Shoot Me Down: Take Sunday Off

Whitetail 365

March 22, 2011

Shoot Me Down: Take Sunday Off

By Dave Hurteau

And now, at long last, our very own WVOtter has stepped up to claim his prize for winning the last “Shoot Me Down.” As my special guest, here he is to spout off about some cockamamie nonsense*—I mean, to express his opinion about a very important topic.

Take it away WV:
When and where I grew up, there was no hunting allowed whatsoever on Sundays, and I feel this is still the best policy. Leaving one day per week off the hunter’s calendar is reasonable, and states that have lifted that ban should reconsider.

Don’t get me wrong. I value my time in the woods. But in the peak of deer season, we hunters hit the woods hard. From before sunrise until after sunset, we wander about, spooking everything from squirrels to bears. Isn’t it fair to leave one day when the wildlife can recuperate? Isn’t it fair to give landowners who have been generous enough to grant us access one day when they can meander on their own land, or for parishes to be full and not hear rifle shots during service? I believe a day for the woods and rural communities and residents to reboot is worth one day lost to us. Image courtesy of the National Rifle Association

Some states allow Sunday hunting on private land only. My argument here is similar to one we’ve probably all used in the gun-control arena. Isn’t this a stepping stone to opening up all land to Sunday hunting? Just as we want to enjoy our hobby over the weekend, so do other outdoor enthusiasts. These folks are passionate about their hobbies, contribute to the local economy, and want to share their pastime with their children, too. The way for all of us to coexist on weekends, without the typical tensions, is simple: Saturday for hunters; Sunday for everyone else.

There you have it. Stand with me or shoot me down.

*Kidding, kidding.

from DSMbirddog wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I would not shoot you down on this. I believe it is up to the residents of the state. The only drawback to it that I will mention is for the hunter that cannot take weekdays off to hunt. That person gets only Saturdays to hunt.

from Silverback wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

First off, your image is wrong. Hunting is allowed on sunday in New Jersey for archery. Why do you feel the "other enthusuasts contribute" They actually have to pay to use these lands as hunters do by buying licenses?. Why is your opinion based on "Isn’t this a stepping stone to opening up all land to Sunday hunting?". Why Should private land owners who SOLELY pay property taxes on thier property be subject to not hunt on sundays if YOU don't like that idea? Maybe they shouldn't allow driving anything with emissions on monday because I want to enjoy exhust free mondays. How are you getting to work? Maybe that would just be a stepping stone for not driving at all? And further more the expense for use of state land should be equally shared by all. If you want to hunt it or hike it, either we all get permits and licenses, or we all don't. That way I can hunt my private land and not but a hunting licnese, and the other outdoor enthusiasts can pay to mantain our state parks.

from Hoski wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Sorry, must disagree with WV here. The most obvious reason being in today's economy most only have the weekend to hunt anyway. As for private land, the property owners already have the power to either permit Sunday hunting or not.
I must agree with Silverback on his points concerning hunters and fishermen supporting much of a state's outdoor budget. Why don't birders, hikers, etc. be asked to support some of the burden?

from SBell wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Have to disagree with this. I live in Virginia, work a full time job, and am limited in the number of days off I can take each year. Because of this, I can realistically only hunt on Saturdays during hunting season (be it for squirrel, deer, turkey, whatever). If the weather doesn't cooperate on a given saturday, I have to go two weeks between hunts. Two weeks is a lot of time to not be able to get in the woods. In my opinion, this is an antiquated law on the books in a few select states that infringes on my ability to get into the woods and hunt. Laws like these also get in the way of us passing on our tradition. I can only take my family or friends who are new to the sport out one day a week. It is unrealistic to cram a weeks worth of hunting into one day of the week ... which is what this law makes those of us who work full time jobs with limited vacation do. WOuld love to see this law changed, as I believe it will better our sport.

from jay wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Sunday is the only day I have to hunt. I have 3 school age kids that are all involved in scouts and sports and most of those events fall on Saturdays, many times we have 3 or 4 events on Saturday. I am also part of the 47% (a stat I find disgusting) of adults in this country that work full time so unless I quite my job and live off the government teat; Sunday will be the day for hunting and fishing.

from MB915 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I vehemently disagree. Growing up in Virginia a state that does not allow Sunday hunting, I miss out on lots of opportunities to go hunting. In today’s fast paced world, more and more people are required to often times work 6-7 days a week, which sometimes just leaves Sunday for that person to enjoy hunting, but they are unable to. While the argument lots of time is, well I use my vacation days to take off, if other people loved hunting so much, they also could use their vacation days. Well great for the people who are able to do that, but not everyone is as fortunate and are unable to take off to go hunting.

In addition to not having ample vacation time, or any time off; the times people do get off they are normally taxiing their children from soccer games, to ballet and a million other things. Which leads me directly to adding and extra day of hunting, would also give the opportunity to introduce more kids to hunting. We all know that kids are the future of this sport, if we are unable to get more kids involved one day we hunters will not have a voice to support this great pastime we love.

As for your argument of a day for the wildlife to recuperate; In Virginia, the DGIF director Bob Duncan has even gone on record as stating that there would be no biological or potential impact from lifting the Sunday Hunting ban on wildlife in the state of VA. If the director of our state wildlife agency does who is using sound wildlife management to make his decision versus a long held myth believe it will not have an impact, I see no reason why we cannot hunt 7 days a week.

If a landowner does not want to grant me rights to hunt on Sunday, there is nothing that says when we draw up the lease, that they can limit which days I can or cannot use their property, because it is THEIR property they have this right. Which is also why people who hunt on their own property should have the right and option to hunt on Sunday if they want. They pay taxes on that land, probably manage it and put a lot of their free time into that land that they love to be told, sorry you can hunt on your own land on Sunday, you need to be in church to keep the parishes full and we don’t want to hear your rifle shots. SEPERATION OF CHURCH AND STATE…enough said about that.

Who’s decision it is on how I spend my Sunday, be it if I worship God in church or 20ft closer to heaven in a tree stand watching a sunrise on the very land He created?
But, and this is a big But, if we must have a “day of rest” why not Monday, or Wednesday or one of the other days that is not on the weekend. The rebuttal to this is the argument that non-hunting outdoors enthusiasts enjoy having one day of peace and quiet where they do not have to worry about being shot. While these people also deserve to be in the woods, and most of these people do appreciate having that weekend day, why cant we all share the land, that at least in VA, we have to pay to hunt on, but the other non-hunting enthusiasts do not have to pay for. Times are different, and lots of these unsafe perceptions are based on the old days when hunters flooded public lands for short, intense hunting seasons. When I go hunting in the National Forest, there are not even a lot of hunters out there anymore, and very rarely are their people out hiking and camping in December, so I don’t buy this whole they need a day to use the resources as well. They should have 7 days, just like we hunters do. That seems like the only fair thing to me.

from mad_dog9999 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I don't agree with banning hunting on sunday, that would cut my hunting time in half or more. Sunday is my most common hunting day. Alot of times i work on saturday and/or sunday. I need to be out when i have the chance, or risk my mental well being. My wife will confirm that one. If you want to have a day off from hunting, make it a day during the week while i'm working. Or why not make this work better for hunters. No hiking or any other forms of outdoor recreation, except hunting on sundays. I'm sure that would go over well. If you look at it that way, Is it really about coexisting with others? Or is it just a way or a start conrtrolling hunting further or banning it all together. No one, and I mean no one, puts more money into conservation than hunters and fisherman. Remember that most of the products and liscences sold to hunters and fishermen contribute money to conservation. Then you want to cut hunters out of enjoying the places they help preserve one day a week so those that pay much less or none at all can go out and not encounter hunting?. That just seems absurd to me. Allow hunting on sunday. There are plenty of places where hunting is not allowed, like state parks and most areas that have campgrounds. Those are the areas where non-hunters should go if they don't like to be around hunting. Hunters have the right to hunt on sundays, they are paying for it after all.

from jbird wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I hunt whenever I can. Alot of the time, it's on Sunday. My church is the woods, so that's where I go. I believe "No Sunday hunting" is solely based on religion, and I believe it's silly. The hunting community is constantly shrinking and under attack, I think the states that still ban Sunday hunting should get over their religious ideology, and do what is best for the sport: Give more people the chance to enjoy the outdoors!

from vtbluegrass wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Wildlife does get a respite from hunting pressure Monday through Friday in most places. I hunt public land almost exclusively and I am lucky enough to have a work schedule that allows me to hunt during the week. Many times I am the only person for miles especially on Tuesdays. Not until the evening hunt on Friday do people really start showing up. In my current schedule I might still be selfishly against Sunday hunting just because it mean less pressured deer in general but if I get another job in the future that requires a normal 9-5, five days a week my tune will change completely.

from Whackdaddy wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I grew up in Pennsylvania and have since moved West where I can hunt on Sundays. It's wonderful. A full two days in the woods is a bonafide cleanse of the soul.

But I'm not going to lie, my life is in shambles come December. My wife doesn't like me, the dog doesn't recognize me, the bills are past due and my Bible's collected a little dust. If the state forced me to take a day off, I'd have a happier home and my priorities wouldn't be so prone to war. God. Family. Country.

Lord only knows how those three coexist with deer hunting in November. I can't shoot you down or stand with you. It's a personal problem.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Since I am from WV also and was involved closely with the issue, the people of WV decided whether to hunt or not on Sunday. The County Commissioners put the issue on the ballot to be voted upon by the residents of each county. There are 55 counties in WV and the residents in 14 counties voted in favor of hunting on private land only. The residents in 41 counties voted not to hunt on Sunday. I guess you can't get much fairer than an up and down vote on the issue. The landowner that I hunt on wouldn't allow hunting on Sunday even if it would have passed in my county which it didn't. I have mixed emotions about the matter. I have hunted on Sunday in Alabama and Colorado which was handy . Just because it is legal to hunt on Sunday dosen't mean a person has to hunt on Sunday.

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Sunday hunting should be permitted. It's not the state's legitimate business to tell me what to do with my time on any given day of the week.

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I agree completely with that. I had no idea that there was such a thing as no hunting on Sundays. Well done.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Religion is the basis for this rule and at one time a majority of this country practiced and was in part very passionate about religion. Well i know in many religions this may be blasphemy to say but i am more passionate about being in the outdoors than i may ever be about going to church. That does not mean i don't believe in god and don't hold many of the values of religion teaches. I think in a modern time that many feel the same as I do and should not be coerced into going to mass or excepting something that truthfully does favor one form of religion.
As for the animals needing a day of i don't think nature gives them one they will still be fighting to survive and treat the day as such. They don't just turn instincts off and recognize they have the day off.

from seadog wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Heck no. So many people work M-F, so that leaves only one day a week for them to hunt. And, as Diehl points out, it's just more government intrusion on our freedom for no legitimate reason. My question to those of you who support a ban on Sunday hunting is this: do you really want to live in a free country, or would you prefer to be a child of a Nanny regime?

from Pacific Hunter wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

First and foremost, the people who pay the salaries of the fish and game agencies are the hunters. A true balanced way to democratically decide whether a sunday ban should stay in place/be enacted is those buying a hunting license get a vote. They already have harvest data they take, why not ask the question, should sunday hunting be allowed. Everybody who forks over the cash gets one vote. Maybe they don't hunt but then they are helping pay for what we already do.
In terms of the ethics of hunting on a sunday that is a personal choice, remember one of our founding principles is freedom of religion. This law forces a particular observance of a religion on you. Just because it is my religion doesn't mean it has to be everybodies
In terms of taking the gun control argument as sunday on private land being a stepping stone to allowing hunting completely on sunday. I think banning hunting on sunday is a stepping stone to banning hunting all together.
I went into the field of wildlife management because of a passion for the outdoors derived from spending every holiday and weekend in the woods. If you basically cut that in half, I may have never developed the appreciation I did and there would be one less hunter in that field fighting for our rights as using hunting as a wildlife management tool. The colleges are full of preservationists trying to save the world through a degree in wildlife. I don't want them making decisions with our public land and public resources.

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I don't defend banning hunting on Sundays, Pachunter, but note that in New England the bans are more than 100 years old. It wasn't a step to banning hunting. Just latent Yankee Puritanism creeping state oversight into personal lives on the "Sabbath Day."

from ejunk wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I loathe Sunday hunting bans.

from Muleynut30.06 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I too am going to have to disagree about outlawing hunting on Sunday. My first point is the private land issue out in Colorado where alot of the hunting land is public if you give landowners the option of saying yes or no to hunting on Sunday those of us who dont have deep enough pocket books to pay landowners loose out big time. If the land owner wants to "meander" on their land then thats where communication between the hunter and the landowner is critical. The second is the wildlife recouping, if the woods have been pushed that hard the animals are either gone to a place where there is nobody so one day isn't going to make a significant impact. The third is hikers, bikers, and whoever else wants to enjoy the outdoors in colorado at least hikers and bikers don't have to pay the fees that hunters and fisherman do so why should we give up a day that we have paid our dues for so they can do something they already get for free. It should be that during hunting season they must dress in the blaze orange that hunters have to wear if they want to hike or whatever during hunting season. As for religion thats up to the hunter/fisherman if he wants to give up a day to go to church good for him if he/she wants to say their prayers in the field who is the government to say they cant.

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I disagree. Most of us have jobs, never enough vacation time, and also have other claims on our times and schedules. If you'd like to take a day off to give the wildlife a break, please be self policing and do so. If there must be a day off, how about Wednesday when it doesn't cut so harshly into the time most of us have available. I can promise you the odds of me being out in the woods Monday to Friday more than one week of the season are really low. I've come to believe that a large percentage of those who support Sunday hunting bans have a non-conventional or retired schedule that lets them get out during the traditional work week. It's brilliant really. With a hunting ban and the week off, now you know that you can hunt six days a week, sleep in a day, and be secure that few people have the opportunity to hunt "your" grounds more than once in a seven day period. Oh how wonderfully benign of thee.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Not! If they want to keep/expand the no hunting on sundays ban in the new england area by all means do it, I live in Michigan. We're all pretty much sinners here. We have saturday night mass for those who plan on skipping out on sunday morning 8:00 am mass. If they are allowing you to hunt there any smart landowner will tell you in advance if he plans on walking his property, he'll likly be wearing hunter orange and carrying a rifle anyhow. I've never seen a buck in church so I don't feel they need a day of rest, they get plenty of that after after ya shoot em!

from antlercrazy wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I'm on the fence on this one. I am still in high school and only get to hunt on the weekends, and sometimes that is a stretch. I agree with it because it is a good idea, but how am I to get a deer without spending time in the woods is all I'm saying. No offense to WVOtter because if I had more time during the week, I would strongly support this.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Nebraskahunter18 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

There is just one problem with this. The people that have only sat. or sunday to hunt. I wrestle from the end of nov. to the end of feb. which means practice till well after dark on weekdays and day long tournments on sat. which leaves me only sunday to hunt which means i would have no time to do the thing i love most deer hunt.

from Nebraskahunter18 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

To each their own. If you dont want to hunt on sunday you dont have to, but i dont mind hunting on sunday.

from ChandlerV1997 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

That idea has its pros and cons, but I like it for the most part.

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I have to chime in with the majority - nothing wrong with hunting on Sunday. My buddies in MA whine all the time about being shut out on Sundays, so they come up to NH.

The wildlife has plenty of reboot time during the week, and each of us has the personal choice to stay home on Sunday if we like.

from huskerguy wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I'm going to have to disagree as well. The weekend is the only time I get to hunt. Unless we have some good luck I don't get to shoot at a deer cause I'm letting my little brother take the first ones if possible. It should be a choice. It's like buying a vehical but can only drive it on certain days. You pay for it, use it when you want.

from mnobles23 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I have to shoot you down. Most people are simply weekend warriors due to working full time jobs. Not hunting on Sundays cuts their hunting days in half.

Also, I know yours is not a religious based view, but here's how I see it: Some people go to church on Sundays, however I feel my "church" is in the great outdoors. To me there's nothing more spiritual than watching the sun rise over a duck marsh or hearing an elk bugle in the Aspens. Like the great Fred Bear said, "When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God."

from SMFrenchVA wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

The NRA's "American Hunter" magazine had an article in the April 2011 edition titled "Taking Back Sunday." For what it's worth, here is my letter to the editor"

"Taking Back Sunday" from whom? From Almighty God is from whom you, the NRA, threatens to take back Sunday. Your article published in the April 2011 edition of "American Hunter" has enlightened me greatly to a fundamental problem with the NRA. Your arguments are rooted in humanistic reasoning. Your pragmatic approach in attempting to discern good versus evil highlights the fact that your organization has no firm foundation upon which to stand. It has no understanding that there is an absolute truth from which to successfully debate the right to bear arms. Therefore, you are in league with those that want to take away my right to bear arms. Just as they have completely dismissed God's sixth commandment, so too have you no regard for God's fourth commmandment. God's sixth commandment, "You shall not murder," implies the requirement for all of mankind to preserve life and thus the right for individual's to bear arms to defend themselves and preserve the life of others. Any simple study of the Word of God with respect to His fourth commandment, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy," would reveal that pursuing the recreation of hunting on a Sunday is a sinful practice in the eyes of Almighty God. Until I see evidence that the leaders of the NRA have repented from such a blasphemous pursuit that is on par with those trying to take away my right to bear arms, my money will in no way support the efforts of the NRA. I will let my membership expire and make no plans to renew it.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Dave Hurteau wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

In the midst of all this shooting down, I'd like to chime in to say: Nice job WVOtter. I asked you to choose a topic that would elicit a spirited discussion--and so you've done.

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

If I can't hunt Sunday's I can't hunt at all. I think that sums up my point of view on this idiotic non-issue. Guncontrol, now hunting control to? What happened to freedom?????

from jamesti wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

wvotter, one of my two days off (when i get them) is sunday. doesn't leave much time for hunting considering that the seasons have all been shortened. no wonder people are getting away from the outdoors and playing video games. you can do that any day of the week. i have enough of the government telling me what to do, i don't need it here. at a time when costs are rising and people are crunching, we don't need more negatives keeping people away from the sport. the next post someone does will be another one asking why we are declining as a life style. here you go.

from student-archer wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

wow, I must say you have a very self centered view of hunting...it must be nice to have plenty of hunt time, let's not forget those who work 6 days a week and might like to have Sunday available to participate in their favorite sport!

from vasportsman wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Virginia lawmakers shot down a bill that would lift the Sunday hunting ban at the end of January.

Wasn't even close, but it did make head way. Like several of the other comments I'm a Virginia resident and get one day a week to hunt, which is fine. Sure I would like more days, but if that is the way it is then fine. However, it's pretty sad when almost every other state in the country does allow it and Virginia becomes characterized as backwards and old fashioned. Stubborn lawmakers with backwards policy makes me frothy.

from 007 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I voted against Sunday hunting in my home WV county. I too think the game needs a day off. I jokingly say that Sundays are reserved for fishing and football (after church lets out).

from bjohnston wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Tradition is hard to overcome, a quick look at Pennsylvania is a testament to that, but life isn't like that now. Non-tradition is the normal, from families and
marriages to to jobs and education it just isn't the same
anymore. In this fast-paced and sometimes over-whelming
world, many people recharge and recuperate(using your term) in the treestand. I hope to start a new tradition with my two boys and hunting on sunday is a big part of that and with the Grace of God, they can start new traditions themselves.

from jackster53 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I don't know where you been hiding WV but this is not 1970 anymore. We don't work Mon-friday anymore and get 2-5 weeks vacation. Everyone is working 6 days a week and we are losing hunters at an alarming rate. In the past 3-4 years in New Jersey somewhere in the vicinity of 22% of hunters have not renewed their licenses. We now allow Sunday hunting for Archery and alot of my friends have come back to hunting just on that basis. The animals are getting plenty of rest. Private land owners have the option of saying yes or no to sunday hunting. Sunday hunting will not hurt and game populations. And all animals are on alert 24/7. Trust me they do not know what day of the week it is.

Allow Sunday hunting in every state and lets bring back our lost hunters, introduce some new hunters and get alot of us out of some Honey-Do lists!!!!!

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I was always told that the fish won't bite on Sunday so inever tried fishing on Sunday. We don't have a hunting ban on Sunday, but it would be s huge burden if it was enacted. Our Deer season is only a couple of weeks long depending on the method you choose. Elk season is only 9 days long in most WA units. We hunt a 9 day rifle season in Colorado that runs from Saturday until the following Sunday, so no Sunday hunting would be a burden.

We have a 109-day waterfowl season and I hunt every available Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon after church. I CHOOSE to go to church most Sundays, but I don't want rules telling me I can't hunt on Sunday anymore than I want some rule telling me I must go to church or that I can't go to church.

Let's ban little league and kid's soccer games on Sunday first!

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

You can attempt to create a discussion about this issue, but it appears the red has it and there are plenty of folks that don't like banning Sundays in their own state. The Islamic Republic of Iran also enjoys maintaining strict adherence to religion in state matters, I wonder how their hunting license sells are doing?

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I love this crap. Here in Pa. hunting on Sundays is not allowed. Every time the subject comes up some hunters write comments like WVOtter's. They all claim religious reasons and concerns for the wellfair for the game that we hunt. But not one of these hunters ever seem concered about their fellow hunters, and fail to say how the ban on Sunday hunting affects their ability to hunt. So WVOtter tell us can you afford to take off work to hunt week days? If so how can you justify as a sportsman wanting to deny or take away a hunting day from hunters who only have Saturdays to hunt?

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

As someone said I guess we in WV are behind times. Our state was founded in 1863 and hunting on Sunday has been against the law since that year. It wasn't something that just came up a few years ago to restrict hunting. I grew up hunting only on Sat. and never thought any different because I was always in Sunday School and Church every Sunday, no option with my parents and after a big Sunday meal we went to visit relatives. That is something that dosen't happen anymore. A good tradition that has been lost. I think that maybe some of you didn't get my post that the PEOPLE voted not to hunt on Sunday and not the government. I still don't have time to hunt on Sunday after going to church and then spending time with my wife and visiting the grandchildren and other relatives. I guess my priorities are just different than others. I still only hunt on Saturday, other than the 2 weeks of firearms deer season. Those of you that hunt on Sunday and that is the only time you have to hunt enjoy the privilege.

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Why does the "day of rest from hunting" come on Sunday? If someone wants a day of rest, make it a Wednesday because it would inconvenience the fewest people that way. Oh, I forgot, it isn't about that, it's about keeping Sundays sacred and holy. Remember the "Blue Laws"? Why can you fish on Sunday, kill and grill your catch but not anything else?

from OlPoppy wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I live in a state that it’s prohibited to hunt on Sunday and I suggest to trade Monday for Sunday... Prohibited to hunt on Monday...!

My reasoning is that the cost of Licenses continues to rise and no new benefits. So if we were able to hunt on Sunday that would be huge for people that can only hunt on weekends and this would double their time in the woods.

from steve182 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I grew up hunting in Pa. a couple weekends a year. The additional day would've increased my days afield by about 25% during deer season. I thought nothing wrong with the policy at the time, though the separation of Church and State should mean Sunday is like any other day. My home state of NJ now allows Sunday bowhunting and i often take advantage. I do prefer to hunt during the week when most are at work and luckily my work schedule allows that. For those who hunt more than a couple hours from home, think how much more often you'd go for a weekend if it meant two days in the woods instead of one, or 3 instead of two. And i'm sure there's an economic impact. As far as i'm concerned it's a no-brainer.

from shane wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

#1 - Some hunters only have the weekends available to hunt. No Sunday hunting laws are really screwing those people. We need all the help we can get with recruitment and retention.

#2 - Nature is cruel. Acutally, it's not cruel. It just is. Some silly humans find it cruel. Bears, coyotes, wolves, cougars, fishers, weasels, hawks, eagles, and owls don't take a day off to give their prey a break. So when we are giving them a "break", they still really aren't getting a break. They still have to fight to eat, to not get eaten, to not freeze to death, to survive every brutal day.

#3 - Constitutional concerns. Make it Wednesday or something and this goes away. Also helps with the people that need the weekends to get out there.

#4 - There are no days where everyone else stays out of the woods and fields for us. Why should we, the number one source of funds for conservation, step aside for the non-paying beneficiaries of our money and effort? Not only do we provide funds though our licensing/permits/fees/stamps, we spend as much or more in local economies as the rest of 'em.

from Teodoro wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

WVOtter, well written, but I disagree.

I'd say why, but Shane already summed it up well.

from aferraro wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

I live in PA and we can't hunt on Sundays.

1) There are plenty of parks and large areas of state land where there is no hunting permitted anytime and hikers etc have access. Hunters are the reason we created most of our state parks and game lands in the first place.
2) Most kids have team sports every Saturday and they have to skip a game to go hunting. They are killing the future of hunting.
3) Hunting is illegal because of religious dogma that most people no longer share. Our State owned liquor stores and our casinos are open on Sundays, but somehow a few fundamentalists can still tell us not to hunt!

from BlueMNguy wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

During deer season of 9 days, you mean I could only hunt two Saturdays if I work Monday through Friday. That doesn't make much sense.

from PSU_Bassboss wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

As a Pennsylvanian, I am completely used to the "no hunting on Sunday" rule. There's no need to get wrapped up in the hunting folks versus churchgoers argument. I've never heard of this rule being a point of contention for Pennsylvanian outdoorsmen. I've never discussed or argued the rule with my friends. It's less of an issue than people are making it out to be.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from shane wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

It's no big deal for some, but it means little or no hunting for some. It also means bad news for the future of the sport.

from Drew YoungeDyke wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

I'll opt to try to shoot you down on this one. If you work during the week, you only get two days a week to really hunt as it is, especially if you pack in to public land. In a two-week rifle season, that's about 5 or 6 days a year, depending on when the weekends fall. Bow hunters can get a few more days in the field, but it's still not many days per year for what, for most of us, is our favorite thing in the world to do. If you're lucky enough to own your own acreage and can hunt close to home before and after work, that's great, but a lot of us don't and can't. If someone wants to take Sunday off for religious reasons, or if you don't want to push the deer on the private land you hunt, then by all means take Sunday off. Just don't force me to abandon hunting on one of the very few days a year I get a chance to do it. Thankfully there no such law in Michigan, and I hope there never is.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

the guys i know from Pennsylvania that complain about the law are the ones with kids. with a ban on sunday hunting, they hardly can ever get their kids out into the field. thats what bothers them most is the inability to be able to affectivley pass on their passion for the outdoors. maybe make sunday legal for youth hunting only? thats not a bad idea, havent heard that one yet.

from GiantWhitetails wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

i gotta have as much huntin time as possible. and sunday has always been my favorite day for hunting.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

People used to tell me that they couldn't take their kids hunting because they had all of their ballgames on Saturday. Have them change their ballgames to Sunday. My standard answer was do you want them to hunt or play ball. I used to get the same about my Hunter Ed classes on Saturday. They would say "my kid can't come to class because he has to play ball, you will have to change your class so he can come" Excuse me get your priorities in order. My classes have been scheduled this way and everyone knows this and most people don't have a problem with it. It is all of these other activities that are hurting hunting not the fact that they can't hunt on Sunday. The little league football games and soccer games are played on Sunday and they practice on Saturday. This is in the fall when hunting season is in, when is the kid going to hunt,DUH. Lack of Sunday hunting is being blamed for keeping kids from hunting, I can see otherwise, my grandkids were victims.
Here in WV this topic is rarely discussed because it has been a way of life forever and people accept it and have adapted to it. Being in the profession I was in I knew what bills the legislators were introducing every year and a Sunday hunting bill was hardly every introduced, maybe once every 10 years. That meant the legislators weren't hearing from their people back home to introduce a bill.

from aferraro wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

Sargeo

I'm going to tell a baseball league with 900 kids in it to play games on Sunday because I want to hunt- do you really think that will work? 44 states allow some Sunday hunting. Backwards, dying states (West Virginia and PA are the 2 oldest states in the US) still cling to 300 year old blue laws when it comes to hunting, but our casinos and bars are open for business 7 days a week. We can't lose 25% of our hunters every decade forever. If we don't make drastic changes in 20-30 years there will be more PETA people than hunters and it's game over.

from Sarge01 wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

I will accept the comments about the Sunday hunting and yes we should be allowing people to hunt on Sunday but the last time I checked WV was not dying. We were near the top of states who are financially sound and in no way of needing any help with our finances to run our state. In fact the figures just came out in the legislative session and the state ending the year with millions of dollars of surplus funds. Hardly a dying backwards state. Of course I have heard all my life that we are a backward state so it should come as no surprise that we are labeled as such now. I thank the Lord every day that I live in the quiet backward state of West Virginia surrounded by unlimited hunting opportunities 15 miles from my home. People are flocking into our area every day trying to buy a little piece of our quiet backward state, but we are careful not to sell to much of it, or we wouldn't have our quiet way of life anymore.

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

PSU_Bassboss: Wake up and smell the coffee. There is a push on now to repeal the old Sunday hunting blue law in our state.(see Pa Outdoor News.com) The Farm Bureau is ready to fight against it. So it looks like hunting and hunters will likely loose again.

from MB915 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from huskerguy wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from student-archer wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from aferraro wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

I live in PA and we can't hunt on Sundays.

from vtbluegrass wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from fliphuntr14 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Mike Diehl wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

I loathe Sunday hunting bans.

from Muleynut30.06 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from mnobles23 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from jackster53 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from shane wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

from Teodoro wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

WVOtter, well written, but I disagree.

I'd say why, but Shane already summed it up well.

from Drew YoungeDyke wrote 3 years 3 weeks ago

from Whackdaddy wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Bassmasterking wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Pacific Hunter wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Nebraskahunter18 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Nebraskahunter18 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from ChandlerV1997 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

That idea has its pros and cons, but I like it for the most part.

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from woodsmanj35 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from vasportsman wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

from bjohnston wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

marriages to to jobs and education it just isn't the same
anymore. In this fast-paced and sometimes over-whelming

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago

Let's ban little league and kid's soccer games on Sunday first!

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 4 weeks ago