Nose Jammer Inventor Jams Up Iowa 12-Pointer

Whitetail 365

October 28, 2011

Nose Jammer Inventor Jams Up Iowa 12-Pointer

By Dave Hurteau

You may remember that back in February I had some fun with the name of this product—an aerosol spray containing vanillin extract that according to the website “jams big-game animal’s ability to smell.”

That post got a big response, so I feel obliged to update you with the latest from Nose Jammer, in which Jammer developer John Redmond “jams one up” and “bangs one out,” as he puts it.

What can I tell you? I’m a born skeptic. I need to be convinced, first hand. But I will say this: I know Ted Marum, who is not affiliated with the product but is mentioned in the video. Ted is unequivocally a no-B.S., stand-up guy and one of the best whitetail guides in the country. He was there and said that he can’t explain it, but those deer should have busted John. That doesn’t convince me, but it does pique my interest. So, if I can get my hands on some Nose Jammer, who among you would be willing to test it?

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Holy Vanilla Extract!
I do believe I'll be willing to test it.
I don't think it "jams big-game animal's ability to smell," perhaps they aren't alarmed and haven't associated the smell with danger.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

More of a attractant than a cover scent, and a bottle of vanilla extract from the grocery store is probably a heck of a lot cheaper!

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

You can probably tell that I'm having a little fun with this stuff, but of course it has potentially serious implications. If it doesn't work, then who cares? But as a friend of mine just asked in an email: "What if it does?"
Precisely? Would that be a good thing or a bad thing? I see another fair chase fight coming, but this time, Mike, I may well be on your side.
Anyway, let's ride it out and see what happens.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

That stuff works great! The deer was directly upwind and never smelled the hunter. Oh wait...

from steve182 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

I'd certainly test it if it were to show up on my doorstep. hint, hint. I won't be rushing out to purchase any at this point.

from jbird wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

I'd give it a try, why not? I don't buy the "Jams up" a whitetail's nose stuff, but maybe it is a usable cover scent or attractant??

from jbird wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

By the way, if you watch at the end of the video, you can see the wind blowing the leaves while this guy is blathering on about his product. Those deer were NOT down-wind at all!

from Hank111 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

I dont think Mike and I will have any disagreement on this one. We do argue about whether hunting over a feeding area is real hunting, which I will argue untill the end because fooling a field full of mature does and having a foolproof setup for the wind is the only way you have a chance of seeing anything. But the nosejammer and ozonics if they work at all as claimed really would take away a deers #1 defense which I think takes the fair chase away. A deer can see or hear you and get over it, but if they smell you, its over, which I think is the biggest battle in fairchase. I really doubt the nosejammer or ozonics is a miracle cure for a poor setup, but if it works as good as they claim I dont believe it would be fairchase and I would definately be sideing with Mike on this one. On this topic I can totally get in Mikes head and see where he is coming from, but I really doubt its a cure all for a poor setup.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

basically, if you could eliminate that deers sense of smell, you could legitimately hang a stand ANYWHERE you wanted. could change the game a little lol.

from Mille Lacs Whit... wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

I have been using this stuff all fall. It really does appear to jam their sense of smell, but some deer freak out when they hit the stream. Same reaction we may have if you open your eyes one morning and can not see.

In Illinois last week we had a mature doe get downwind and she starting stomping and blowing. We watched her run 60 yards, settle down, and take a power line cut into the food plot at the other end. 30 minutes later I killed her with my recurve at 25 yards.

Sent some to a friend in SD and he had a 155 whitetail get his wind and turn around and leave. He killed him 45 minutes later when the buck came in for the opposite side of his tree. Definintly has merit and word will spread.

Brooks Johnson

from reddobe13 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

i would be willing to try it

from chsntail wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

i would be willing to give it a try...

from rwminard wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

I'd give it a whirl. Until it is shown to spook them, no harm in trying it out.

from Whackdaddy wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Only a jackwagon would climb a stand perfectly upwind of the food source. Only a jackwagon would talk about arrowing a magnificent animal like that as "banging one out." If I get it for "free," the fact remains someone is funding the jackwagon's operation, so no, I wouldn't try it.

from Parker Ellis wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

I do believe that he SHOULD NOT have taken that quartering to shot. That is a very risky shot and he would have been sick had he injured that deer. You shouldnt have to ask your camera man if it was a good shot or not. YOU'RE SHOOTING THE BOW!

from ec_nick wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

there are some people around where I hunt here in Georgia that use it and say it works but I however am very skeptic of the product HOWEVER I would still like to try the product for myself before I came up with a final verdict

from Pa deer hunter wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

Here in Pa. you can't use scents and lures that contain any form of natural or artificial food stuff including, but not limited to, corn, apple and acorns. So would this stuff be legal?

from jbird wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Holy Vanilla Extract!
I do believe I'll be willing to test it.

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Anyway, let's ride it out and see what happens.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from jbird wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Parker Ellis wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Hank111 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

from Mille Lacs Whit... wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Brooks Johnson

from reddobe13 wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

i would be willing to try it

from chsntail wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

i would be willing to give it a try...

from rwminard wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

I'd give it a whirl. Until it is shown to spook them, no harm in trying it out.

from Whackdaddy wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago