Best Days of the Rut 2011: November 12

Whitetail 365

November 11, 2011

Best Days of the Rut 2011: November 12

By Scott Bestul

Today is our pick for the Best Day of the Rut this year.

A big switch gets flipped. Although a few females have entered estrus earlier, today does far and wide will be ready to breed. With receptive does all over their territory, the oldest, largest, and usually wisest bucks will be all business about finding them.

Your job is to catch one of those bucks making a mistake. That means being  out there for every second of legal shooting time: no running to the diner for lunch, no midday nap. If you’re a stand hunter, you’re going to be strapped to a tree for a lot of hours today. But it won’t be one long vigil. Here’s the plan:

At daybreak you’ll be in a doe bedding area—the first time you’ve invaded that sanctuary this fall—full of nasty cover: a dogleg bend in a creekbottom, a brushy tangle on the edge of CRP land, or a long wooded flat in hill country. You’ll approach in darkness from a direction that avoids major food sources, and you’ll carry enough sustenance to keep you there until noon.

If a monster hasn’t wandered into that haven by then, you’ll make your only move of the day. Switch to a stand in a transition area between the thick stuff and a food source. The bull-of-the-woods will be checking feeding areas on their downwind side. He may come through quickly and silently, so keep your gun or bow ready.

If you’re a still-hunter, remember that bucks will be on their feet all day, beelining between the best bedding covers and feeding areas used by mature does. Map out all these areas the night before, check the wind forecast, and lay out a still-hunting route that will swing you through the top areas. Pack a lunch and extra clothing so you can stay in the woods from first light to last.

To see all the Best Days of the Rut, visit the Rut Reporters page and view the calendar to the right.

from chaslee wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

figures my wife has me going to a wedding tomorrow the 12th. Last day of archery in PA

from JDubYa wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

I saw plenty of does today but not a single buck. And I was in the woods from 7am to 6:30 pm

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

GOOD GOD!

9 PM and the bucks are running here in down town even!

from ADKHunter wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

i got scunked i saw nothing but chip and dale. so this wasnt one of the best days of the rut in my opion ,but im not going to get down on it because no one can predict these days to be 100% correct for seeing deer let alone have a crack at one.

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

We saw nothing all day either-northeast Ohio-8,500 acre public hunting area-good deer numbers, great habitat-mix of river bottom,hardwoods,overgrown fields,some swamp,and differing ages of stands of trees,some pines,some mixed hardwoods,some crabapple,and old fencerows.
It was real windy here though,same with today.
I'll be able to hunt mornings,and evenings all week,so maybe this will be the week.

from RangerDansDrink... wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Last weekend saw 3 nice bucks and no does. 2 of the bucks as I was driving into the forest ad spooked one as I was walking back to the car small game hunting. Those boy are looking far and wide for dates. When you see more bucks then does, the previous years doe kill was too high.

from shane wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Not the best time to be tracking...

Unfortunately, I had a wedding to go to on this day.

from gijustin wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

You may have been on to something with this day, at least in my part of the woods. I went out on the 12th and saw 8 deer. I harvested a nice 7 point at 8:30 in the morning. This year was much better than last year. I may come close to filling out my tags this year.

from tpbesone wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Field and Stream picked the right day in my neck of the woods. Shot a nice 174 lb 8 pt the morning of the 12th. Seen plenty of does this season but this was the only buck I saw all season so far. I was planning on hunting the 12th anyway since it was a weekend but Field and Stream got me all pysched up for a buck and it paid off. Good work guys.

from vasportsman wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

In my part of VA the action day was 11/11/11, saw 5 bucks and 7 does, action throughout the day, wasnt able to havest any of them unfortunately, still chasing, does are not standing yet.

from chaslee wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from JDubYa wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from Clay Cooper wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

GOOD GOD!

9 PM and the bucks are running here in down town even!

from ADKHunter wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from ohiodeerhunter wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

It was real windy here though,same with today.

from RangerDansDrink... wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from shane wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Not the best time to be tracking...

Unfortunately, I had a wedding to go to on this day.

from gijustin wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago