Poll: What Do You Think of QDM?

Whitetail 365

April 25, 2012

Poll: What Do You Think of QDM?

By Dave Hurteau

As I wrote way back in the February 2011 “Deer Crazy” cover story: “There are more divisive letters (FOX, MSNBC) but not among modern deer hunters.” As a group, I think we are undeniably split on Quality Deer Management. What I wonder, though, is just how the split breaks down. So, I ask you, very simply:

What do you think of QDM?

As always, feel free to explain your answer in the comment section below.

from pfettig77 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I'm on the fence because it's a great way to grow big deer, but I'd hate to tell some excited 11 year-old or some guy who doesn't get a chance to hunt as often as he like that they can't shoot a 6-pointer because of QDM. If people want to do it, they should, if they don't, they shouldn't.

from Hank111 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

It's a great concept, but sometimes people go overboard with their doe harvest. Each farm needs to be evaluated to make smart harvesting decisions. Some people around here have taken the doe harvest way too far, trying to get the buck doe ratio to 1 to 1, thinking they will see more intense rutting behavior, but end up having the bucks move to areas that have more does.

from makersman wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

There are way to many factors that are out of your control to try to manage a deer herd. Food, water, weather, predation, poachers, and legal neighbors who don't share you managment ideas. You can only do your part and hope that the other peaces fall into place.

from thedraketaker wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

we're out here to live, eat, and breed. not to eat antlers. letme know how they taste.

from thedraketaker wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

pfettig77, hank111, makersman +1 to yall. my hats off.

from JettPack wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

To each his own on this, but it's not for me

from jamesti wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

i hunt for food so any deer is a trophy for me if it is legal. but at the same time i see the positive sides to it by allowing deer to mature. i wouldn't pass up a huge buck if it happened by!

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I hunt to put meat in my freezer, period, last year I killed three does, no bucks, do I feel bad because I didn't tag a buck? Hang on a second I have to flip my venison on the grill, I'll get back with you after I'm done eating!!! Horns, Horns, Horns, Mass, Spread, Points, Score, Shooter, Stud, Bruiser, Monster. Who gives a rats azz!

from mspl8sdcntryboy wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I also am on the fence because there are a lot of areas where QDM helps deer populations and health, but there are are also a lot of areas where deer herds should be left to natural selection, where older deer are killed and eaten by natural predators. Too many pro's and con's to vote either way.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

The deer herds around the country boomed long before the term "QDM" was ever written. IMO, QDM is just another way to suck money out of the hunters pockets.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from Pray- hunt-work wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I voted on the fence. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it doesn't take away from the hunting experience. I'm all for Holding out for the rack you want. To me it's more rewarding when it happens. What Gets me is the leased land hunting, or private property. If your land is not posted, Please enjoy and respect my land. If your land is posted, please go home and use your land.

from Bryan01 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I think QDM is a generally positive development - so long as it is left up to the individual hunters whether to practice it or not. When hunting regulations start implementing anter restrictions, then it has gone too far.

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Come opening day, we have had as many as 24 hunters all around our 400 acres, about half within 50yds of the fence and some in tree stands along the fence? Why? Likely because we have year round food sources, water and a couple of sanctuaries. About 200 acres are in pasture, 100 in CRP and the rest in woods. The state requires "4 on one side" for bucks and we shoot does for our meat, as do most of our guests. The big ones are there as we see them occasionally, usually before and after the season. Therein lies the challenge. When you have one of them in close, you have the choice to close the deal or enjoy the feeling of letting him walk to live another day. It's a personal thing.

from hawndog wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

A trophy deer is the one that makes you happy that day. It is best not to shoot every deer that passed by, but after several days or weeks without a kill, that 4 pt becomes a trophy deer.
Many of the antler restrictions are insane. I have yet to come accross a deer that will let me walk up to him with a tape measure before I shoot.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I'm ok with it but, I feel this may be the end to deer hunting though. This has lead to rampant leasing and this weird antler craze. I haven't been bit by the antler bug and hope to never be.

from Baileymade wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

QDM it's self seems to be split into factions. In theory I like it, unfortunatly there are too many people out there serving as ambassadors to QDM that will treat people very poorly for shooting an 'inferior deer'. In my mind, it really comes down to what a particular hunter is happy with and it is not my place to judge. If some of the more vocal people out there honored this idea there would probably be more support for QDM.

from 4CORN wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

love is a strong word. i agree with qdm principles. people confuse antler restrictions with qdm. the idea of qdm is a balanced herd. this can sometimes mean letting a nice 2 yr old 8 point walk and shooting a 7 yr old 6 point.

from jjas wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

It's tough for folks without the resources to actually practice QDM. They may be on public ground or on small private parcels and may have one opportunity to fill a tag for a buck or a doe. In that case I say fill it with what you want. This is when the DNR in that state needs to make more doe permits available (if necessary) or limit bucks to one per season (if necessary).

If you own/lease hundreds of acres and can afford to be choosy about what you kill, I say have @ it.

In other words, I don't care what you take as long as you utilize it. The trophy is in the eye of the beholder and every situation is unique to that hunter.

I will say that trophy hunting and leasing is squeezing many hunters out of the game and in the long run, fewer hunters means fewer voices and fewer voices leads to less influence in your state and in the nation.

from Don Mitchell wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I started hunting 57 years ago when i was 14 years old,and I don't think much of the QDM Theory.
You may get some big deer out if it,but most of those that support it only want big and bigger racks, and if they are deny this fact,they are only fooling them selfes.as for Bockhunte and Walt smith, thumbs up.
PS,I have a trophy (wall)of racks from does ,spikes on up and you know what?,they all tasted the same.
Just my opinion.

from Don Mitchell wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Just my opinion.

from Don Mitchell wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

sorry about the double post

from Mike Diehl wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

On this matter, I agree with Dcast.

from Baileymade wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I agree with jjas, as a person in his late 20's with a wife and child, I can barely afford to hunt. Thankfully my wife loves to hunt as well so it is a priority to my family but we live in Texas were there is little public land to hunt and most of what is available seems to attract some real dangerous idiots. QDM, big money, high fences, and game ranches have nearly ruined hunting for average Joe's in my state simply by pricing everyone else out of the game.

from missedit wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Everybody would a nice rack on the wall but a lot of folks end up with no meat on the table.
the thing is if you can't shoot a certain size buck there will be excesses does shot.
With out does there is no fawns.
You ha e to manage both!!!!!!!

from joejv4 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I save up vacation days for deer season - not to put a rack on the wall, but to put meat in the freezer, afterall, you can't eat antlers. Still, when I get a decent buck, the antlers go on the wall - a nice bonus to all the meat we have in the freezer. I only hunt gun season, which means I have a tag for one buck, and if I'm lucky, 2 doe (from different management areas).

The connotation most often associated with QDM is antler restrictions, typically with the sole purpose of producing more trophy deer. That, to me, is asinine.

Most states have agencies that are responsible for managing wildlife - here in NYS it's the DEC. They have experts that monitor the deer population and adjust hunting regulations to manage the herd to healthy levels. Some management areas you can get two doe tags, while others, you're lucky to get one.

Playing the "how big are the antlers" game has nothing to do with managing the herd and everything to do with pandering to the few that hunt strictly for trophies. I figure if someone is truly all about trophy hunting and couldn't care less about putting meat on the table, then there are high fence hunting retreats where they raise just the deer you're after.

from fliphuntr14 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

when you approach hunting as a wildlife and resource management tool with vast benefits such as eating what you kill. it becomes pretty easy to then approach the QDMA principals and at the very least attempt to implement them. People forget that it is a whole system and for it to work you have to do all the steps. Its not just letting deer walk, its making a more healthy habitat and herd. I'm in the fence for this reason many people just see it as a wonder principle, shoot does and let bucks walk "try to get that magical ratio and it will figure itself out". i don't shoot deer to fill a freezer, that is a benefit and i know in order to keep that benefit I need to do my part.

from tom warner wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

These are questions with any real answers. Everyone has differing desires and these often change through your life. Folks who have killed many, many bucks, frequently turn to horn hunting just to make things more interesting. Ideally, it would be best if there were a good percentage of old mature bucks in any population, but that option has gone away in many or most places. I killed my first buck when I was 13 years old and am now closing in on 80, and I still have no good answer to all this. Anyway, it will not do for hunters to fight about it.

from dodom wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Good because it makes for healthy herds. Bad because it takes money time and often times makes people think they OWN EVERY ANIMAL that wanders across their property. In addition to this it makes for people not willing to pull the trigger, and wait for only TROPHY DEER. While this goes on, kids and folks wanting to be introduced to the sport see it only as an ego game instead of a spiritual or putting food on the table enterprise. As a person whom hunts the eastern shore of Maryland and have access to 600 acres of farmland to hunt. We take both doe and buck. However, many of the farms manage for trophy deer and sell stands at trophy prices. It is a shame to see something become a commodity, especially when there are so many around. I am originally from Maine, a place where it is often hard to grow deer. However, when they do grow to size they are well worth it. I would rather earn my deer in Maine or take a deer in MD for food than manage my deer for profit.

from Louzianajones wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

To each his own. Personally, I hunt for meat. Antlers hold some fascination, but are not the reason I hunt. Funny thing is I have never killed a doe. Now that they are fair game they never come near me. Before they became legal in my home state they would walk right up and paw at me just to see what I was.

from shedmagnet wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

I would wager that the majority of hunters who "hate it" don't really understand it. QDM is NOT trophy antler management. In a nutshell, QDM is matching the herd size to the carrying capacity of the land. Period. You can only control herd size by harvesting females. So if your objective is to help balance the public's deer herd, why are you bent on killing the first 2-pointer that you see? Shoot mature does if the land shows signs of resource depletion and you will benefit the public's deer resource the most.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I'm all for QDM. Here in Wisconsin it is a big deal, that's why we're #1 in Boone and Crockett bucks through out the U.S. and Canada. What I don't understand is the QDM(A) (Association). Every year I get a notice to join the QDMA. Send in money and join it says. What does the "Association" do with the money? I'm the one letting them go to grow, not the association. They have nothng to do with my land. How does "joining" the association manage deer on my land? That's what I'd like ta know.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

One question for Don Mitchell. You have a wall with racks from does?? I mean, I know on rare occasions a doe will grow antlers, but do you really have some? I've had two in my hunting party, both the same year (1987), and both were one horn spikes still in velvet, and stranger yet was that it happened in two different states. Michigan and Wisconsin.

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I used to raect negativley to QDM prinicples, but I'm starting to think that maybe the concepts are just to distant from my situation. Growing up hunting in NH, you kill the first legal deer you see, because that's all you are going to see. The idea of being able to pick the kind of deer you want to shoot is just to foreign to me. There have never been that many deer around here, and what deer there are are among some of the wariest around due to the heavy pressure they recieve. One thing I do beleive is that youth hunters should never have to pass on anything, but maybe I'm just stubborn.

from tyler.josiah.hall wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

As long as there is still plenty of meat in the woods for me to take home I don't care.

from trailertrash wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

I think it helps to grow bigger bucks but at the same time I think it should be a personal preference. I don't like how it's pushed on everybody else. You can't eat the horns. All it does is make a young kid feel like crap when he shoots a fork or a button. Any deer is a trophy whether it's a 30 point buck, a button or little doe. Not to mention the poaching problem. Yes I know there's always been poaching but if someone is going to poach I'd rather have them take the deer home and eat it than to just cut the head off and leave the rest to rot. I really think that's gotten way worse because of QDM and we have enough problems without these losers giving us a giant black eye with carcasses rotting out in the open for all to see.

from joejv4 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

@shedmagnet... QDM is not the notion of managing the herd to meet the carrying capacity of the land. The is DM (Deer Management) or maybe HM (Herd Management). QDM is "Quality Deer Management" and is all about managing the herd for big bucks - not a healthy self-sustaining herd.

The QDM principles, as they are most often discussed, are about antler size restrictions - only shooting large mature bucks with BIG antlers or does, letting the younger bucks walk so they can in turn grow BIG antlers. THAT is not managing the herd to keep the population to carrying capacity nor keeping the doe/buck ration at healthy levels. In NY, the DEC closely monitors deer populations and deer harvest, then changes the regulations for different parts of the state based on true management principles. There are WMU's where you can not get a permit to take a doe, and other WMU's where you can get two if you want (gun season only). There are parts of the state where there actually are some restrictions on antler size (downstate). Those are areas where some harvest is needed, but it needs to be limited to "right-size" the herd, not to produce B&C records.

Personally, I find that a crotch-horn, an 8-point, and a doe are all good table fare.

from Hank111 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

joejv4- You are wrong there. The idea of QDM is

from Hank111 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

Dang, hit submit. I am not a big pusher of QDM, only because alot of landowners are taking their doe harvest well over what they should to try to get a 1 to 1 ratio.
But the first thing Kip will tell you is that it is intended to keep the herd at a healthy level, not quality buck management. That is a by product of a healthy herd though.

from habben97 wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

I shot my first deer, 135 pound doe, during IL's first gun season.
I has an either sex tag, but I saw that doe and I thought well, this could be my last chance.

she is in the freezer, and I dont feel a bit under accomplished for shooting her

from jamesti wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from mspl8sdcntryboy wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from Bryan01 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from Baileymade wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from 4CORN wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from missedit wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

With out does there is no fawns.
You ha e to manage both!!!!!!!

from fliphuntr14 wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from tom warner wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from dodom wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from trailertrash wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from thedraketaker wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

pfettig77, hank111, makersman +1 to yall. my hats off.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from Don Mitchell wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

Just my opinion.

from Don Mitchell wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

sorry about the double post

from Mike Diehl wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

On this matter, I agree with Dcast.

from Louzianajones wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from shedmagnet wrote 1 year 51 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from tyler.josiah.hall wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from joejv4 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from Hank111 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

joejv4- You are wrong there. The idea of QDM is

from Hank111 wrote 1 year 50 weeks ago

from habben97 wrote 1 year 46 weeks ago

I shot my first deer, 135 pound doe, during IL's first gun season.