The Elite Eight of Whitetail Brush Rifles

Whitetail 365

April 05, 2011

The Elite Eight of Whitetail Brush Rifles

By Dave Hurteau

On the radio this morning and it’s all UConn vs. Butler. But who can be bothered with that when the all-time deer-killing king is about to go head-to-head with perhaps the best all-around whitetail rifle ever made, in the 94 vs. 99 matchup. And if it’s a shootout you’re after, we’ve got the North Woods’ ubiquitous pump vs. its autoloading brother.

With Division II play wrapped up, including an not-very-surprising upset pulled off by the popular Woodsmaster, we arrive the our Elite Eight. So, as usual, check out the bracket (you can click here to print out a larger copy if you want to fill it out). Then vote for your preferred brush rifle in each matchup below. And in a few days, we will have our Final Four.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Explain to me how a Marlin 336 is superior to the lighter Browning BLR. Explain to me how the unstable rattling forearm of a 7600 is superior to solid semi auto improved Woodmaster. When I use a bolt action I come off my sight plane, but for a lever action I (more)quickly acquire the target and get back on the trigger, and so I chose the Marlin over the Rem 7. I do not think the short light weight bolt action will survive the Win 94 as a superior brush rifle, but this is getting tough to call.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

AJ,
I for one love the BLR, and I don't really get why it's not more popular. Re. the 7600 vs. Woodsmaster: For me, it's not a question of the fore-end but of reliability. Yes, I know the various Woodsmasters will go bang, bang,bang if you are absolutely compulsive about cleaning them. But if you talk to my wife you'll learn that I'm not compulsive about cleaning anything. So give me the 7600. JMO.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Actually, give me the 760, which is far better-looking and the fore-end doesn't rattle on that one. I sold one in .35 Rem some years back; don't ask me why.

from bjohnston wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

For me, the semi-auto doesn't score too high in the labor vs reward scale. My 7600 has fired when covered in
rain, snow, mud and ice. I've used the warranty on the scope, and the rifle is scuffed a bit but i've never watch a deer turn tail because it heard the fore stock clank.

from steve182 wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

AJ I think nostalgia, personal preference and/or experiences play a large role here.

from GiantWhitetails wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

i love my 336

from JW7MM-08 wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

The 7400/750 line of rifles have been the mainstay in our camp since the my grandpa started hunting in the 50's. Ive owned and carried both the 742 carbine and 750 in 30-06. It was my experience that the 742 jammed more often due to magazines than being dirty. But the 750 never jammed or misfed even with the old 742 magazines. The 750 is however, far more accurate, lighter, and has a much improved stock design. But, is a little flimsier in the forearm stock.

from TJ wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

the 94 and 99 should have been the 2 top seeds

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Looks like the pollster is trying to set up a head to head with the 94 & 336.

from ALJoe wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I hated to see the BLR go as well. But, I still can't believe the BAR got knocked out as early as it did. Still a lot of great guns on the list.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

@Dave H. You & Heavey and apparently others are big on the 7600, you probably heard that argument when you bought one, has anyone lost a deer because their Woodmaster failed to cycle a second shot? The essence of a brush rifle is to be compact, easily maneuverable, tough,lighter and then universal values of hunting rifles come into play accuracy, dependability, feel and great balance. I held a new 7600 and I can say that the forearm felt like cheap clanky stamped metal, and the magic was gone. The 742's magazine can be tricky, but jams are highly uncommon with basic maintenance. This is going to be interesting. Keep the rifle category wars coming.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I am starting to feel like the next big reality show is going to be "Gun Hoarding" and wives across America are going to be complaining about missing this years cruise, or new dinning table so Bill, Dave, Mike, etc can get a new gun. Guy came into gander and said "My collection is bigger than ya'lls." Next relevant competition "You have to get rid of all your guns except one," we will see how fast the Tikka in 270, or bigger gets knocked out. 6.3lbs of mid priced nail-driving excellence. I am ignorant in Marlins, but it appears we have a Winchester vs Marlin showdown coming.

from Sanjuancb wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

I hunt with a Remington 760 that has been passed down through three generations of my family. It is the perfect woods rifle---nay, it may be the perfect whitetail rifle. It is fast to acquire targets with and just as quick for follow up shots. It is not exclusively a woods rifle either. I have taken whitetails at distances over 300 yards with mine chambered in .30-06. The 7600 and the 1894 are definitely my top choices here.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Obviously a bunch of young 'uns that are not of the Savage 99 era..... Remington autoloaders are not legal in Pennsylvania and perhaps a few other NE states, hence the 760/7600 popularity.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Should have put the two Remingtons against another gun instead of each other. The 750 vs the 336 would have been interesting!

from basset hound wrote 3 years 1 week ago

One thing in the favor of the Savage 99 is the cartridge selection. It was available in 22-250 (in small numbers), .243 Winchester, .250 savage, 7mm-08, .284 Winchester, .300 savage and .308 Winchester and .358 Winchester. If the Savage 99 was reissued you could easily add the .260 Remington and .338 Federal. And all the above rounds in spire pointed rounds and many can be found in the general store on the way to deer woods
The draw back to the Winchester 94 is you had to make the cartridge to limitations of the gun, and that resulted in many cartridges heading into oblivion. (7-30 Waters, .307 Winchester, .356 Winchester and .375 Winchester)

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I like AJ's suggestion that the next poll ask if you could only keep one rifle, which one would it be?

It would be a horrible choice to make in reality, but it would cause us to think in terms of performance and flexibility.

Each of the above guns has its +'s and -'s, so I had to go with the ones I have shot over the unknowns.

from Jim in Mo wrote 3 years 1 week ago

For hunting in close range give me the 336 .35. For longer range and bigger game give me the 760 in '06.

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Who needs a Brush Rifle when you got good Archery Equipment!

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from quinnm107 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Where's the Remington 700...the standard for accuracy

from shane wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I voted for the 99, but it looks like it's out. As a strictly brush rifle, I guess I'm OK with the 94 trumping it. I love and use both. As an all around deer rifle though? The Savage 1899 beats all comers.

from JB101 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

This one is a a toss-up for me. I started hunting when I was 14 with a 1965 vintage 742 in .308 that my dad found NIB for 250 bucks. Mine has been nothing but trouble free, except for one memorable week in November 2000. We had wet snow opening day, I shot my first doe, then it turned mild. Everything was soaked, including my rifle. The next morning, I picked it up out of the truck frozen solid! I held it over the stove long enough to get it open and chamber a round, but all bets were off as to weather it would cycle or not. -20deg temps meant that it stayed in that frozen state for the next 5 days, I never got another shot. Other than that outstanding circumstance, it has been utterly reliable and is now semi-retired. I have to admit, however, I've cleaned a bunch of 742's at deer camps that have failed to cycle due to poor maintenance.

My dad, on the other hand, has been hunting with the same 760 .30-06 he got for his 16th birthday in 1976 and he swears by it. It has accounted for nearly two dozen moose thus far, including his best, a 48" bull in 2007. That rifle bears the scars of 34 hard seasons. It has never failed and still punches the odd 1" group. I finally convinced him a few years back to upgrade the original 1.5-4x bushnell scope to more modern glass, but he will never hunt with another rifle. Even when I offer to lend him my fancy bolt guns, he gripes about the floorplate, or the alien thumb safety!

So I guess if I had to pick, it would be the 760, damn the rattles, there are precious few guns here in the Northern Ontario bush that are as revered as the old Remington pump.

from JB101 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

My other picks..

-94 over 99, especially the carbine. The 99 is a legendary rifle, but I've always found them bulky. Nothing built in the last 100 years carries like a '94.

-BLR(lightweight) over 336: This one is easy, same size, buttery-smooth action, more horsepower, better accuracy, DM.

- Seven over MX LR: I have no experience with the Seven, or the newer Marlins, but I prefer a bolt gun most days.

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 1 week ago

@JB101 -Thanks for providing some real stories to back up the reliability factor, although a frozen solid 760 may have some issues as well, as would a frozen solid bolt action for that matter-it would be a thaw it out and clean it, or you done situation, but to stay true to the polls it is 7600, and the 750 that are competitors not the 742, and the 760 if Remington felt like they were an improvement than one has to view the gun for what it is in its newer model, WAM points out one reason the 760 may have caught on strongly in certain areas, but I am fine with it winning over the 750. I need someone to justify the 94 vs the 99, I just can't decide, love the feel of the Savage, love the smoothness of the 94.

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I agree WAM. The 99 is a better option than a 94. Heck of a lot easier to put a low power scope on as well.

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I'm not a big fan of the 7600, I don't like the trigger pull and I blew a shot at a nice buck because of the forearm rattle (my fault). I'm pulling for the marlin 336.

from grizzled wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I'll take a Winchester Model 88 in 308 Winchester as my brush gun.Can load up or down is short and fast in brush. Deadly too. It's my go to gun when i'm not seeing deer and need some meat.Also works at longer range with the right load.Too bad it's out of production.

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I had a 760,was a good gun,not great,traded it for a Savage 99 in .308-one of the best trades I ever made.
Have a Winchester 94 that was my grandfathers,then my fathers,then mine-I say the Winchester model 94 is the best "brush gun" ever-for the W.Va. and PA. woods-the 7600 beats it for longer shots though,you can't put a scope on the old 94's.
Having had both a 99 and 94,it's a tough call,maybe it's age and the family history of my 94,but I'll take it over a 99 or a 760/7600.

from hawkeye269 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Just love my Win 94 - just love my Savage 99. Classics. But if you call me tonight and tell me we are hunting tomorrow, I reach for my Blr in 358. It is quick handling, well made, smooooth, hard hitting without being too powerful, well thought out with a dbm & very accurate. So why not rid yourself of those oldies? - never. Teach your children about classics and send them on their way to enjoy what we enjoy.

from MLH wrote 3 years 1 week ago

But don't forget the M94 also came as a Big Bore with the mighty .356 Win and angle eject (as well as .307 Win / .375 Win), which would take a scope ... though peep sights are preferred. Love it, even though I think the M336 is a better design.

from sambarVic wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Hi ..

Yes, 'grizzled' .. I like your choice of brush rifle, although, I would select a rifle released around the same time as the '88, that is, a Sako Finnwolf in 308 Winchester.

(For a bit of a 'read': x-reference the Field & Stream article: http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/guns/rifles/2007/02/six-best-leve...

Crikey .. 'Us' old guys do stick together .. lol.

Cheers, Don

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Thinking of using my M1 Garand next season for grins and giggles!

from scratchgolf72 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

1/3 people i run into in the PA deer woods are carrying a 760. if you know what your doing it is essentially a semi-auto rifle.

from Glockrocker wrote 3 years 1 week ago

It would be impossible to choose between the 94 and the 336 for a brush gun. For a bolt action the Winchester 70 is my choice. If I could only keep one rifle it would be my AR as the lower receiver is the rifle and the upper receiver is an accessory so I could own one lower and as many uppers as I choose in different calibers.

from Glockrocker wrote 3 years 1 week ago

An AR with a 458 SOCOM upper is an awesome brush gun even for Kodiak Grizzlies or moose.

from sovaymj wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I own and have killed numerous deer with a Winchester Model 94, Savage Model 99 and Remington Model 7600 carbine in 30-06. I live and hunt in the Adirondacks and either lever or pump can't be beaten for its dependability in any type of weather. I have to say that after several years the Model 7600 carbine has come out slightly ahead of the other two for a couple of reasons. First you do not have to move it from your shoulder to cycle another round and as you push the pump forward it brings the front end down and on target. Second when it is loaded with Hornady SST 165's you do not have to worry about holdover in any way, just line up the deer and touch the trigger. I have never had the pump rattle as I always have a hand or part of a hand on it. I have to say that I do carry the other two off and on just because I like them. The model 94 is now truly a 200 yard + rifle with the advent of the Leverevolution bullets from Hornady. This almost puts it ahead of the 7600. It is always interesting to hear the experiences of other hunters.

from CCMJS wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Ruger No.1 in 35 Whelen. Length and weight is the same as a 94, but a lot more power.

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 1 week ago

If you wiggle the 760's forearm back and forth really quick it sounds like a rattlesnake! Freezes those bucks right in their tracks!

from orionbeme wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Wow! I can't even understand where the thinking was on the vote between the 94 and the 99. Owning and having owned each (dumped the 94 long ago), those two aren't even in the same Division. 94 would MAYBE be a Div III player, compared to 99 Div I. The 99 is so far superior to the 94 that it's unbelievable the 94 would win here. Model 94 is a good emergency gun to let bounce around the back of the truck, like anything else that doesn't really matter.

from Wallace-N-Gromit wrote 3 years 1 week ago

What a stupid exercise this is. The best gun for hunting Whitetail in brushy country is the one that you own and you get results with. Doesn't matter what it is, you have it, you are comfortable with it, you shoot it enough to know it well. That's it. Caliber don't matter. Type of action is meaningless. Type of bullet ain't very meaningful either.

You have the gun, you can afford the ammo, you can hit what you shoot at.

That's venison for supper. Anything else is just danged foolishness.

from Bladnoch wrote 3 years 1 week ago

I would sell my wife, kids and dog before I'd part with my .300 Savage 99F. Superior in every way.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from TJ wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

the 94 and 99 should have been the 2 top seeds

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

AJ,

from Beekeeper wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

Looks like the pollster is trying to set up a head to head with the 94 & 336.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from JB101 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

My other picks..

from grizzled wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from hawkeye269 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Thinking of using my M1 Garand next season for grins and giggles!

from CCMJS wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from steve182 wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from GiantWhitetails wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

i love my 336

from JW7MM-08 wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from ALJoe wrote 3 years 2 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from NHshtr wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from Drew McClure wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from Pa deer hunter wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from MLH wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from sambarVic wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Hi ..

Crikey .. 'Us' old guys do stick together .. lol.

Cheers, Don

from scratchgolf72 wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from Glockrocker wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from Glockrocker wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from sovaymj wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from orionbeme wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from Wallace-N-Gromit wrote 3 years 1 week ago

You have the gun, you can afford the ammo, you can hit what you shoot at.

That's venison for supper. Anything else is just danged foolishness.

from Bladnoch wrote 3 years 1 week ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 3 years 1 week ago

Who needs a Brush Rifle when you got good Archery Equipment!

-2 Good Comment? | | Report