Long-Range Practice Improves Bow-Shooting Form

Whitetail 365

November 07, 2011

Long-Range Practice Improves Bow-Shooting Form

By Dave Hurteau

Video Editor Mike Shea paid me a visit recently, and now you must suffer the consequences. This tip is about long-range archery practice, which not only makes shots at typical hunting ranges seem like gimmes; it also practically forces you to shoot with good form.

A few notes:

1.) Watching myself shoot reveals that I could stand to work on a couple aspects of my form: I’m grabbing at the handle too quickly after the shot, and I could improve my string-arm follow-through.

2.) As a clarification, when I said that “I really try to concentrate more on pushing the bow forward with my bow arm and pulling back with my string arm,” I meant to add, “as I’m taking the shot.” At release, it should feel like you are pulling the bow apart.

3.) In the interest of full disclosure, the 100-yard shot was actually a few yards shy; to shoot at exactly 100 I would have had to stand in a viburnum bush, which was already occupied by Mike Shea. Also, I’d hate for you to think we videoed 25 shots at 100 and showed you the only good one; so here’s exactly how it went down: I don’t have a 100-yard pin, so I needed to take a few shots to figure it out, via Kentucky windage, where to aim.

That done, I took two shots with the camera rolling, both of which hit in the targets “vitals” but about 10 inches apart. I told Shea I thought I could split the difference, and my third shot is the one you see at the end of the video. You know I wouldn’t lie to you, right?

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Dead-Eye Dave...

from Brendan wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Nice shootin

from lovetohunt wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Dave that is some good shooting.

I like to practice at long range up until about september, then its 50 yards and closer practice during that month. I remember last May I shot sbout 1,500 arrows that month, about 1,300 of them were from at least 50 yards.

This long range practice really helps folks.

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Great advice!

from Douglas wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Dave, Good practice tips and it looks like a fun pastime to shoot long. You ever get back here to hunt around Bangor?

from ckRich wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Nice shooting Dave!

from ALJoe wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Back in my days of pitching baseball in college I fell in love with long tossing before the game. I would throw at 120, 150, and 180 feet. When I moved back in to 60'6" it made the stike zone look huge. I have found the same is true in archery. When you regularly practice at long distances it makes those twenty and thirty yarders feel like chip shots.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

i regularly practice at 70-80 yards...it really does help. if you can hit a target that far, then a deers vitals look huge at 20.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Douglas,
Not as often as I'd like to. I used to go up and hunt grouse, deer, and/or turkeys at least a few times a year; but most of the old bird-hunting stomping grounds are too grown up now , and with two young kids it's not always easy to get away. It's a great place, though; I just love it up there. You're a lucky man, Douglas.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Another result of long range shooting is you become an expert finding arrows buried in the grass. I will admit to a lot of practice in this task. Dave, next week maybe some tips on finding lost arrows? It is an art form in itself.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Buckhunter,
Ha! I hear you; a potato hook does a pretty good job.

from stickngar21 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago

Been practicing long range shots the past two weeks, two days ago a doe walked by me a thirty yards and i double lunged her. Thanks for the advice!

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Dead-Eye Dave...

from Brendan wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Nice shootin

from lovetohunt wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Dave that is some good shooting.

This long range practice really helps folks.

from davycrockettfv wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Great advice!

from Douglas wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from ckRich wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Nice shooting Dave!

from ALJoe wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from scratchgolf72 wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Douglas,

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 22 weeks ago

Buckhunter,
Ha! I hear you; a potato hook does a pretty good job.

from stickngar21 wrote 2 years 19 weeks ago