Hunting Terms to Loathe: Ground Shrinkage, Hit Lists, and Lung Butter

Whitetail 365

August 20, 2012

Hunting Terms to Loathe: Ground Shrinkage, Hit Lists, and Lung Butter

By Dave Hurteau

I hate the term “ground shrinkage.” Never heard it? Just watch 10 minutes of outdoor television. It is said by morons who after climbing out of their treestands and walking up to the buck they just shot, realize in horror that the deer won’t score quite as high as they’d thought, and is thus worth less.

What a rotten thing to say about the buck that just gave it all up for their entertainment and sustenance.

While I’m at it, here are a few more apparently in-vogue deer-hunting terms that make me cringe:

“Hit List”
Great. Now we are assassins—just what our most rabid critics have always claimed.

“Elect to Harvest”
You mean “shoot,” right? Yeah, that’s what I thought it meant.

“Freak Nasty” (to describe a big buck)
This is one of those trendy phrases that are supposed to make you sound hip but actually just make you sound increasingly silly as the term gets more and more overused. It brings to mind some of my young friends who are fond of saying, "Epic Fail." They're not old enough to know they sound just like the people who said "copasetic" in the 80's. How embarassing? Whatever hipness "Freak Nasty" may have had in a vastly different context was lost quickly after it hit the hunting world.

“Good for the Herd”
Fine when it means “good for the herd.” But when it means “good for me and my hunting prospects,” it causes me to throw up in my mouth a little.

“Lung Butter” (bubbly blood on an arrow shaft)
Wallowing in gore seems to be really trendy. Which make me think, what the hell is the matter with people?!

That’ll do for today. Care to add to the list?

from huntnow wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

"booya", although I think it's used more in fishing than hunting, it drives me crazy. I'm all for expanding vocambulary but let's try to use real words.

from psyop613 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Had to go back and make sure this wasn't a biography on Ted Nugent.

from Will Brantley wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Ahh, a good Monday morning Hurteau rant. This is gonna be a good week.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

The term management buck means "I don't have enough money to shoot the biggest deer in the pen so I'll settle for this one."

Dirt nap has always rubbed me the wrong way. Along with "Put them down with Rage". I find that annoying for some reason. Maybe it's the bloody commercials.

I think a lot of the TV guys are looking for a short simple phrase which will identify them. "Booyah" is the worst. "Noc-on" is a close second. A few of the guys are calling themselves "Legends". Really? In who's mind?

Kudos to Jackie Bushman for signing off every show with a nod towards our men and woman in the service.

from shane256 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Hmm... we always used the term "lung butter" to mean phlegm you cough up when you're sick. As in, may, I think I may have to miss the hunt this morning, I've been coughing up lung butter all night.

I pretty much agree with you on all the above, though :)

from Bernie wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Dave, I couldn't agree with you more! I get tired of hunters calling caribou "bous", sharp-tailed grouse "sharpies", mule deer "muleys" and other such nonsense. I find a distinct lack of respect for wildlife in all this "hot dog talk", and it is doing nothing to enhance the future of hunting.

from jay wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Looks like a little of Petzel has rubbed off on ya Dave; I like it and couldn't agree more with you. The disrespect that is becoming rampant within society has shown no boundaries and is alive and well in the killing (on purpose not calling them hunting) shows that are watched today.

from vtbluegrass wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I believe the full term is "Mack Daddy Freak Nasty" as first coined by Waddell. It was funny the first time I heard it over six years ago. Now I just want to smack all of them for trying to make up catch phrases.

I believe its the desire to out redneck the next person. Its one thing to be proud of being from the country and another thing entirely to try to appear like and be proud of being an ignorant hick. It's an odd culture where if you act educated, worldly, and have some grasp of language you are no longer considered "country".

from thequam wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I couldn't agree more. I thoroughly HATE the term "lung butter". But the one that gets me more than anything is when the term "trash" is used to describe small gnarly little points on a buck that in the "hunters" mind somehow appears to devalue the animal. I much prefer to use the term character as each animal is unique beautiful in it's own way.

from huntnow wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Holy crap, I mispelled vocabulary. Wow, that's irony for ya.

from illustrator wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

All these guys are trying to make a name for themselves, and as a result, everyone wants their own catchphrase to set themselves apart. Freak Nasty was funny when Waddell first said it, but now it's just annoying. Same goes with his "bone collector" stuff; I hunt for the enjoyment, the commune with nature and to feed my family. This idea that it is ONLY about the rack devalues the animal and the experience. The same goes for any of the myriad of catchphrases being employed. I will say I don't have an issue with terms like "muley" simply because we tend to abbreviate terms, and that in and of itself isn't disrespectful. If you really feel that way, I suggest calling them by their proper name - Odocoileus hemionus.

from mrhansen9 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Agree. I'm with you on all, but especially "Freak Nasty". And to your bullet point, "epic fail", or just "epic", is by far my biggest pet peeve right now in our culture. The original word of epic has completely lost all meaning and will now forever be just another buzz word. What's worse, the media has begun saying it all the time to seem hip and young, while it just sounds ridiculous!!!

from Double D wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I don't care how how you think she is, but Tiffany shouting BBD! BBD! is just annoying.

from Double D wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

*hot

from nuclear_fisher wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Ahhh Draper beat me to it.... BBD! BBD!!

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

"Put a Rage in the Cage" "Swacked him" smoked him, the list goes on and on. Just enjoy the hunt and quit trying to be a tv personality. What kills me some of my hunting buddies have started trying to quote these guys.

from Blase110 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I agree with ALJoe, nothing makes me more mad when a hunter makes a shot on a deer ,usually from less than 20 yards, and the first thing they say is "BOOM, OH YEAH,I SMOKED HIM!!!" Really? Did he just explode when your arrow hit him?

from shane256 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

"Epic", "Epic fail", and the like came from the geek/nerd world of computer programming and computer game playing from a long time back (more than a decade ago). It's just something else that bled over into mainstream because people want to sound like they're in-the-know.

"BBD" is something that's been around for a good while, too, and means something ENTIRELY different from the way Tiffany is using it. The first time I heard her say it on TV I did a double-take... although, she might use it that way, too ;)

from jjas wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

My least favorite terms, or acts (along with many of the ones listed) include.....

"Give me a minute" and then watching Stan Potts almost have a heart attack every, single time he kills deer. Notice I wrote kill, not harvest....more on that later.

"He's not old enough"......Since when is a 4.5 year old deer not old enough to kill?

"Harvest"....I would much prefer the word kill. Do we have to be pc even in the deer woods?

Fist pumps....giggling, and pointing to the sky all drive me crazy.

The amount of junk that TV hunters drag into the stand with them. Do they really need all that crap? What's next, sponsor patches on their camo?

Fake country accents. I know some of these guys are good old boys from the south, but I think some of these toads overload the twang.....

from Steve in Virginia wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I've grown to hate it when a TV hunter hyperventilates following a shot, exclaiming "that's what I'm talkin' about" (Stan Potts, and others). I get it that hunting is exciting, but let's treat it as something other than a wrestling match.

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Almost anything that dies on TV seems to get killed on the last day. What miraculous luck to kill em on the last day. Give me a break. Kinda reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy’s Incomplete Deer Hunter.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Mrhansen9, What about "Unprecedented" I grow an inch closer to eating lead everytime I hear that said!

DoubleD, BIG BLONDE DOWN!!!!!!!

from Double D wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Shane256 - That's exactly what I think every time she says it too. Maybe that's really what she means?

jjas - Don't give them any ideas about sponsor patches

from vayotehowler wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

lets not forget mr potts booooom!!! yesssssss! not a big fan of mr potts.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Anything having to do with a hammer.

from Don Milosch wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Epic, epic, epic. Epic my aching rear. There is no epic 20 yard bowshot. Nor is there an epic canned hunt where you "harvest" a "management buck".

I would also like to call out some of these shows like mantracker. i always wonder, when the contestant is crawling around, with a great camera shot from above, where is the camera man? Or when they are conserned with every footprint, what about the two camera angles? Where did they come from? it's anything-0but-reality tv.

Definition of EPIC
1: of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an epic
2a : extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope b : heroic

from hengst wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

YOOOHHHHOOO WHAT A TOAD!!! Heck I thought they were deer hunting all of the sudden they are eating frog legs????

Swamp Donkey???

And generally anything else coming out of waddells ____ holster.

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I just despise the whole Bubba Big Buck mentality. Sad thing is all the young hunters who watch these shows and believe thats what they are supposed to do and act like out in the woods. My most hated terms are Shooter, Stud, Booner, Etc. Etc. Etc. Once had a guy tell me our hunters should let all bucks under 8 points walk, I told him let them keep walking our way because we all like our freezers full!

from blevenson wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

It seems like many people have forgotten about what hunting is about these days. It is for us to enjoy the outdoors and have an opportunity to put some meat on the table. You don't have to shoot a nice buck that is described as "Freak Nasty". I have many friends that are more obsessed with the antlers on the head than the meat that comes from the animal. I have tried to convince them that it doesn't matter the size of deer or the number of ducks you shoot. Let's just enjoy that we have this great opportunity to be out in nature and enjoy what God has given us.

from country road wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Everything is "Awesome!" Have come to dislike that word. I appreciate everybody commenting on what they dislike about the hunting shows, because I don't watch them any more---sometimes I'll pause while channel surfing to watch Boddington kill another buff, but can't stay with them.

from Savageshot wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

The list of sponsers for every piece of gear there wearing, yes we all have our preference but, hoyt or mathews, mossy oak or realtree, im pretty sure people on both sides kill alot of deer. one show that i dont think is to terrible at this is midwestwhitetail.com

from 1uglymutha wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

i haven't watched one of the so called "hunting" shows since harold ensley was in business in kansas city.
i don't remember who first said it but it's still true today: " no one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the american public"
i wonder how long it will be before "the hunger games" becomes reality.

from mike0714 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Fricken Thunder Chickens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How Dumb do you have to be it is a Dam Turkey.
Also the people who worry about horn size. Every hunt is special weather you kill or not. Just being in the outdoors is amazing and every animal is a trophy.

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Here is my list of how the hunting world really grinds my gears

1. anything with Bone collectors on it. I have been unable to replace several items of gear because I refuse to walk in the woods like a damn billboard

2. Tom miranda being revered like a god, Guess what Tom? Chuck Adams did the super slam well before you,with older equipment, not impressed.

3. Tiffany lekoski's whole Tv personality, dont get me wrong I imagine she is a good person, and probably quite intelligent, but she says things on tv that just make me turn the channel, sorry Tiffany, your not 14 anymore

4. Where did all the old timers go? what happen to Bill Jordan? David Blanton? larry wienhouse? these guys may have created this monster but atleast they kept a respect for there Quarry compared to today

5. Net scores. I dont care how perfect my deer's horn, since when is character a deduction? if your scoring horn, every inch is a good inch, and everypoint is an accomplishment,

these are just a few

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Dave, take an "atta boy" from petty cash. You have dared to take to task some of our brethern for their behavior that can be embarassing to some of us. We know that the scenes are taped out of sequence, but after shooting at a deer with a rifle or muzzle loader, why do the hunters continue to speak in a whisper? As for the ads, aren't they the product of the some advertising department in from "the concrete jungle"?

from Ragged141 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

To be honest with you all I’m so sick of how commercialize hunting has become and how cool it is to be in the brotherhood and or a wack master. Don’t get me wrong I’m a huge advocate for our sport. But most people have lost touch with what hunting is really about. I was on TV once and learned very fast that it’s all about getting footage and making money! I would be surprise if half the so called “PRO HUNTER’s” can even hunt without the use of an outfitter or guide anymore. These are also the same “PRO HUNTER’s” that have enough money to buy large tracks of land and not allow anyone to hunt and fence most of their property in. Yes, you heard me high fence. Did you know that in some places you can fence lets say 3 sides of you property with a high fence to keep the deer from crossing into other peoples property and its still considered fair chase. Huh, some of your most famous hunters in Iowa and Kansas have done that and I’ve seen it with my own eyes. Anymore big bucks equal’s big bucks and I think that is wrong.

I would like to see some one like Stan Putts come up here and hunt for 7 days in the middle of the Jackson county forest and see how he does. I got my money on some good old boy filling his tag well before the Putts.

Hunting is the best sport in the world! Respect others and don’t criticize other hunter’s kills. Don’t complain about your buck being too small after you have pulled the trigger. Don’t start rumors just because someone has success. Some people do hunt 3 or 4 times more than you do and have more success because of it. Remember, you get out of hunting what you put into it! Don’t complain if you only hunt 3 or 4 days out of the year and don’t get a deer because there are people that hunt 40 days and don’t. Have fun and use your safety strap!! Good luck and I hope to read everyone success stories this fall!!

from GGNYC wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Dave, I like this cantankerous side of you...great post.

from Thomas Murray wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

How about anything that spews forth from Ted Nugent's mouth? He does more to hurt hunting with his graphic and offensive language and actions than the good he accomplishes with his camps and charities.

from Thomas Murray wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Also, the stereotypical southern redneck culture of hunting that permeates everything on outdoor television. My wife refers to anything I watch on it as "white rednecks whispering". I particularly enjoy Shockey-he seems the most normal of the celebrity hunters to me.

from Kevin wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

This is a great post, kudos Dave! I'm glad someone said something about all this finally, and I'm impressed with the responses. Some sayings the 'pros' have are catchy but its gone overboard. Tiffany Lakosky and her fist swing and 'BBD' crap makes me throw up, and Lee is no better. They have shot so many big ones it seems like they have to fake being excited. Ted Nugent is cool but every word out of his mouth lately, when not an advertisement, is some saying he came up with and I turn the channel every time. Waddell was good early on but the Bone Collector thing is ridiculous, every product throws that symbol on and instantly it's a 'special edition'. Seriously? I have to wonder too how these 'pros' would do if you turned them loose in a square mile of woods they've never been in, bet they wouldn't get a big buck any faster than I could. Most if not all hunts on TV are guided and they just show up and hunt. You know they hunt their for free too cause its cheap advertising for the outfitter. Hunters need to refocus on the sport and enjoy it for what it is, and truly thank God for giving us the animals to hunt. Every animal is a gift and if we pull the trigger we've made our decision, to kill an animal and accept all the responsibility that goes along with it. If you aren't proud of that animal then you shouldn't have shot it.

from Don Mitchell wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Dave,This is one of your best, keep it up.

from LostLure wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

The one that has been getting to me lately is the hunter asking the cameraman "are you on him, are you on him." They ask like 50 times. I understand that they want good camera angle and shot, but come on.

Another one Josh alread touched on. Net score vs. Gross score. Nets are for fishing!

from 1RutNBuc wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Sounds like a great show for "Jimmy Big Time!" He needs to find a way to incorporate every single "non-catchy phrase" into one episode!

from JettPack wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

"I smoked him!" is one that gets under my skin. I also hate how some of the tv guys start cheering when a deer is breathing its last. Have some respect! Someone above mentioned how most tv kills occur on the last day...always noticed that, too. Nugent is a tired act, who is, for the most part, counterproductive, and I really don't like the phrases he uses (the beast, etc). The most annoying things for me though, are when the tv guys say there's not "a shooter" in the field when there are 20 deer in front of them, and all the G1, G2, G3 talk is out of control. Hate when a kid says something about that. Could do without all that. Good post, Dave

from Sourdough Dave wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Add to the ever growing list of words and phrases that diminishes our ancient sport any reference to a buck as a "bruiser", "monster", or my all time pet peeve describing a buck by a number used to score antlers, as if the animal attached to those antlers is merely waste product.

from bowhrad wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Outdoor shows have really come a long way since the American Sportsman, narrated by Curt Gowdy, a true gentleman with class. Some of the folks today, along with their antics, pale in comparison.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

"Management buck" gets me mainly because there's no such thing. In a free ranging deer herd, genetics cannot be managed. The idea of a "management buck" did not come from anything scientifically based, rather it was a term coined by outfitters. Outfitters understand that low profile clients will pay top dollar to kill a buck that's bigger than anything they have ever killed before, and high profile clients will pay top dollar to kill the biggest buck on the property. Somehow somebody released the idea of "management bucks" on TV, and it spread through the hunting community like wildfire. You wouldn't believe how many times I have seen 2.5 year old deer killed and called "management bucks with poor genetics"...man that ticks me off.

For more information on why you CAN'T manage genetics, see this article by the QDMA: www.qdma.com/articles/why-we-cant-manage-deer-genetics

Just so everyone knows, I was messing with Lindsey Thomas Jr. in the discussion board below the article because I know this is one of his hot-button issues too. He later found out who I was and we shared a laugh :-).

from IowaGuy wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Great article!

TV hunting shows that are on now are examples of what is wrong with hunting now. I have far more respect for the guy or gal wearing old military surplus camo pants, taking his $150 dollar, 10 year old bow out to a spot of public land and getting a nice doe than any of these over hyped, over priced, tv "hunters". Don't know who I respect less, the tv hunter, Ted Nugget, the "high fence" hunters or the high fence landowners.

Poster bowhrad mentioned American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy, great show and that standard which all others fall far short of. Another show always presented a great image of outdoorsmen was Virgil Ward Championship fishing. He had a few episodes that included some hunting (one was combo fishing trip/goose hunting in Canada).

from Newt wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Looks like you hit a nerve, Dave. I agree with every one of those, but my pet peeve is "harvest". I'm from Arkansas where we harvest corn, rice, and beans, but we shoot deer. If one of my deer camp buddies came back to camp and said he "elected to harvest" a "management buck" because he thought it was "good for the herd", I think we'd either tar and feather him or perform an exorcism.

I really have to say that I laughed out loud at the "throw up in my mouth a little" comment. Maybe that's because I feel the same way.

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Just saying, I use harvest when talkin to non-hunters so I dont sound like some dumb redneck. cuz to a nonhunter, kill= Slay

from MattM37 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

I'm in total agreement with Mr. Hurteau and most of the responders. I tuned into a hunting show just last night, for the first time in months, and right off the bat saw a guy kill an elk and then turn to the camera, pump his fist, and scream, "Yeah, baby, that's Git R Done right there!" or something like that. An added annoyance was the fast rock music playing throughout the hunting footage -- certainly a way to convey to non-hunters what a contemplative, spiritual, respectful-of-nature experience hunting can be (incidentally, I love rock n roll and kind of like Larry the Cable Guy, but can't see why either has to be used in this way).

At the same time, however, let's not forget that not too long ago, Dave Petzal described the pronunciation of someone's name by adding the comment: "Rhymes with 'your sister is a ho!" Field and Stream magazine is certainly not above such juvenile nonsense.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

in the duck hunting world i've hear "whack 'em and stack 'em" a lot. pretty disrespectful if you ask me

i don't make a point of watching any hunting shows but sometimes i'll watch steve rinella's meat eater if it is on. i also enjoy watching the bird hunting shows with dogs like american gundog just cause i like watching the dogs work in the field.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Newt,
I'd go with the exorcism.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

I love this blog. My most annoying terms are when the "hunter" comes along and says "I shot a doe... A BIG doe" Or "A nice FAT doe" Or maybe "He's only a spike, but a nice FAT buck". I don't get it? Who hunts for fat? All that is is to sugar coat their small deer. I saw one in a magazine yesterday. The hunter was dragging a 4 point. The caption read "The author shot this nice fat buck opening day of the archery season". That deer didn't weigh a 100 pounds. Mid September buck, 100 pounds max., where's the fat?

from VAWhiteTailHunt... wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

How about "If it's brown, it's down"
I have to agree with all the comments above. Let's put these TV hunters out here in the mountains of VA or elsewhere and see how good they are. But of course, they would have to climb the mountains first...meaning getting up at 4AM to get in front of the deer. And our mountains are small compared to out west. And of course no food plots or baiting....learn how to read deer sign and finding trails.

from VAWhiteTailHunt... wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

And "management buck" takes the cake....that's just a buck that their high paying clients aren't willing to shuck out $10K for, so they invite the TV hunters in to showcase their ranch/farm/hunting area with free advertising on national tv.

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

what can I say most of you got it all I have is shockey is the normal one love his show

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

The other night after reading this article, I watched a hunting show on the sportsman Channel that was deer hunting in maine... and it was a great show, No big deer shot, no assinine behavior. just true north woods hunting, I was impressed by this show.

from woodpecker wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Years ago most of the people you see on T.V. were refered to as "sports", at least here in the adirondack"s. The guide's would put them on a stand and drive deer to them. Any thing the sport's learned , they learned for the guides, including the jargon. When the sport's went home they told stories about "busting" deer or "punching holes" in them. Now all we hear is "drugstore hunter " jargon.

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

My "pet peeve", and yes, I've quit watching them too, is when a buck runs through the woods 50 yards away and they turn to the camera and say, "That's that 8 point I passed on last year. He had a little curl on his right G2. He's a really nice ten this year. I'd take him but he's busted up some. Maybe next year!"
Running through the brush at 50 yards and you can see all that?
Gimme a break!
I've only killed one deer that I'm absolutely positive I had seen previously.
I'm not a "waiter"! If it's legal, I've got a tag and get a shot, that's what I take. I shoot mostly does. There's way too many and they're easier to clean.

from Scout79 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

To be true, I don't care for the word "Trophy." A trophy is an inanimate, man-made object you win in a taekwondo tournament or in baseball. To me, its strange to get a trophy for taking a life. I am grateful to any deer or turkey who offers itself to feed me, my family and my friends. I always have mixed feelings when I kill a deer. I'm happy to have been successful, to have made a good clean shot, to see my planning come to fruition and know I will have food for the year, but at the same time I look at the animal I killed and feel a little sad. I give thanks to the spirit of the deer and perform a couple little rituals for that purpose.
The people who fist-pump and say they "smoked him" make me so angry I get sick. How disrespectful!! Who taught them to behave like that? Where is the reverence for life and respect for death? Hunting is NOT a game!
People seem to think the deserve to get something every time they hunt and that something should be HUGE. This is not true. One of my best hunts, my friend and I, (who I was teaching to hunt) had two big does come up behind us. One got so close I could see the whiskers on her muzzle and hear her breath....amazing! My friend didn't kill either deer as we got busted, but our hearts were pounding! Another time, I had a Carolina wren climb up the side of my permanent stand and pop up right by my face. I could see every feather, the scales on he legs, and the difference in the dark brown color of her iris and black of her pupil. She hopped along the stand rail undisturbed by my presence and flew away. THAT, friends, is why I hunt!! That and the meat. I imagine antlers would be a little rough coming back out...
Glad I read all those Gary Paulsen books as a girl.

from 007 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

It's high time we ALL show a little more tact and maturity in the face of growing opposition and treat the animals with dignity, NOT as an animal rightist would, mind you, but as a true hunter and not a killer. That one show on the Outdoor Channel, "Hit LIst", in my opinion did not help our image one bit. I'll watch Uncle Ted and Buck Commander occasionly and really miss Duck Commander. Past that most of it is getting pretty juvenile.

from duckdog07 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

I think what pisses me off the most is half tame deer shot with High powered rifles at 25yds then the same scenario plays out every time, fist bumps, yells and a hyperventilated host(like he or she has never seen a deer before)then a long track looking for said deer only for a miracle to happen and they find it the next morning before another hunter or the coyotes do,then a commercial for ammunition not intended for deer but for elk bear or cape buffalo please the truth about hunting couldn't be further from the truth

from Barry Ott wrote 1 year 32 weeks ago

Lung Butter in my circles always meant that green/yellow crap you cough up when you have a bad cold.

from Don Ulin wrote 1 year 31 weeks ago

Wow, as one new to hunting (I am just over 50), one of the hardest things has been to ignore the big macho stupidity of so many of the people I find myself meeting. So it's great to see such a big group of hunters with a more respectful attitude. Thanks.

from Egrill wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Great post! How about teaching these hosts proper English? I realize some of them came from the Sticks but can't the shows producer recognize and correct? "He seen me" "I seen him come through that funnel" that bull, he come from downwind!"

from RandyMI wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I've been pretty disgusted with a lot of these yahoo TV hosts for a while... Nugent was always iffy.... At least he's not sticking his tongue out a foot like he used to.
Rock concert holdover??? YUCK! Watching less & less!

Do you like the rich kid whose Daddy has made a fortune & given the kid the life of a prince, then the kid is on the show referring to himself as if he's some learned sage with decades of hard experience under his belt?

How much "big pickup trucks plastered with sponsor stickers and big mudder tires rumbling down paved roads filming road signs & towing the new Bad Boy Buggy down the road" footage do you want to watch?

I'm really sick of the team competition hunting, too.

Does everybody but me have a rangefinder? You cannot shoot a deer with gun or bow without a rangefinder???

Hunters aren't woodsmen or woodswomen anymore. The sponsors and the game farmer find some ignorant yokel to send into a stand someone else built or set up.

If you're given access to hundreds of acres (or more) of rich farmland and tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment so you can raise a semi-tame herd of deer to old age, is it such an accomplishment to shoot big bucks?

"Meateater" IS an interesting program....

The topper was Alan Probst on a preserve pheasant hunt
carrying a Judge revolver. Finally they get a bird in the air and the dork blazes away at it some thirty or forty yards distant. The pheasant flies away and dork says something like 'I'm sure I got a pellet in his butt!'
What a moron! And the stupid sponsors let them air it!!!

I'm not going to call an assault rifle a 'modern sporting rifle'. If you have one you're not welcome to bring it into my camp. Do not bring it to my place to shoot.

This could go on & on.... :-]

from d.pauljr@comcast.net wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

lets get together and make up and start doing something about phrases that are really disgusting like: Gun Control, Diane Feinstein, assault weapon ban, Gun Registration, gun show loophole, president Obama, HSUS, speaker reid, vice president biden, nancy Pelosi, ...... the list is long and dangerous

from hutter wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

I hate Speed Goat,Bone collectors(sound a bit gay)and Yeeeessssss! Just talk nornal boys your southern accent is enough.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Besides all of the above being great. One that really gets me is when I hear. "I shot this nice fat fork horn (or comparative) opening day (or about) of bow season". We all know what a 1 1/2 year old buck looks like, and they're not fat. And fat, opening day of bow season? There's no fat anywhere in the woods at that time. Besides... Who hunts for fat? Then there's "I shot a doe... A BIG doe". If no one sees it they're all BIG. Ever hear anyone say "I shot a doe... A small doe." No, and you never will.

from Hunter365 wrote 1 year 13 weeks ago

I agree with the frustrations of the TV hunts. They are not reality. It gets on my nerves when they whine and complain about sitting in a stand for 12 hours in a day to "get it done" or gripe about hunting for 5 days. Try hunting for months without getting it done and then do the same thing the next year. And the whole "you got him? you got him" thing is rediculous. The camera has been on the deer for 5 minutes. Shoot the damn deer before I turn the channel. They pass up bigger bucks than I have ever seen. This is creating unrealistic expectations for the average hunter. Most cannot afford to pay the price for those hunts. It has got out of hand. I have never seen a "Mac Daddy" Mr Waddell.

from psyop613 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Had to go back and make sure this wasn't a biography on Ted Nugent.

from jay wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from vtbluegrass wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from huntnow wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Here is my list of how the hunting world really grinds my gears

these are just a few

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Double D wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from jjas wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Fist pumps....giggling, and pointing to the sky all drive me crazy.

from Will Brantley wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Ahh, a good Monday morning Hurteau rant. This is gonna be a good week.

from thequam wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from illustrator wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Bernie wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from shane256 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Steve in Virginia wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from hengst wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Swamp Donkey???

And generally anything else coming out of waddells ____ holster.

from shane256 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

I pretty much agree with you on all the above, though :)

from huntnow wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Holy crap, I mispelled vocabulary. Wow, that's irony for ya.

from mrhansen9 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Blase110 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Ragged141 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Thomas Murray wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Thomas Murray wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Kevin wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from LostLure wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from JettPack wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Sourdough Dave wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from VAWhiteTailHunt... wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from omarfishesalot wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from Scout79 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Glad I read all those Gary Paulsen books as a girl.

from d.pauljr@comcast.net wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

from Double D wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

*hot

from nuclear_fisher wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Ahhh Draper beat me to it.... BBD! BBD!!

from Dcast wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

DoubleD, BIG BLONDE DOWN!!!!!!!

from Double D wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

jjas - Don't give them any ideas about sponsor patches

from vayotehowler wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

lets not forget mr potts booooom!!! yesssssss! not a big fan of mr potts.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Anything having to do with a hammer.

from blevenson wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from mike0714 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from 1RutNBuc wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from bowhrad wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Newt wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Running through the brush at 50 yards and you can see all that?
Gimme a break!
I've only killed one deer that I'm absolutely positive I had seen previously.

from RandyMI wrote 1 year 14 weeks ago

Rock concert holdover??? YUCK! Watching less & less!

I'm really sick of the team competition hunting, too.

"Meateater" IS an interesting program....

The topper was Alan Probst on a preserve pheasant hunt
What a moron! And the stupid sponsors let them air it!!!

This could go on & on.... :-]

from Don Milosch wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Definition of EPIC
1: of, relating to, or having the characteristics of an epic

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from country road wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from Savageshot wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from 1uglymutha wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

i wonder how long it will be before "the hunger games" becomes reality.

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from GGNYC wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Dave, I like this cantankerous side of you...great post.

from Don Mitchell wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

Dave,This is one of your best, keep it up.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 34 weeks ago

from IowaGuy wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Great article!

from MattM37 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

Newt,
I'd go with the exorcism.

from VAWhiteTailHunt... wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

How about "If it's brown, it's down"

from woodpecker wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago