Did You Get a Gun For Christmas, Too?

Whitetail 365

December 28, 2011

Did You Get a Gun For Christmas, Too?

By Dave Hurteau

Actually I got a winter restoration project—a Savage Model 24 in .22LR/.410 with good bores and solid wood but a very rough exterior. As far as I’m concerned, the Model 24 in this configuration is the perfect squirrel gun.

By the way, did you know that squirrel hunting makes excellent practice for hunting whitetail deer, the species about which this blog is solely dedicated?

As I was saying, it’s a fantastic squirrel gun, particularly for small woodlots close to populated areas, because you can use the .22 when your backdrop will stop a bullet and the .410 when it won’t. Plus it’s just a damned cool gun that I’ve always wanted to own.

A peep sight seems the obvious answer, but I’m toying with the idea of a vintage low-power Weaver or Lyman scope. It’s the one type that would not be an abomination on the gun; it would be well suited to close-range squirrels with the .22LR barrel, and (back to whitetails) with the .410 barrel, it would be great practice getting on a moving target through a scope.

Anyway, enough about my Christmas present. Did you get a gun, too? If so, let’s hear about it. On the other hand, if all you got was boxer shorts and a tie, you are more than welcome to talk about my new obsession—I mean, my gun. What do you think about the vintage scope idea? How about staining the wood a darker color? (I think yes.)

Recommendation on blue brands: Wonder Blue, Brownells Oxpho-Blue, Birchwood Casey Perma-Blue? (I’ve only used the last.) Any other thoughts?

from 007 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

When I was a kid, the neighbor kids had one of those old Savages and I lusted after it every time I saw it. If I can ever find one that I can afford these days, it will be going home with me. Great old gun, great post. Thanks, Dave.

from justinf87 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Remington 11-87 sportsman. Spring turkey is already calling my name.

from smccardell wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I didn't get a gun for Christmas but I gave my 3 oldest boys, 12, 13 and 14, H&R 20 gauge shotguns. I figured that way it would cost me less on ammo as they'd have to reload after each shot and teach them to take their time aiming.

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Great deer article Dave. I actually picked up a Mossberg 500 12ga cruiser for myself last week, which filled the empty spot a Pursuader had occuppied in the gun locker until I sold it a few Christmas's back for the kids to have a bit more fun.
More about uhm.. deer guns though. I recieved a couple of cabelas gift cards and am seriously considering replacing my favorite ..uhm.. deer gun. I typically carry an NEF Pardner single shot 20 in the squir... deer woods, but have always wanted a double gun for them and well, rabbits. I think I might exchange the cards and a bit more cash for a Stoeger Uplander 12 gauge. There's just some appeal to a break action gun and not a lot of affordable alternatives in a double.
Any Uplander lovers or haters out there? Assume that it would be relegated to small game and birds as there is a rifled slug gun in the locker.

from FOX wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I did get a gun for Christmas I got a Remington 870 wing master (used). It is a beautiful gun and it will last a good number of years.

from bass bomber wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I got a surplus Mosin nagant and my Grandpa got a Rossi .38 special for carry concealed.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

That's funny, jcarlin. I sold my Mossberg 500 12 gauge to pay (partially) for the Savage.

from mutt wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

can't agree more about that style of gun. I have a Stevens .22/.410 although I stayed with the block sights.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Have always wanted one of those nifty O/U .22/.410 squirrel guns. Hard to find them in the stores. I settled for a Stoeger .410 side x side which does the job.

jcarlin,
I haven't shot the Uplander, but I've heard pretty good things about it for the price. For the same purposes you mention I shoot an SKB Model 100 20 gauge, which I got used for a little under $500--a fabulous little gun for the money if you can find one.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

A little poking around online shows that an SKB Model 100 goes for a fair amount more than it did back when I bought mine about a decade ago. Still, a fine little gun.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

when i refinished my old model 110 savage a couple years ago, i stained it darker. looks great.
Did i get a gun for Christmas?... not exactly, but i am waiting for a custom rifle, so i guess i did.

from Ol Krusty wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I think that Santa, in all the hustle and bustle, forgot to swing by the Weatherby factory and grab a 257 Accumark on his way down to my place. I guess there's always next Christmas, at least I'll have a good reason to be nice this year.

from Ol Krusty wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from IND_NRA wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I ordered a RRA SBR 9mm AR-15 with a AAC suppressor. That was my gift to myself. I was up at 0400 like a little kid knowing that I would be unwrapping a Ruger Red Hawk in .44 mag, I am going to try handgun hunting next season. I think that it will turn into Christmas everytime that thing comes out of the gun cabinet.

from Douglas wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I'm jealous. I always wanted one of those too. I have always used plain tung oil on the project guns that I revived. 6 to 8 coats, light sanding or steel wool between coats.
If your eyes can handle the open sights, forget the scope, IMHO.
I had christmas in july last year and bought a kimber 84m in .308. Stainless on walnut. Put a nikon monarch 3-9 on it.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I'm jealous, too, Douglas, of your Kimber. Great rifle--and in the right caliber, too. I was this close to buying one in 7mm/08 years ago but balked at the price--always a mistake.

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks for the feedback Dave. Have fun too. Someone gave me an old Marlin single shot .22 a few years back that they had gotten from a neighbor who was cleaning out an old house in the family. It could just as easily have been found at the edge of a lake. It was nice to be able to refinish the stock and blue the barrel, plus do a little bit of file work at the reciever without worrying about "ruining" the gun. It was a project I otherwise would never have experienced and as much as I don't use that gun very often, I still have fond memories of the time spent and a bit of pride in the results.

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Also, over the course of the last few days I've convinced myself that if I do pick up a Stoeger double, it'll be a 20. I was considering the 12 to add some usefulness for the rare time I might get out goose hunting. I can put the field barrel on the slug gun (also a 500) for as often as that happens and will be much more happy with a 20 while small game hunting, which is a lot more frequent. I thank all posters for reminding me how much handier a 20 or .410 will be for that use.

from Douglas wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

jcarlin, My son has a stoeger side x side in 12 ga. He uses it for ducks, geese, grouse and rabbits. It has worked well for him, though it kicks like a steel mule. You can get additional chokes for it from trulock chokes.
Nice thing about it is if you drop it in the swamp, you haven't lost or messed up an expensive gun.

from Huron wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Excellent choice for an O/U, my favorite gun to carry when I first started hunting was a .22/.410. Great way to stay sharp shooting and not spend a fortune on ammo. I am going to buy one to have my two boys learn to shoot with in a year or two.

from huntenthusiest wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

This lucky buck got a Bushmaster Patrolmans Carbine. I guess a was gooder than I thought. I did give my grand nephew an old Daisy Lever Action Popgun that I had from childhood. He just loves it too.

from tleichty1989 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I got a 30-06 for my birthday about a month ago, but for christmas I got a beautiful Zeiss scope to mount on it. Vintage guns like this have so much history in them. I hope someday the gun I have now can be passed on to my son and so on... down the line

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks Douglas. I'm not sure if that re-muddies the waters for me or just convinces me that I'll need one in 12 and one in 20. Both(as always) sounds like a good option, but now we are getting pricey. hmm... a couple of gift cards, contents of the change jar, ditch some ammo and magazines for a rifle I no longer own.. maybe trade in both the Pardners for doubles of same gauge.. I bet this is doable without affecting the monthly budget. Doug, you're a genius!

from jcarlin wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Dave - Blueing products. I used the Birchwood Casey stripping and bluing when I refinished that Marlin 100. It was a first shot at it and I'm not sure the room temp of my garage was ok, or that I quenched it quite right. Stripping the old bluing and rust seem to go really well. Rebluing was straightforward following the directions. Was very happy with the immediate results. A year down the line I wasn't so sure. 6 years after the fact I definitely feel it should have held up better and could probably use to be redone. No rust on the barrel has taken hold, but the bluing now appears very mottled in different shades. Part of that might be attributed to a buddy I lent the gun to for a couple of years and when I got it back the action was rusted shut. It might have been leaning in a corner of the yard for all I know. Took a week of soaking in break free before I could cycle the bolt and clean it out.

from BigJim wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

jcarlin - The Uplander is available as a 12/20 gauge combe set.

I was looking at them a few years ago, but didn't quite like the fit. With a little looking around I found a 20 gauge Stevens 311 for half the price.

Big Jim,
You are right! I'd come across, but completely forgot about that. I think I'm down to going someplace where I can handle all 3. If the 20 guage is just as bulky at the action as the 12, that might simplify things, but if the 20 is a noticeably slimmer action than the 12 or the combo I have some thinking to do.

Dave, sorry for hijacking post.

from kykent wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I didn't get a gun this year, but I did buy my 7 1/2 year old son a Red Ryder BB gun - with the appropriate eye protection, of course! It's a big hit and has been a great way to teach gun safety.
Now to go a little off-topic - in addition, we found out pretty quickly that my son, although he is right-handed, is left-eye dominant. The initial tip-off was the way he craned his head over the stock to look down the site with his left eye.
I do have a question(s) for you all - Should I teach him to shoot left-handed? Should I tape over the left lense of his shooting glasses? Should I just let him figure it out? His hand-eye coordination is pretty good so I don't want to screw that up.
Thanks!

kykent,
He's young; I would teach him to shoot left-handed. Just my two cents.

jcarlin,
No worries.

from Noelie84 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Gave myself a used Mossberg 395KB in Excellent condition, does that count?

from Badgerfan16 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I picked a new ruger 10/22 with a stainless steel barrel and a synthetic stock in real tree snow camo

from Kevin wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I'm surprised that no one has commented that it is a violation of law to buy a gun for someone else, and especially a minor. I see the reasoning to a point but when a parent wants to gift one to his children at Christmas/birthday time its ridiculous! A Cabelas near me will almost always ask, especially around Christmas, if the gun being bought is for a gift. If you make the mistake of saying 'yes' they will NOT sell one to you, period! My father-in-law experienced this a year or two ago and about came unglued. Of course if you say 'no' or they don't ask you will be able to buy. Just thought I'd bring this issue to light, anyone else experience this??

from kykent wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks Dave for you two cents, I appreciate it. I'll see what I can do.

from Jason Murphy wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

my grandfather had one it is still in his gun cabinet wish I could get my hands on it!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I haven't acquired a gun since 1972. Don't need any more than four (two shotguns and two rifles).

I would recommend getting rid of that white wood altogether. Stock swells up in moist or wet conditions and then it gets loose after it dries up. Also any future dings show up light against a dark stained white wood. Looks like crap no matter what you do. Pick up a nice new walnut stock and fore end from Boyd's completely fitted and oil finished for just a hundred bucks.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Sorry, here's the website for Boyd's: http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Replacement-Stocks-Savage-s/37.htm

from 007 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

On the topic of side by sides, I was talking to one of the rabbit gang recently about that. If I rabbit hunted more, I'd be on the market for a .410 or maybe a .28 SxS. Sadly, seeing rabbits in any number around home is akin to seeing a herd of elephants, they just aren't there anymore. I've never understood that, why are there so few reasonably priced SxS or O/U shotguns available? I thought Remington hit a homerun with the Spartan line but somebody apparently didn't agree. Oh well.........happy new year, all!

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I did receive a new gun for Christmas- my wife came up big and agreed to buy a Blaser R8 for me! I just have to go to the store and pick it out...

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

007, I think you know the answer. These days it's all about filling the air with as much shot as fast as possible. That's the whole idea behind introducing the 3.5" magnum automatic. No, actually, the "whole idea" was to get people to buy something new that they probably didn't really need. Side by sides just don't fit into the present marketing plans of the technocrap industry.

As to your rabbits disappearing. Be patient. They run in cycles. You're probably at the bottom. Give it a couple of years and they'll probably be all over the place again. You might also have a ferel cat problem that needs fixing.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Great option, Ontario Hunter. Thanks much for your input.

from LaBowman wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I got the 30-30/20 gauge back in 1982 as my first rifle. With open sights I was 4 of 5 on one shot kills, including a 10 pt w/ 19" inside spread. It's a great all-purpose gun. I took it to shoot woodies on flooded property near Angola Prison and had a nice 8 pt slip up on me across the slough. Just make sure you don't get the barrel selection wrong when shooting ducks. They're really hard to hit with the 30-30!

from KWIDEL wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I recieved a beautiful browning BPS Trap model shotgun from my father. It was his prized possesion for many years and was gracious enough to pass it down to me. I plan on enjoying it for many years and then passing it down to my son or daughter when they get older. thanks dad

from Happy Myles wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

In California the transfer of rifles or shotguns to a minor is a misdemeanor, with two exceptions: First, the transfer or loan to a minor by the minors parent or legal guardian or by the minors grandparent with the express permission of the minors parent or legal guardian. Secondly, a loan requires the same restrictions.

Probably, would be wise to do the transfer or loan in writing. Believe it has to be for the purpose of "lawful recreational sports". Which is a whole different subject.

from RockySquirrel wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

My second gun (after a .22) was a savage 24v in .222 and 20 gauge, Had it outfitted with a see though scope for Turkey. Just never went Turkey hunting. Not it sites in the back of the cabinet and gets oiled once a year when I go through and clean them all.

from 007 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Honker, you're probably right on the money about the shotgun market, and as to the cats, I know you're right, in addition to a plentiful population of huge red tailed hawks and coyotes.

from KWIDEL wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Happy miles, I'm a 30 year old married father of two that lives in Illinois. Also I am a current foid card holder and a legal transfer was made

from Happy Myles wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

KWIDEL

Many apologies, my entry was directed toward Kevin not you. He indicated it was illegal to transfer firearms to minors. I was just stating California regulations which are pretty restrictive and follow Federal regulations , obviously various local, state regs may vary. Again, Kindest Regards to all

from old_greenie wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

I got my wife a Savage AXIS 7mm08 for christmas

from RES1956 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Best wishes for your winter project, it seems project guns attach themselves to us more than new guns sometimes. You guys mentioned a SKB 100, those were great little guns. I had a SKB 280 20 ga, 25 1/2" IC & IM barrels, never figured that out but it was a great gun. The english stock on the 280 was much to my liking, I guess there was too much influence from Jack O'Connor and Nash Buckingham. I used it to kill my first greenhead back when 3" lead #4's were legal.
Enjoy your project.

from KWIDEL wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

happy miles, no harm done, sorry for the miss understanding

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

i have stevens .410/.22 that was my great grandpas. when i was 12 got a 12 gauge mossberg 500 cant beat it. oh yeah i can hit a kitty litter jug with .22 mini-mags from about 75 yards with iron sight on that neat little gun

from Matt Weeks 17 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I got a mossberg 500 last year and this year I got a Thompson Center Black Diamond .50cal! Also this year I got a savage .22!

from eginzberg wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

For Christmas, I was given my Great Gandaddy's Springfield model 15 bolt .22 made in 1938! haven't shot it yet but I cleaned it up and it is in real good shape!

from dasmith wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

My father shot his first and only turkey with the a Stevens .22/410, using the 410, when he was in his late 40's - early 50's. They are useful for many types of game.

from ALJoe wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Bought Dad a .22 for Christmas. His gun cabinet is slam full but for some reason he wanted a new .22 automatic. When we gave it to him he was out the door faster than when Ralphie got his new Red Rider bb gun. I didn't know a 67 year old man could have so much fun shooting squirrels and plinking cans.

from WhiteTailHunter15 wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

Brand new mossberg 500 with field barrel and rifled cantilever barrel fer the deer woods up here in western new york

from billyjo bondurant wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I got a gun cabinet.

from marycgreaney wrote 2 years 15 weeks ago

I got one and love it I actually got a new pistol and 30-06 I got them from Firearms For You they were great to work with and have a wide selection to choose from

from smccardell wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from FOX wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from justinf87 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Remington 11-87 sportsman. Spring turkey is already calling my name.

from bass bomber wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from mutt wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Ol Krusty wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Ol Krusty wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from IND_NRA wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

If your eyes can handle the open sights, forget the scope, IMHO.

from Douglas wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Huron wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from huntenthusiest wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from tleichty1989 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from BigJim wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

jcarlin - The Uplander is available as a 12/20 gauge combe set.

Big Jim,

Dave, sorry for hijacking post.

from kykent wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks!

kykent,
He's young; I would teach him to shoot left-handed. Just my two cents.

jcarlin,
No worries.

from Noelie84 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Gave myself a used Mossberg 395KB in Excellent condition, does that count?

from Badgerfan16 wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from kykent wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Thanks Dave for you two cents, I appreciate it. I'll see what I can do.

from Jason Murphy wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago

Great option, Ontario Hunter. Thanks much for your input.

from LaBowman wrote 2 years 16 weeks ago