Do You Cheat Low with a Bow?

Whitetail 365

July 26, 2011

Do You Cheat Low with a Bow?

By Dave Hurteau

For a special section in an upcoming issue, I just edited a story by Wild Chef David Draper about where bowhunters should aim at broadside deer. The horizontal plane is easy: just behind the shoulder. But what about the vertical plane?

I can only offer anecdotal evidence, but in my experience, bowhunters miss high more often than they miss low. Have you noticed that? This, along with a chance that a buck might jump the string, thus ducking the arrow, convinces some archers to cheat low. That is, they aim at the lower third of the deer’s body, a few inches below the mid-point.

So I’ve got a simple question for you: Do you cheat low?

from Duckman1984 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Absolutely. I've never had a deer jump over an arrow, but I've definitely had them duck'um. I cheat low.

from Hawglarry wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Yep. I have always aimed for the lower third.That's what I was taught way back when I started!

from Will Brantley wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Yes, sir. I always aim low from a treestand. Interestingly, when I've shot over a deer's back, they're usually gone in an instant. On the few occasions I've shot under one, I've often gotten a second shot. I don't know if there's anything to do that, but it's happened enough times to notice it.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I have never aimed low. I pretty much aim where I want to hit the deer.

from NJBuckhunter wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

i always aim low and they never jump over it and its a sucessful hunt

from antlercrazy wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I cheat low. If your shot is right on you can still catch the heart. Fatal? YES! I have had on instance when I shot at a doe and she tried to duck the arrow and i still caught her in the vitals.

from HawkEyes wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Me too. I always aim a little low. Maybe if I shot a faster bow I wouldn't do this, but for now I do.

from Nic Meador wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

If you pay attention to a deer you can tell if it's comfortable or alert and knows something ain't right. shoot 'em high watch 'em die, shoot 'em low watch 'em go.

from jay wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Yes, I aim low but I don't consider that cheating - just good shot placement.

from Blue Ox wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Nope- that arrow goes right where i want it to. I'll actually aim forward just a hair, that way my broadhead smashes both shoulder blades & drops the deer on it's face. You can call THAT cheating if you want, I call it meat on the table.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Kenc7971 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Obviously, the problem with aiming dead on shoulder is the deer may duck the arrow. But, I've shot both straight on and low and killed deer. I watch the deer's reactions before deciding whether to aim straight on or low. If a deer is just walking through, head down, feeding along slowly, I tend to aim straight on for lung/heart. But, if the deer is alert in anyway, head up, looking at other deer, especially in my direction, or spooky or showing signs something is not right, I aim low.

from antlercrazy wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

micneador-great point!

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

When I'm in a tree I put the little red dot right where I want it to hit, let the dot drop about 1.5 inches and hit the release, works everytime. 23 to be exact.

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

We've got some deadeyes here, it doesn't sound like most of you have ever missed or even made a bad shot.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Dave, Going back to your first question. I would have guessed most bowhunters miss low or judge the distance to be closer than it actually is.

Judging distance is not as important as it use to be with todays bows dropping only inches out to 30 yards but the arrow is still angled down at impact. The downward trajectory is exacerbated by the downward slope from the height of the tree stand. When you shoot at a deer the arrow is already pointed down from the stand, then it continually falls while in flight. If you aim at the lower 1/3 of a deer the path of the arrow through the kill zone will barely hit both lungs. Also leaving very little margin for error.

Deer do jump strings and can duck an arrow at almost point blank range. I have seen it enough to know. It is simply a good practice not to shoot deer that are alert or tense to the area. Bow hunting is difficult enough without adding a jumpy deer into the mix.

Levi, I have missed more deer than most shoot in a lifetime. You learn a lot from missing.

from turkeycreek91 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

i didnt know aiming low was cheating but anyways if you aim low youre reading the deers behavior also the speed of your bow and how loud it is could play part in that you know the deer hear your bow shoot so theyre gonna try to duck it if they hear it before it hits them

from themadflyfisher wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I'm with "jay". I aim low everytime, and no it's not cheating, it's ensuring a good hit and it has always proved to be just that!

from NASCARon wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I agree... why is it cheating? It's smart if you ask me... knowing how a deer will probably react... aiming low makes good sense.

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I aim low, but I don't know that I would call it "cheating low." I have always aimed for a heart shot, just below the midline. If the deer ducks a bit, you catch the lungs, but if not, you get the heart. If I knew for certain that a deer would stand dead still as I shot, I would still aim for the same place.

from shane wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I aim between half way down and 3/5 down, and that's where I hit. I'm not compensating for any range mistake or the possibility of "jumping the string". The deer I shoot with an arrow are 20 yards and closer, and dead calm.

With a rifle or shotgun I aim a touch lower and a bit closer to the shoulder.

from shane wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Also, remember that a deer is a 3D object, and you have to "aim for the exit" knowing that the vitals are in the middle somewhere. This applies when you are shooting at an angle like from a tree stand. The above comment only goes for when the deer and I are on the same level.

from Quinton Schmelz... wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

the way I was taught was to aim for the heart, a very fatal shot. That way, if he ducks, then you hit double lung, but if he doesn't move at all, you still have a dead deer with a fairly shot blood trail.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

C'mon now guys; don't be so literal. By "cheating" I don't mean that your'e breaking an iron rule; what I mean is that many archers aim a little low as a hedge, in case a buck ducks the arrow. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that.
For the record, and despite the fact that my own anecdotal evidence suggests that more folk miss high, I do not cheat low as a rule. On most deer, I aim right where I want to hit them and I try not to shoot at nervous animals. On very close deer, however, I do purposely aim a little low. Not as a hedge, but because I shoot one pin out to 30, so it's a little high at 10 or less.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Buckhunter,
Regarding high vs. low misses, you may be right. As I said, I have only anecdotal evidence. But I think there are a couple of reasons to think more guys may miss high:
1. I think most treestand hunters draw with the aiming point above the deer and come down on animal with the sights. They get nervous and touch it off the second they see hair in the sight picture. High miss.
2. On very close shot from above, there's a tendency to lower the bow arm instead of bending at the waist, which tends to cause a high miss.

from Duckman1984 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Dave, I believe that you are right. When I started hunting, I mean really hunting, two years ago, I missed a lot. It was because I wasn't taking my time to aim properly. I could hit a 8" target at 40yds but was missing every deer that came in. Reason number one was the reason I did. After I took my first deer with a bow, I realized that I had not been taking my time to aim properly. The first deer I took with my bow happened so fast that I didn't have time to get nervous or excited, so I thought before I shot. Since then, I don't take a shot untill I get myself under control. I have missed a few opportunities because I would rather do that than alarm the deer, but those deer I passed always came back while the ones I missed avoided the area I shot at them in.

Shane, I have never heard anyone say "aim for the exit." I have never heard it put that way before. Makes sense to me. I'm gonna use it when I am teaching my little ones.

from Law Towsey wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

When I first started bow hunting I was introduced to a saying that is appropriate to the issue at hand...Hit 'em High Say Goodbye, Hit 'em Low Say Hello! I believe this says it all.

from Kevin wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I've always aimed at the heart, which sits lower than most hunters realize. With that aim I stay farther away from the 'dead spot' (above the lungs and below the spine). If I go low I just miss - if I go a little high I hit lungs. It's worked well for me and allows for a little string jumping too. Even on nervous deer less than 15 yds I've never had one duck the string, but I never shoot a deer looking right at me either. My theory - if they are looking elsewhere and hear a string thump they usually look first, not duck and run. That gives the arrow time to strike where it was aimed, right at the heart! I've shot 40+ deer with the bow and not one has ducked the string, so aiming low works (but that's not cheating).

from ckRich wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Wouldn't this fall into the same category as leading your shot? If deer commonly squat/duck at the sound of the shot, then you should expect that and compensate with your aiming point, hence aiming "low". What I believe is happening here is that some readers are interpreting low as below the deer. However, you are saying that you aim low in the target zone. The heart sits in the bottom of the target zone, so if you aim for the heart and the deer ducks, you will likely still hit the vitals. If the deer doesn't duck, well then you've just made a heart-shot then haven't you? Aim for the heart.

from ckRich wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Sorry for the double post. Dang spam filter...

from Don Mitchell wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

yup,i always aim a tad low and it works good for me

from huntnow wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

In my experience, micneador and Law Towsley are both correct, in the right context. Deer hit high with archery equipment are difficult to track while those hit low are much easier to track. Those hit high with a bullet are more likely to be bang flop than those hit low. However, like DEP has said before, it's nearly impossible to predict what the hell any of them are going to do when you send a projectile of any type through them.

from neuman23 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I like to aim at the top of the lower 1/3 of a deer. My point of aim is sometimes a little higher though, it all depends on the height of the treestand and the distance of the deer. For close shots you need to aim higher, for farther shots you do not. As Shane stated, you need to aim for where you want it to come out on the opposite side of the deer.

from Hurckles wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

i just sit in the tree and watch them walk past me out of bow range....

from SMShields27 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Yes, I usually cheat a hair low. Typically I aim for the heart. If the deer drops at the crack of the string you will usually have a double lung shot. If not you put it right in the boiler room.

from RylieGipson wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

last year i aimed at the center and 1 more inch and i would a shot high so i cheat low now.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

i put it right behind the shoulder, just a few inches below his vertical center....dont necessarily aim low.

from Duckman1984 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

I'm thinking about making a t-shirt that says "I Cheat Low!" on the front and a big buck on the back with the sights aiming low at the heart on the back...Sweet Huh?

from Duckman1984 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from peppeli wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Like others that have posted, I aim where I want to hit on deer that are not nervous. I may aim lower then center, but I am comfortable and confident with hitting that spot, or I wouldn't take the shot. The problem with aiming low is when in a tree. You have to think about where your arrow is going to exit and depending how high you are up and how close the animal is too you, you have to hold higher because the arrow is on a downward plane.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

i have always aimed low for just this reason.

from BG_Sea wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

I don't buy the jumpy vs. calm deer thing, but it could just be a muley thing. In California last season, I still-hunted upon a mule deer doe grazing. At first I had no shot and she glided behind a boulder, then back into view behind some brush. My best shot corridor was through a "V" of an oak tree at 23 yards that was closed off into a small triangle at the top by a crossing branch. As she grazed off to the left she stopped with her head behind the trunk and her lung area taking up the entirety of the triangle(I think I shook my head at my luck as I drew). I put the arrow right through the triangle and she ducked it, jumped forward and looked around. She was calm enough that she spent some time staring at where the arrow crashed into the brush downrange, then grazed uphill *towards* me. I lost the race between the slo-motion re-load and the inevitable wind swirl...but will be "cheating" low from now on!

from wibowhunter88 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I've missed deer high and low. I dont think there is a real sure way of cheating these animals. Experience and learning from your mistakes and misses are the only way a guy will minimize these errors.

from leachums wrote 2 years 35 weeks ago

I aim where I have the best kill shot which might be a tad low if the deer is skiddish

from Pa deer hunter wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

Over the years I have missed Both high and low. (mostly my own fault)I have learned that the best place for me to aim at a broad side deer with almost no shot angle is the top of the bottom third of the deer's body.(cheat low) More angled shots call for adjustments for this pracitce.

from drc wrote 2 years 34 weeks ago

I have killed over 70 deer in almost 30yrs of bow huntig and for the first few years I had a lot of misses and nearly all of them where missed high.A good freind who got me started into archery told me that some of those deer were jumping the string and that I should aim a little low but I had trouble remembering to do that so I started several years ago setting my sights to shoot about 3"low at known yardages I have had very good sucsess sence.

from Duckman1984 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I have never aimed low. I pretty much aim where I want to hit the deer.

from Nic Meador wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from jay wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Yes, I aim low but I don't consider that cheating - just good shot placement.

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from Hurckles wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

i just sit in the tree and watch them walk past me out of bow range....

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

micneador-great point!

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from turkeycreek91 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from themadflyfisher wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from NASCARon wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

With a rifle or shotgun I aim a touch lower and a bit closer to the shoulder.

from Quinton Schmelz... wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Sorry for the double post. Dang spam filter...

from Don Mitchell wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

yup,i always aim a tad low and it works good for me

from huntnow wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from SMShields27 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from RylieGipson wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from Duckman1984 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from Duckman1984 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from peppeli wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

i have always aimed low for just this reason.

from BG_Sea wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago