March Madness: The Sweet Sixteen of All-Purpose Deer Rifles

Whitetail 365

March 20, 2012

March Madness: The Sweet Sixteen of All-Purpose Deer Rifles

by Dave Hurteau

VOTE FOR DIVISION II AND SEE THE RESULTS OF DIVISION 1 HERE

Basketball? What basketball? All I know is that March means the Sweet Sixteen of Deer Guns and Ammo. Two years ago, the .30-06 won the title of Whitetail Cartridge Champ. Last year, the venerable Marlin 336 won the title of Whitetail Brush Rifle Champ. This year, it’s the all-arounders. That is, whitetail rifles that are light enough for the mountain, quick enough for the woods, tough enough for the swamp, accurate enough for the prairie, and not too hard on the wallet.

It’s a tough category because there are so many good general-purpose rifles today. So as usual, to cover my butt and get in on the fun of complaining about the rankings, I let someone else choose them. This year, F&S Contributing Editor Lawrence Pyne picked our players, with instructions from me to go with: [1] the latest version of any still-produced model, [2] only widely available discontinued models, and [3] non-custom, affordable models (read under $2,000).

And so, with those caveats, below are his seeded selections (which I encourage you to take issue with).

Let's get started. Check out the bracket (you can click here to print out a copy if you want to fill it out by hand). Then vote for your preferred all-purpose deer rifle in each matchup below to begin the first round of play for Division I. We'll follow up with Division II, then move on the Elite Eight, Final Four and finally the F&S All-Purpose Deer Rifle Championship.

Division I
1. Winchester Model 70: The rifleman’s rifle is back better than ever, and the Featherweight version is both easy to carry and deadly at long ranges. Jack would approve.
2. Savage 11/111: One of several modern variations of the venerable Model 110, this one features Savage’s proven AccuTrigger and new AccuStock.
3. Weatherby Vanguard: Weatherby changed the face of American firearms more than 50 years ago. Its latest rifle features guaranteed sub-MOA accuracy, standard calibers, and an eye-catching price (MSRP: $599).
4. Browning X-Bolt: Sleek, fast, and loaded with innovative features, it's arguably the best bolt-action rifle Browning has ever built. It’s an A-Bolt, only better.
5. Ruger Model 77: Like all things Ruger, it’s rugged, reliable, and a proven performer. The LC6 trigger on the new Hawkeye models make it more accurate than ever.
6. Thompson/Center Encore: The one-shot gun for all seasons. Interchangeable barrels let you switch between muzzleloader, slug gun, and more than a dozen centerfire cartridges.
7. Marlin 308MX: It’s basically the 336—a classic brush gun—but in a caliber that offers legitimate long-range performance. That said, the trigger can’t compare to the best bolts.
8. Remington 7600: No gun provides quicker, more reliable follow-up shots in thick cover than this proven pump, yet with a 22-inch barrel, it can still reach out and touch ’em. Again, too bad it doesn’t have a better trigger.

Division II
1. Remington Model 700: Perhaps the most popular American bolt action ever made, even though it’s a push feed. Its time-tested accuracy has only been enhanced by the new X-Mark Pro trigger.
2. Kimber 84M Montana: The lightweight champ of production bolt rifles. Its blind magazine isn't for everyone, but hey, a gun weighing only 5 pounds, 6 ounces, has to have at least one tradeoff.
3. Sako Model 85 Hunter: This Swedish import has great lines, a lustrous finish, and a silky smooth action. It doesn't come cheap, but it’s one fine rifle.
4. Thompson/Center Icon: A thoroughly modern firearm that is still pleasing to the eye, it is one of the most accurate out-of-the-box rifles on the market. If only it was a pound lighter.
5. Savage 99: A classic lever that was ahead of its time and remains in high demand despite being out of production for 15 years. It's old-school cool. But mounting a scope is tricky and the trigger is only okay.
6. Marlin X7: Loaded with premium features--adjustable trigger, pillar bedding, button-rifled barrel, and fluted bolt action—it’s a best buy at under $400.
7. Ruger No. 1: If you’re a really good hunter, this single-shot is all you need. A compact killer that looks as good as it shoots.
8. Browning BAR: Reliable and surprisingly accurate, it’s the gold-standard in autoloaders. But it’s a little clunky and no lightweight, especially in magnum offerings.

Sweet Sixteen Whitetail All-Purpose Tournament: Division I

from Hunter_Fass wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I would have liked to have seen the Tikka in the bracket somewhere. There’s always next season I guess.

from uplander12 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Your bracket is set up all wrong. 1's & 2's shouldn't have to face each other in a 2nd round match up.

from chriswood3222 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I think they should also do a shotgun one too.

from Jason Heutzenroeder wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Need to fix the Brackets. 1 and 2 dont face each other in the 2nd round of anything ever.

from Jason Heutzenroeder wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

The Tikka T3 should have been in one of the brackets. Barrel and trigger by Sako. Light weight, accurate and built tough.

from Matt McMurray wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

as said before, bracket needs fixed. my view/vote results were also messed up showing them out of order, and showing the value of the next bracket you had not voted on yet.

I've got a savage/stevens(m110) and a win m70, I won't like to vote that round....

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Thanks uplander and Jason,
Brackets are fixed now.

from jamesti wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

man, i was waiting for this! gonna be some great matchups this time around. i've never had any problem with the trigger on my 99 in .300. where did that come from?

from srlarson wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

really a savage 99 rather than a winchester 94? and two inlines both from Thompson??? Really??? I question this list......

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

jamsti,
My 99 is in .300 Savage, too. The trigger is pretty good, but I must admit, it's no AccuTrigger.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

srlarson
We're happy to have you. We welcome readers of all gun-knowledge levels.

from uplander12 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Still not correct. The 3/6 & 4/5 matchups need to be switched as well.

from redfishunter wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

There also seems to be a glitch to allow you to vote more than once. I voted earlier, and it showed the results a while, but now I can vote again. Don't worry, I'll only vote once. Until the Remington 700 is on the ballot.

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Not even a mention of a semi-auto from Heckler & Koch such as the SLB 2000+? That is at least on par with the BAR if not better.

from Tampanavsniper ... wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Even thou I am a proud owner of not one but three Savages I had to vote for the M70 carried one for years and it is still the best 30.06 ever In Savages the .308 Tactical still makes my heart skip a beat always.

from Wes Few wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

When / where do we vote on division 2?

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

What about the Remington 740/7400?? You writers need to stop listening to Petzal, Hunters clean their guns and I guarentee I can accurately outshoot anyone with a 760! I'll shoot my 5th shot before they shoot their 3rd!

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Bobby Morgan wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I didn't like the pairing of the Win.Model 70 and the Remington 7600. Two classics, but bolt vs pump? Not sure that is a good bracket.

from Tim Owen wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

cant beat a savage

from jay wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Tikka T3 should have been on the list somewhere, probably should replace the TC Icon.

from Jerry Thomas wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Used A Savage11/111 for the first time last Nov in Texas. I ordered one when I got home. A very accurate well made gun!

from Bill Mason wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I installed the Timmey 870 Trigger Fix on my 7600. It is a different rifle now.

from plainsman wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

The Sako 85 is from Finland, not Sweden.

from Lawrence Pyne wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Hunter_Fass, Beekeeper and jay: The T3 was on the bubble. It's a fine rifle that scores well in the value category. But in the end I went with two domestics (308MX and Icon). I guess that makes me a homer, but at least the USA is still a power conference... plainsman: you're right. I must have had blondes on the brain...

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Division I is interesting, but I think Div. II has it all over Div. I! But who will foul out?

from buckmeister2 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

How is putting a scope on a Savage 99 tricky??? They have been factory drilled since 1950, and bases are readily available. As for the 99 over the Win. 94....no brainer. The 94 cannot compete in accuracy or variety of potent calibers. Sure, it is handy, and nostalgic, but those were the selection standards.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Right, buckmeister,
But my 99, like plenty of others, is from before 1950.

from William Larsen wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

How about an AR-10 in 308, 16" barrel, with adjustable stock, scope on top rail, red dot, or open sights canted to the side for close up, or maybe an AR-15 in 6.5 Grendel(1200 yd accuracy).

from canardnoir wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

The only thing about those MOA out-of-the-box models is the question about barrel break-in and whether or not that degree of accuracy might change after 200 rounds?

Back in the day it seemed to always take 100 rounds before we'd even try to tweek accuracy with handloads. Then came the BOSS-like devices that offered a mechanical fix for 2" groups.

Now we have cryo-barrels, custom projectiles and powder loads that can produce 3-4-5/10ths of an inch groups for a few dollars more.

While not a scientific study, I've long-been of the opinion that our rifles were generally more accurate than their owners. And I don't believe that theory has changed too much over time...

from jmeerpohl wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I like the Browning BLR as a better choice than the BAR or Marlin 336 as an entrant into the final 16 IMHO. Also, the Savage 16/116 is the top of the line Savage bolt that has all of the best value features from the Savage folks. I own several and they are first class hunting rifles, available in lots of Deer cartridges too like 250 and 300 Savage, 260 Rem, 270 Win, 7-08 Rem, etc.

from Daniel Allison wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

The Tikka T3 is the best value on the market today. It shoots 3/8" inch groups with factory ammo. I would not trade it for any two on your bracket.

from plinkster wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

It's going to be fun to find out the winner

from fishtronics wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

WHAT!?! No Winchester 94 in 30-30???

from Mark Stapleton wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Interesting subject. likewise Tikka should have been a no brainer , also 16 instead o0f 11, Venture Weathershield instead of Icon, and BLR 3006 , Hard to beat the Vanguard S2 in 257 mag , 7mm08, 308 etc . Great valAn outsider would be the Rossi 4570 lever but not fot the longer shots . Mark Australia.

from dodom wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Give me a light rifle that's easy to handle and I'll take it to the ends of the earth and back. The model 70 a good one, just isn't that rifle. As a left hander, a lever in any caliber over 243 is ideal as the best all 'rounder.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

It's kind of a modern bracket but a few good old staples.

from Steiner wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

like the bracket! and people need to complain less and enjoy more!!!

from ssgmonkey wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I’m surprised that the Winchester 94 didn’t make the list or the Ruger Gunsite Scout. No matter the winner of the bracket I'll still use my grandfathers Remington model 725 in 30-06 Springfield.

from jhjimbo wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

won't the rifle with the highest production numbers invariably win if people vote for rifles they own ??

from tucker301 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

The Winchester 94 has probably killed more deer than all of the others combined. It's a travesty to leave it out.

from BearDog wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Sako is Finnish - not Swedish.

from Bob Meluskey wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

and where is the marlin 336c in 35remington cripes i have mine for 40 years hasn't failed me yet so far two generations have gotten deer with this firearm great woods rifle

from Bob Meluskey wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

note should be taken how about the remington model 700 mountain rifle lightweight packs a punch with the mix of calibers plus its a remington

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

First Round,

I would either pick the Winchester model 70 or the Savage 11. If I had an option to use the Winchester model 70 compact I would take it over any in the first bracket

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Bob,
I've got a 336 in .35 Rem, too. Great gun, but not for all-purpose, IMO. It won our Brush Rifle title. Same with the 94, which took second behind the 336.

Gtbigsky,
I hear you: I've got a Model 70 Classic Compact in 7mm-08 that I absolutely adore.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Bob,

Gtbigsky,

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Oops. Sorry for the double post.

from Donnie Wayne Mckay wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

the rem 7400 30.06 needs to be in there. have had mine for over 12 yrs an i wouldnt trade for 5 of any other gun made. i've taking game from 25yrds out to around 650yrds with a single shot. everyone i know complains that they are bad to jam but the way i see it any gun will jam if you dont keep it clean and mine hasn't failed me not once.

from Donnie Wayne Mckay wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

My bracket prediction is a shootout between th M-70 and M-700 in the championship game.

from CCMJS wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

A shotgun sweet 16 would be fun.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I have 2 Savage 99's that I'll put up against anything for MOP at 150 yards offhand!

from Ben Blaker wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

What happend to the CZ550 series ? They surely deserved a place here !!

from Buckmaster909 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Savage has got this one in the bag! Best rifles EVER!

from Gary Blunk wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Hey Goon. Sako is made in Finland, not Sweden. How can we take you seriously if you don't even know that?

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Hunter_Fass wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Bobby Morgan wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from plainsman wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

The Sako 85 is from Finland, not Sweden.

from jay wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Jerry Thomas wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from uplander12 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from chriswood3222 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

I think they should also do a shotgun one too.

from Jason Heutzenroeder wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Jason Heutzenroeder wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Matt McMurray wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

jamsti,

from Tim Owen wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

cant beat a savage

from Bill Mason wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

I installed the Timmey 870 Trigger Fix on my 7600. It is a different rifle now.

from Daniel Allison wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from fishtronics wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

WHAT!?! No Winchester 94 in 30-30???

from Mark Stapleton wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Donnie Wayne Mckay wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Thanks uplander and Jason,
Brackets are fixed now.

from srlarson wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

srlarson
We're happy to have you. We welcome readers of all gun-knowledge levels.

from redfishunter wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Tampanavsniper ... wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from Wes Few wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

When / where do we vote on division 2?

from Lawrence Pyne wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Longbeard wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from buckmeister2 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Right, buckmeister,
But my 99, like plenty of others, is from before 1950.

from canardnoir wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from dodom wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Steiner wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

like the bracket! and people need to complain less and enjoy more!!!

from jhjimbo wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from tucker301 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from BearDog wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Sako is Finnish - not Swedish.

from Bob Meluskey wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Bob,

Gtbigsky,

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Bob,

Gtbigsky,

from Dave Hurteau wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Oops. Sorry for the double post.

from Donnie Wayne Mckay wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from CCMJS wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

A shotgun sweet 16 would be fun.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Gary Blunk wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from uplander12 wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

Still not correct. The 3/6 & 4/5 matchups need to be switched as well.

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 2 years 4 weeks ago

from William Larsen wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from plinkster wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

It's going to be fun to find out the winner

from steve182 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

It's kind of a modern bracket but a few good old staples.

from ssgmonkey wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Bob Meluskey wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

from Ben Blaker wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

What happend to the CZ550 series ? They surely deserved a place here !!

from Buckmaster909 wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago

Savage has got this one in the bag! Best rifles EVER!

from jmeerpohl wrote 2 years 3 weeks ago