Would You Repair a Broken Rack?

Whitetail 365

June 30, 2011

Would You Repair a Broken Rack?

By Scott Bestul

Over the last couple of seasons, a couple of my friends hired taxidermists to do more than mount their deer; they’ve had them repair broken tines. It’s not unusual, especially in areas with good populations of mature bucks, for a whitetail to snap a tine, kicker point, or even a main beam while fighting. Bucks can also break off points while rubbing or via a run-in with any number of hard objects.

So the hunter asks his taxidermist to return the buck to its former in-tact-rack glory. Some of these repairs are purely guesstimates; if a buck’s right G2 was 9” long, his snapped-off left would probably have matched it. Others are near-exact replicas, thanks to trail cam photos from before the rack was damaged.

I shot this busted-up buck in Wisconsin several seasons ago. He came trotting into my decoy, and in the heat of the moment, I didn’t recognize a big chunk of his left side was missing. I shot the deer and was ecstatic to tag it, though his right side was a pretty 140-class five point and his left was nothing more than a fork. The buck basically sheared his main beam off at the G2. When the landowner looked at the buck he laughed and said, “I know that deer! I have a trail cam picture of him from 6 says ago...and he had both sides!”

Well it has never occurred to me to have the rack repaired. Though a taxidermist would have a photo to work from, the re-created buck would not—in my mind—be the same one I shot. To be clear, I don’t hold a thing against folks who have their racks repaired; it’s just not my cup of tea. How about you?

from TM wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

People spend hundreds of dollars to perform post-mortem cosmetic surgery on a stuffed deer head? I don't get the whole antler obsession. I just don't get it.

from Big Country wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

No I would leave it how I shot it. If the deer had both when I shot it and lost them while bleeding out or during transit to the taxidermist well that would a different story with a different ending.

from elkslayer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

mount it how you shot it. however, if the antler breaks after your shot, maybe when it hit the ground I might consider repairing it. An elk i shot 2 yrs ago broke of his right antler when he nosedived into a stump after i shot him, instead of fixing it i used the antlers to make knife handles. (it was only a fork-horn anyways)

from bowman77 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I've had tines repaired on two different deer I have mounted. A G2 (6 inches) and a G3 (4 inches). I have never regretted it. It doesn't tarnish the memory of the buck for me as I have plenty of pics to go with the mount. I like seeing the bucks I shot in their prime condition. It just makes a nice mount seeing their full potential. I'm not trying to fool anyone or get a higher antler score, I just like the way it looks. We're talking a repair of 4-6 inches. Now if I shot a deer that broke off half a main beam. I would probably leave as it. Just seems like too much of a stretch to fix.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

"Vanity, WOMAN (not hunter!) is thy name!"

Bubba

from Booner Chaser wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I would probably repair maybe a sticker or a broken point but in the case like yours with the main beam gone, I'd probably leave it cuz it's not the deer I killed. I'd maybe try and find the broken main beam and just keep it and show what he was.

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

...but then again, I wouldn't mount a deer with a rack THAT busted up.

Bubba

from Booner Chaser wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Now if it was a 200 incher, then I might get the whole thing fixed just because 200 inchers are rare and fixing it would probably void the possibilty of making any record book but who cares? A deer looks better on a wall than a piece of paper.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Boone and Crockett allows repaired racks to be scored if the broken point is found.

I have had one rack repaired. A very beautiful 15pt which ran head first into a tree after being shot with an arrow. He broke off his brow tine.

If I shot a deer with a busted rack I would not have it repaired. It is, afterall, the deer I shot.

from mkorpal wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I completely agree with elkslayer, mount it how you shot it. Personally, I think bucks with broken tines and abnormal racks have better stories to tell anyways. They tend to lead to stories about how the buck lost half his rack...was it from a fight with a monster 200 class buck or a 100 incher? Maybe the poor guy ran head first into a tree...who knows, that's the fun part.

from neuman23 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

The deer I shoot is the one I want. I think broken tines add to the character of the deer. If he broke the rack after shooting him, and I find it while tracking, then that might be a different story.

from rock rat wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Two things on a deer I look at before pulling the trigger.

Is it a buck or a doe? (has to match my tag) and is it at least medium sized, don't want to shoot a small one. Rack gets cut off with a bit of skull with a hack saw, I sure don't measure it or look for defects.

from Murf wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I see fixing your antlers in the same catagory as buying a mount from a garage sale. The garage sale deer head wasn't yours and neither is the tine that busted off last week.

from MATroutslayer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

If I was gonna have one repaired, I'd have my taxidermist add on about 60 inches of antler across the board. Maybe turn that fork into a drop tine, smooth out some of that candle wax, add a little girth to the main beam. Then I would go out and get myself a nose job and some sweet pec implants...

from MATroutslayer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

...and tell everyone about my new gym membership

from ckRich wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

If the rack was damaged after I shot the animal, then I would definately consider having the rack repaired. The final decision would depend on how bad the damage was.

If the rack was damaged before I shot, then it's staying as is. That way, I can dream up a new story of how it got damaged every night time I look up to see him hanging on my wall.

from antlercrazy wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I would never repair a rack. If a buck broke off his whole main beam fighting, then that just shows off his character. When you repair it you take that away from the deer.

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

In my experience, mtn goats and elk are particularly prone to this kind of breakage. I've had a taxidermist rebuild a brow tine a big bull knocked off as it fell after I shot it. To me, the bottom line is the mount is supposed to honor the animal. If the rack took a beating in the rough-and-tumble world of wild nature, that just adds to the character of the trophy.

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from PigHunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Whatever cranks your tractor, it's your deer so do what you want with it. I've thought about replacing the small antlers on my first 8-point full head mount with those of a 10-point shot years later.

This reminds me of a similar thing a few years ago. My former wife dragged me to a boring dinner party. After dinner the host approached me as I admired a fearsome looking wild boar head on the great room wall. When asked where he had shot such a beast, I found out it had been at my favorite WMA! Never had I seen one with such large tusks on that property I said. That's when he whispered to me that it was actually a sow and the taxidermist had used fake tusks!

from TDC wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I suppose if the mount fell off the wall somehow and hit the mantle and broke that way, then yeah I would fix it. Outside that, it stays what it was when I shot it.

from bass bomber wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Onlyy if it broke after being shot I guess.

from Jack Hom wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

If you shoot a deer with a broken tine, thats all part of the deal. Hunting should be about proper game management, not bone hunting. While shooting a good mature buck with a nice rack is cool, shooting a mature buck with broken antlers is just as fun. Getting the rack repaired when the deer was shot with a broken antler is like pretending that you shot a perfect buck, but the fact is, any deer that a person has fun hunting and creates a memory is a perfect buck.

from shane wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Nope. I take them as they come. Not trying to boost scores or point counts. A broken tine tells a story. I shot a buck with a broken tine that makes him a 9 instead of a 10. He's mounted au naturale, and was never scored, and never will be.

from RichardF wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I've paid to have velvet put back on. When it was shot it was in full velvet and it was pulled off as I was trying to recover the animal. Don't think I would replace a broken tine.

from Bushwackers wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Hehe ..whatever cranks your tractor..thats a good one Pig

from Kenton wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

If a large portion of the rack was missing when the buck was spotted, I'd let him walk in hopes he'd make it til next season. If theres some minor breakage, leave it alone. That adds charactor to the animal. If it got a major break after the animal was down I'd have it fixed.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

no. i would leave it as is. who cares if it is broken. it's still a trophy.

from Barb T wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I think I shot his cousin in 2008 - it was a 10 point I call the "Character Buck". The rack had so many deductions that it just barely made it over a net of 100 inches. He looks really good the way he is so I wouldn't change a thing.

from Steward wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Mostly, I would not. I would say, the rack should look the way it did when I shot the deer. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I have seen a shot buck stumble into trees and break off a tine. I might have that repaired, but I would never have the rack altered to look differently than when I shot the deer.

from bigeyedfish wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I would have no problem getting it repaired assuming I also had the broken piece. I wouldn't feel right having it totally fabricated. The simple reality is that I couldn't afford a taxidermy bill anyway and don't have the skills to do a repair myself, so it would remain broken.

from Hank111 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I have a buck that had 3 beams on one side, but broke one off. Several months later someone found the 14 inch long broken beam on a neighboring farm and gave it to me. I could not believe it, darn near snapped right back on. I had to glue it back on.I normally would never fix a rack either, but to be able to put him back to the 200+ inch deer I watched all summer was fate. In this case would anyone else do the same?

from Jim Berardi wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I wouldn't unless it happened when I harvested him- but to each his own

from walmsley wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I once thought I'd shot the G2 half off on what would have been a 160" net typical, and I had it repaired with a pc of antler. I found out sometime later from my neighbor, that they had
been the ones to do it the day before. I then/now regretted having it fixed. My wife bowkilled a buck that netted 167" typical, with part of a G4 broke off. Had he not broke it, the buck would have netted about 172". She chose not to fix it. If an animal breaks a point or beam after the shot and you find it, by all means-attach it.

from wgiles wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I've no interest in reconstructing a rack. I might consider gluing a broken antler back on, if it broke after the kill. I agree with everyone else that said that the wear and tear adds character to the animal.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Not unless it broke after I shot it. and only if i could find the broken off point(s)

from ScottieD84 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

I shot a small 6pt when I was on a youth hunt with my father several years back. When I shot the deer, he must have gotten disoriented as he ran directly into a tree breaking his left side off. I got that rack fixed, but outside some weird situation like that I don't think I would have any rack repaired.

from peppeli wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I would never repair, only restore if something broke in a move. It adds character and a mysterious look for the animal.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I got busted this year by a large bodied, grey old busted horned buck. Snuck in on my wrong side, busted me before i even got to draw. He would've made such a great trophy had he not been wiser than me. He wasn't pretty but would've been a great conversation starter. Like the buck pictured here he was a scrapper and had character.

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from HunterHaas wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

My Horror story.

Short version:

My first deer..

Opening afternoon, I enter the field from the truck, begin loading my shotgun. I look up, massive buck running right at me! I quickly load, pull up, shoot three times. Two vital and one... not so vital. Deer drops, i walk up all excited see no antlers showing from snow.. wtf?? i KNOW i saw a rack! I lift it's head and his rack pours out of the snow. WHAT HAVE I DONE! Yes, I took this 12 pt. down to a 6 pt. Spent days raking snow for pieces. Found 75% of them. You think I could find ONE taxidermist to wanna piece it together for me?? NOPE!! So he sits in my garage, half a rack, and pieces hanging from it...

from Steve in Virginia wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I think if you recover the actual broken tine, having the taxidermist make a repair is fine. Creating a new one may not accurately re-create the deer.

from mlj119 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

It gives the rack character. Why would you eliminate that?

from ableskeever wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

I'd try to go and find the broken off piece and do a special mount of it next to the deer. I think it makes for a better story.

from turkeycreek91 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

honestly if i killed a deer and the rack was busted up hed stay that way even if he broke the tines after i shot him if i could find the pieces id get them glued on to the board of the mount below the name tag

from SMShields27 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

A broken tine is like a battle wound. Leave it the way you found it, the more character the better.

from stickbow13 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

not me if your going to fix a point that was broke off or happen to brake off after it was shot, you mite as well add acouple of more points. the way i see it just add more character to the rack n if you can find the point that it broke off (in the case of after the shot) you can hang that next to the mount for an even more inturesting story....but thats just my thought

from JoeGeurts wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I have one antler mount that looks like Elliot from the movie Open Season, and I would not have it any other way, that is the way I shot him. (Although at the time of the shot I didn't realize it). One really nice 4 point antler and on the other side a busted off beam right above the second point. It gives it character. I have found over the years that none of my bucks had identical antlers on each side. There is always something that is not symmetrical. They are all just as special to me, and I could tell you a story about each one.

from mayakings wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

I personally don't agree with these situations and all the killing. And also hunting should be more protected and well punished than normal thiefs and stealing.

from suzettech wrote 2 years 31 weeks ago

Why should anyone even think of killing such creatures... I can never understand these humans.

from Big Country wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from MATroutslayer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from elkslayer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

...but then again, I wouldn't mount a deer with a rack THAT busted up.

Bubba

from Murf wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from mkorpal wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from neuman23 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Jack Hom wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

"Vanity, WOMAN (not hunter!) is thy name!"

Bubba

from shane wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Hank111 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from SMShields27 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from stickbow13 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from JoeGeurts wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from TM wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from bowman77 wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Booner Chaser wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Booner Chaser wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Two things on a deer I look at before pulling the trigger.

from MATroutslayer wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

...and tell everyone about my new gym membership

from ckRich wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from antlercrazy wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Roderick K. Purcell wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from PigHunter wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from TDC wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from bass bomber wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Onlyy if it broke after being shot I guess.

from RichardF wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from Bushwackers wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

Hehe ..whatever cranks your tractor..thats a good one Pig

from Kenton wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

no. i would leave it as is. who cares if it is broken. it's still a trophy.

from Barb T wrote 2 years 42 weeks ago

from HunterHaas wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

My Horror story.

Short version:

My first deer..

from Steve in Virginia wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

from mlj119 wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago

It gives the rack character. Why would you eliminate that?

from ableskeever wrote 2 years 41 weeks ago