Good and Cheap: Wasp Hammer SST Broadheads

Whitetail 365

March 15, 2011

Good and Cheap: Wasp Hammer SST Broadheads

By Scott Bestul

From time to time, Dave Hurteau and I shine a light on gear that works for us; specifically, great stuff that doesn’t cost a bundle. When my colleague said it was my turn to post a nominee, I barely had to think.

I’ve been shooting Wasp Hammer broadheads for close to a decade. I had just switched from traditional gear to shooting a compound and I asked a trusted pro-shop guy for his broadhead recommendation. He didn’t think much either and tossed me a six-pack of Hammers, which I bought for $32. The price hasn’t changed since and, in fact, I can find them even cheaper if I look around a little. If you’ve bought a hunting head lately, you know that the average 3-pack costs 40 bucks or more.

Of course, if the heads didn’t perform well, the price wouldn’t matter. But the Hammers have been absolutely fantastic for me. I rarely have to retune my setup when switching from field points, and these broadheads simply fly true. Better yet, they’re very tough and the ultra-sharp blades have proven lethal on deer, elk and antelope. Indeed, two of the three heads in the above photo have taken game for me in the last few seasons. After a kill I either hone the blades with a file or replace them (extra blades are also reasonable at $10 for 18).

There are plenty of good broadheads on the market, and I suppose I should experiment with other models. But it’s tough to leave a strong, sharp head that flies like a missile...and doesn’t break the bank.

from boof wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

I started shooting Boss Wasp a couple of years ago and love them. They have never done me wrong and are a very ethical broadhead for turkey.

from Hank111 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

They look alot like my muzzy 3 blades. Are they just as tough against bone? Like you, when you have something that works its tough to consider anything else. I have seen to many failures with expandables other guys use to ever try them, except maybe on turkeys.

from hengst wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

When your'e right your'e right....Wasp are good broadheads. Every year (not gonna do it this year by george) I go to the range and start buying the latest greatest broadheads and start testing. I always spend money unneadidly(?? new word) and wind right back up were I started from, with my muzzies. If I didn't have Muzzy I would definately shoot wasps and occasionaly still do. Either way both are sharp, accurate, durable and my favorite cheap. With the wasp or the Muzzy I don't have much to change when going from fp to bh.....great review!!!!! nothing like saving money and getting quality.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

I agree with you Hank, they look like copies of the Muzzy 100 grain 3 blades I've been using for over 20 years. I have never had a Muzzy break a blade, fail to penetrate completly through the deer, and I've never lost a deer I hit with one. I've even had one blow through the shoulder plate on the exit side. Those copies probably work good, but I'm sticking with the Origional!

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Oh come on Scott! Everybody knows you can't shoot big bucks unless you shoot a Rage. Don't you watch TV? Geesh! (sarcasm)

from antlercrazy wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

I use Muzzy 3-blade 90 grains myself which do seem very similar. I do believe they cost about the same and you can get replacements cheap, too.
A friend of mine shot a bunch of different broadheads at a block of cement to test their strength. He said that the Muzzies always stood up to it and never broke like some others did.

from Nebraskahunter18 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

I like the Rocket Hammer heads. They are yellow and cheap. 25$ for a 3 pack, i shot a buck with them and cut 2 ribs in half so that i could move them back and forth. Tough broadhead and cheap, but good quality. Also no need for pin resiting like you have to do with fixed. 2 1/4 in. cutting diameter

from scottbestul wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Hank and Walt: I don't know who copied who, but the Wasp and the Muzzy's are very similar. In fact, I stopped at the Muzzy booth at the ATA and they have a new fixed-blade for this year; it looks excellent and I would love to try it. Like you guys, my heads are very tough and I get pass-throughs on just about every deer I've shot. Thanks for the good input on the Muzzy's!

from mhulvey wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Those are what I use, and I don't plan on changing anytime soon

from mhulvey wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Those are what I use, and I don't plan on changing anytime soon

from steve182 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

I like NAP nitrons at about $40 a half dozen. Muzzy's also at about the same price. Ever notice the stuff all these "celebrity hunters" push is the most expensive? huh?

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

In regards to the design of the Muzzy and Wasp Hammers I think we can throw NAP Thunderheads into the mix. All three have the classic hard tip, hollow blade and narrow body design. I would venture to guess this style of broadhead is popular because it is cheap, durable and effective in the field.

If memory serves me correctly this was originally Muzzy's design.

Remember the old Wasp where the blade hooked onto wire wrapped around the head... junk.

from folley2 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

I have been using Trophy Taker 100gr Shuttle T-Lock. Since they are modeled after the space shuttle that NASA has designed, the flight is outstanding! The slicing power is incredible! 3 heads for $30, no wrong doin there.

from mwmrtn wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

I've used NAP Thunderhead 100gr and Montec one piece 100gr. heads all worked well as long know where that shoulder blade is. Ive had a friend this past season hit a nice buck 15yds or so w/Muzzy 100gr 3blade smacked it rt on the shoulder/heard loud crack found arrow gotta about 1 1/2 in busted off tip of arrow, lost the deer.I had same issue little deeper penetration w/ Montec except the deer was found week or so later dead.JMTC

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

mwmrtn- Leave the blades out of the broadhead and push the tip, point first, down a fine wetstone keeping two edges of the point in contact with the stone and keep the broadhead angled so the whole tip touches the stone. Push 5 times then rotate to the next twin edge. Go all the way around twice and you'll be amazed how sharp the tip and its edges are!

from mwmrtn wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Thanks for the tip Walt, I always changed my blades on the Thunderheads but I never sharpened the tip.I sharpen my Montecs the way you described.I did change to a heavier arrow and that made aworld of difference.My friend went to a beefer arrow since that episode he experienced last Nov.

from RES1956 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Hard to beat something that has worked for a long time, especially when it is as simple as a broadhead.

from F150Green wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

That is the same exact broadhead I used to harvest my buck on opening day this year. Like you, if I try another broadhead it will only be out of curiosity, not necessity.

from pabloco09 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I agree completely with that last paragraph except the part about experimenting.Ive been using thunderheads for about a decade and did a little experimenting myself last season...the fact is Im still shootin thunderheads and misused valuable time...

from JLAT wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

The old saying " If it aint broke don't fix it " has never been more true than with broadhead preferences! If it works for you and flies good for you then by all means use it. I do agree with steve182,celebrities usually are pushing the most expensive and in the case of Rage's the biggest piece of junk on the market !! If your preference is shooting them in the guts then stick with Rages they work remarkable for that !! It's amazing what the almighty dollar will get these people to promote or say on TV. Personally I'm glad for all the different styles of BH's it gives us something to argue about in the off season !Lol ! I personally shoot the Razor Tricks by SlickTrick.net They are cut on impact tough as nails and fly like darts !! I have been trying to get Scott B. to try them but he's a little on the bullheaded side !! Lol ! I guess the " It's not broke so I'm not fixin it " is workin' for him !! Straight shootin' everyone !!

from jbrophy wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I shoot a 100 gr 3 blade muzzy using a carbon express arrow and a Mathews Z MAX bow. I really like the way this broad head fly's in windy conditions and its penetration and over all toughness. This set up has bagged me some nice elk over the past 10 years.

from ALJoe wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Good to know. They do look like they would preform a lot like my Muzzy 3-blade 100 grains. Muzzy is just dang tough, especially for a tough animal like a hog. I have had pretty good results shooting Rage 2-blades at deer, but I am still not completely sold on them.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Steiny7070 wrote 2 years 51 weeks ago

I used the Muzzy 100gr 3 blades for years, and got sucked into all the rage hype last year. They flew great for me, exactly like a field tip but there was one major draw back: I shot a large doe at 35 yards and the head did not expand, and the arrow ended up lodged in a tree behind her. Luckily after 6 hours of very tough tracking we found her. That night I put my muzzys back on and there they'll stay for good.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from kskcheche wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

So who still thinks they are going to shoot these heads now that they are under new ownership and twice the price?

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

from mhulvey wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Those are what I use, and I don't plan on changing anytime soon

from mhulvey wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

Those are what I use, and I don't plan on changing anytime soon

from steve182 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago

If memory serves me correctly this was originally Muzzy's design.

from folley2 wrote 3 years 5 weeks ago