The Best Deal in Treestands Just Got Better

Whitetail 365

October 31, 2011

The Best Deal in Treestands Just Got Better

By Dave Hurteau

I just returned from my local Dick’s Sporting Goods where I bought two Comfort Zone Hunter Hang-On treestands for about $50! Here’s what I had to say about this stand last fall: There is no better deal I know of in hang-on treestands.

Let’s be clear: There are better—much better—hang-ons. The Hunter requires complete assembly. It does not have backpacking straps, and the platform is not huge at 20x24 inches. The seat is thin, and it does not attach to the tree as solidly as some.

But, this steel stand is reasonably light at 16.7 pounds (by my scale, ready to hunt). It is surprisingly quiet, with solid construction and plastic washers at virtually every contact point--it attaches plenty securely if you just fiddle with it a little--and unlike most cheapies, it features the same sort of quick-cinching strap (although more cheaply made) you find on expensive models, which makes for fast, easy hanging.

When I said that, the stand was priced between $34.95 and $39.95. Right now, online and at the stores in my area at least, the stand is going for a shockingly paltry $29.98. With a coupon, I paid about $25 each.

For the record, I have nothing to gain from plugging this stand. I’m just here to tell you, again, that if you like a bargain, go buy one. Or half a dozen.

from ejunk wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

I own two! I like last year's model a little better (oval platform with a foot rest), but this year's is still a great deal as you said.

from olinger302 wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Another cheap hang on that I found at the local outfitters was the Marksman Economy hang on. Like you stated its no where near the best hang on out there but it gets the job done and carries a price tag of only $21.99!

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

I'd much rather have 3 or 4 of these out in the woods than 1 really nice one.

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Key Words-"Fast,Easy Hanging"!

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

2Poppa,
Couldn't agree more. Got to my spot late tonight. Didn't hit the woods until after 4 p.m. Still, I managed to hang one of these stands quickly and get all settled in time to see deer. Came real close, in fact. Had a buck coming in, but a doe I never saw got downwind and screwed the whole thing up.

from spikehunter87 wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

We just bought 4 comfort zone tree stands for www.peartreegameranch.com. We have a lot of bow hunters coming down this year and anticipate they will love these. We'll report back after the season. Best of luck to all!

from Len Mazur wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Hello David,

I enjoy your blogs on Field and Stream. Pardon the usage of your comment field to bring this to your attention, but I could not find your contact info on the site.

I wanted to introduce you to visit a site my partners and I recently launched that is going to revolutionize the way hunters collaborate and share information about their hunting land. - http://huntsync.com

I invite you to register and play with the site- my aspiration is that you blog about us and/or provide us some feedback.

At the moment its totally free.

Please contact me should you wish to discuss further! once again, apologies for posting this to your comment board- I would have preferred to send you a private message.

Len Mazur
HuntSync Founder

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Dave- I always say, "give me 4-steps and one of these tree stands and I'll be more mobile in productive areas than most hunters!" (4-steps and a few limbs help too.)
Good Luck!

from wildcaller11 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

at that price a poor college kid like me can afford to get up in a tree

from jcomer23 wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

These are awesome stands. I borrowed one from a buddy of mine and was able to have up and ready in about 10-15 min. I will be purchasing a couple of these for next year for sure. i hope that I can find some with a foot rest. That is the only thing that would make these stand better (IMO)

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

2Poppa,

from ejunk wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

from olinger302 wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

I'd much rather have 3 or 4 of these out in the woods than 1 really nice one.

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Key Words-"Fast,Easy Hanging"!

from spikehunter87 wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

from Len Mazur wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Hello David,

At the moment its totally free.

Len Mazur