

from skinney_7 wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

hey guys, thanks for all the positive comments on my vid... i'm the guy on the HD camera, my dad was running the bone saw to free these two whitetail. I would like to explain a couple things to those who posted above, we sawed the antlers off the live buck because there was less potential to get a horn in the hand or a finger pinch from the live deer that pushed forward fighting every so often... with regards to the size of the deer, our west river SD deer are as big as they come, they live in our corn/alfalfa fields year round, yes these two were a bit smaller, my dad is 6'1 230... and knowing the one deer was completely eaten, and the other had no food or water for @ least two days, would be cause for a lil shrinkage... i appreciate the comments guys, i do as much as i can to help our wildlife... i've also got a great coyote hunting teaser vid up, DVD should be out soon take a look!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH4bhpeIVRk

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

Good on these guys for taking care of the remaining buck. The antlers will grow back, and seeing as the last one dropped before they could cut it, he won't be without them for long. Its a shame that there are a lot of people out there that would rather wait and claim the racks as their own once the deer have perished. The fact that coyotes had eaten almost all of the dead buck is a testament to the fight that the live one still had in him after dragging that carcass around that field for 2 days. That's 2 days of not eating or drinking in the middle of the winter. That buck has some stones, that's for sure. Hearty genes are in that one for sure.

from skinney_7 wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

from mountaindew732 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Funny how deer look much smaller with a person standing next to them.

from BuckBoss wrote 3 years 6 weeks ago

from rjw wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

can't imagine just laying there while the other one is getting eaten.

from ilikehunting wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Whew that guy is waaaaay braver than I am. That was amazing.

from cmikles1 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

nice job. hope the survivor makes it through the winter.

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

Good for these guys. Glad it ended well.

As much as we love to hunt deer, we'll do what we can to help them!

I think most non-hunters wouldn't understand!

from antlercrazy wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago

I feel bad for the deer that lived, but good job to the guy with the saw.

from davycrockettfv wrote 3 years 7 weeks ago