Breaking News: Buckeye State Monster Typical!

Whitetail 365

October 19, 2011

Breaking News: Buckeye State Monster Typical!

By Steven Hill

Stephen Esker, the Ohio crossbow hunter who shot a pair of 200-class whitetails  inside the Columbus city limits in back-to-back seasons and rented a helicopter to recover one of the bucks, shares news of yet another dandy Columbus bruiser that was taken last night by Ronnie Stevens with a Parker compound bow. Esker taped this massive 11-point typical with just over 196 gross inches and a net score of 189 and change. That’s a green score, of course, but Esker thinks the buck will rank among the top 16 typicals in the Boone and Crockett book after the 60-day drying period.

Stevens was driving home from his kid’s volleyball practice last week when he spotted the buck standing in a suburban bean field. He started knocking on doors, secured permission and quickly set up a trail cam. In a day he had photos, and a week later the buck was feeding right under his stand.

Stay tuned for more details.

from jjas wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Congrats to the hunter.

As spawl continues to eat up property and leasing prices many hunters out of hunting, small, suburban properties hunted with bows only is "joe average hunters" last refuge, IMHO.

And as you can see from the photo, there are some good ones around......

from Sage Sam wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Wowzers! The rack is impressive as can be, but what did that beast tip the scales at? He looks like a 300+ pounder.

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I'll admit it, he's bigger than mine...Congrats

from Hoski wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Nice deer for sure!

from Brendan wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Wow... that truly is a monster. Congrats

from Steven Milazzotto wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I would love to find one of those this weekend! Congrats!

from machinegunner wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

crazy! big deer! love the part of the helicopter to find the one! awesome, bet that cost a bit.

from Steward wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Urban/Suburban hunting definitely needs to be pursued...even if it means attending city council meetings to get certain city statutes changed.

After all, it's better that a hunter take it and make use of the meat, than to have someone hit the animal and total their Smart car...

from jbird wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Awesome deer! Wow! Congrats.

from Dances with Deer wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Great deer, congrats. Whether with fish or game though am no fan of the "stand or sit back and stretch your arms as far as you can look" while using a wide angle closeup to make the fish or game look much, much larger than it should in proportion to the lucky angler/hunter.

from mwmrtn wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Nice Buck! I agree w/Dances with Deer on the camera push and the arm stretch crap to make it bigger than it really is! It takes away something from the photo and puts doubt into your mind if its really legit!

from F150Green wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Congrats to Mr. Stevens!

from Nathan Alldredge wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

my congrats to you, well done and thank you for being the polite and professional hunter. its great to see people who respect someone elses property...

from Fred Latuch wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Awesome deer man ... send me a steak!!

from Steven Allen Vollmar wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Awesome Buck Ronnie, Congratulations! Man what a rush, to be in the stand and have that beast walking in......chills I tell ya. Can't wait to see more pics! For the 2 jealous guys that commented on how to properly hold your trophy for the pic while you use a professional camera, what don't you understand about a 196/189 TYPICAL score? Doesn't the #'s alone say enough? Keep your negative comments to yourself.

from jimurray wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Congratulations on that awesome buck. Wish I had those big deer walking around in my area!

from Deerguy12 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Great buck Ron! To the guys that think he is stretching his arms out to make this deer bigger! I know Ron and he is a big guy. I also have seen the deer in person and this deer is as incredible as you will see. It is truly a world class animal. Congrats again Ron!

from Marty Snively wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

@ the two guys with concerns of the picture presentation. Did you notice the main beam and tine length, mass, inside spread, etc. in correlation to the hunters hands, which are, by the way, right on the antlers. It's a good reference to use to judge the size of the antlers. There's plenty of mass and length, not to mention spread! It's big guys, come on....super nice Buckeye State Whitetail!

from cfchzhd wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Wow... We try to pride ourselves in nice Whitetaiks in Northern WI but this is AMAZING! Makes me really want to get back into hunting just to have something like this walk by my stand! Congrats and I hope that he will be filling the freezer and making one hell of a beautiful mount!!!

from Brian Thompson wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Damn something good in Ohio

from Basheer Benhalim wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Awesome Deer, just goes to show you what happens when you ask to go hunt!

from Michelle Cantrell wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

wow, grats man!!!! beautiful deer. the deer are all we got left to our state... we claim the rights of the best white tails around!!!

from GameChef wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

AWESOME BUCK!! Urban Archery is what I LOVE. I'm part of a program this helping me gain access to urban and suburban properties like this. Backyard Bow Pro...google it....could be the best decision you make in your hunting career. JJAS is right.....as big farmland is leased, we'll have to turn to these smaller urban and suburban areas for quality, affordable hunting experiences.

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

That is a HOSS!

from jusdane wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

What an awesome Buckeye Bruiser, great job fellow CBus hunter. To "Dances with Deer" and "mwmrtn" you are obviously jealous and spiteful. Look again, his left arm is bent almost 90 degrees even if his right arm is about straight (because the buck and rack are massive). He's sitting directly behind it, where else should he sit?. Great job Ronnie for spotting, knocking on doors getting permission and harvesting such a magnificent buck!

from Kevin Crouse wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

That is one huge deer. Ron is my cousin and he is a big man. No camera tricks here folks. Just one monster Ohio buck. Congrats Ronnie.

from Rick Wasser wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

That buck reminds me of the biggest buck I ever saw in my life. I was bow hunting back in the late 80's and was hunting in northeast Montana where I grew up and a few miles from the Canadian border. I popped over a hill and saw 5 nice bachelor bucks and one great big huge buck. I was to far away to take a shot. The big buck was laying down and could hardly hold his head up from the size of his horns and the other 5 bucks watching guard for him. I wish I had a picture to show how big his rack was.I just sat there staring in amazement of the wide 5 point buck which I know I will never see one that wide in my life again.He was over 4 feet wide at his horns.Breath taking.

from Joe Wilson wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Ho hum, another neighborhood pet bites the dirt.

from Triston Bowen wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Like one other said I am also Ronnie's cousins great job cous cant wait to se the monster mounted. I can guarent he didnt use any smoke or mirrors. He's a big man im 6"2 and weigh 230pounds and he still bigger than me. But yet agin congrats cant wait to see it.

from dbarry wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Seriously awesome buck! Congrats!

from cebeyer10 wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Wow! What a nice looking deer. That is a thick bodied deer. You should upload that pciture to www.bigbuckphotogallery.com

from michaelmagnelli wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Great shooting man. I am impressed. Keep up the GREAT work. You guys wont go hungry with shootin like´╗┐ that. Congrats.

from ray cummings wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

I agree with Joe. This was a neighborhood pet and was probably fed by some of the people living in the area. Not much "hunting" here.

from Eric Greene wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Nice Buckeye Buck.

from Bill Hansen wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

That buck is amazing. I sure wish we had some that big in SD.

from Dances with Deer wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Sage Sam wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from Steward wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Joe Wilson wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Ho hum, another neighborhood pet bites the dirt.

from ray cummings wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from Eric Greene wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Nice Buckeye Buck.

from jjas wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Congrats to the hunter.

And as you can see from the photo, there are some good ones around......

from OutdoorEnvy wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I'll admit it, he's bigger than mine...Congrats

from Hoski wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Nice deer for sure!

from Brendan wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Wow... that truly is a monster. Congrats

from Steven Milazzotto wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I would love to find one of those this weekend! Congrats!

from machinegunner wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Awesome deer! Wow! Congrats.

from mwmrtn wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from F150Green wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Congrats to Mr. Stevens!

from Nathan Alldredge wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Fred Latuch wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Awesome deer man ... send me a steak!!

from Steven Allen Vollmar wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from jimurray wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Deerguy12 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Marty Snively wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from cfchzhd wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Brian Thompson wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Damn something good in Ohio

from Basheer Benhalim wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Awesome Deer, just goes to show you what happens when you ask to go hunt!

from Michelle Cantrell wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from GameChef wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

That is a HOSS!

from jusdane wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Kevin Crouse wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Rick Wasser wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Triston Bowen wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from dbarry wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

Seriously awesome buck! Congrats!

from cebeyer10 wrote 2 years 24 weeks ago

from michaelmagnelli wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

from Bill Hansen wrote 2 years 5 weeks ago

That buck is amazing. I sure wish we had some that big in SD.