The Good Stuff: Danner Canadian Hunting Boots

Whitetail 365

July 13, 2011

The Good Stuff: Danner Canadian Hunting Boots

By Dave Hurteau

I once edited an F&S boot-buyer’s-guide extravaganza, after which the folks at Danner requested that I keep and use the photo-prop Canadian Hunting Boots that I just happened to get in my size. Well, what could I say?

I have since beaten the hell out of them. They have been all over the country for deer and a variety of other critters--up ragged crags, down snowy slopes, through cedar swamps, cattail sloughs, and mountain creeks. Meanwhile, I have not given them anything like the care they deserve. They are now 15 years old. Yes, 15—and they are still my primary hunting boots, still waterproof, still sporting plenty of tread.

Now here’s the thing: Back when I was a young editor with very little expendable cash, I remember thinking of my new freebie Danners: These are great, but if I were spending my own money, there’s no way—no way!—I would drop over $300 on a pair of boots.

Now, as an older editor with very little expendable cash, I’m telling you that Danner Canadians are unequivocally worth every penny. (For the record, I haven’t spoken to anyone at Danner in ages; I surely haven’t spent the last 15 years worried that someone at the company thinks I owe them some ink.) Danner Canadians are worth $370 because they are one incredibly tough pair of American-made boots, period.

from 007 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I owned one pair of Danners in my lifetime. Leaked like a sieve, and had soles as slick as a baby's tushie. I have the scar on my cheekbone to prove that. I'll stick with Wolverines.

from luke_striegel wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I have owned two pairs of Danners and I loved them, until they started leaking after a couple years. I even "treated" them as recommended. Lightweight and comfortable, but I cant trust the waterproofing.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

Purchased my Danners in 98. Wearing only my Danners I could climb the Empire State Building on a rainy day, using no hands.

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I have two pairs of danners, one insulated and one not. They are great boots and I would never buy another brand after having these.

from MNflyfisher wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

I have 2 pairs of Danners, the 10" frontiers and a pair of zig zags, they are the best boots i have ever had and i couldn't even tell you how many miles have been put on these boots.

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I think the box that the boots come in fits my feet better...

from jamesti wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

do you guys get paid to endorse stuff on here? or is it just a slow news day?

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from shane wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

You can buy a pair of hundred dollar boots every season or two, or you could buy a 300-400 dollar pair and have them for many many seasons. Which is cheaper?

from todsantiago wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I could never trust using a Danner product again after having them fail while in the Rockies. These posts suggest inconsistencies in the quality control that must be used. I have had great luck with Irish Setter, and Vasque products, but ultimately, fit and the ability to do as advertised is most important.

from Bernie wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I bought a pair of Danner Canadians about 15 or so years ago, wore them to work in winter when I used to walk three miles round trip. They were good for that. Neuropathy in my lower legs made them very uncomfortable to wear the last few years so I gave them to a young guy who will get some use of them. In my experience, boots made by W. C. Russell Mocassin Co. of Berlin, WI are the best you can buy. I have had a dozen of their various models worn out half dozen pairs and swear by them. Wish my old legs were as durable as Russells.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I got about 10 good years out of a pair of USA-made Danners. I have refrained from buying any of the 'Hecho en China' boots for big bucks.

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

Not sure on there hunting boots but as a wildland firefighter I bought Danner's wildland boots. I couldn't afford drew's or white's (which they both make custom hunting boots also) so I went with a mid range priced boot they are the Danner Flashpoints, it was a long break in period but I love them. there fully rebuildable and cheaper than rebuilding other brands also. If they make a hunting boot just as good as my fire boot i'll be on board soon!

from wildcaller11 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

nice boots, with i had the money to spend that on boots

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from luke_striegel wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from MNflyfisher wrote 2 years 40 weeks ago

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

I think the box that the boots come in fits my feet better...

from shane wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from todsantiago wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from Bernie wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

from WesMcCormick wrote 2 years 33 weeks ago

from wildcaller11 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

nice boots, with i had the money to spend that on boots

from jamesti wrote 2 years 39 weeks ago

do you guys get paid to endorse stuff on here? or is it just a slow news day?

-2 Good Comment? | | Report