Show Me Your Deer-Gun Wish List (Or Why I Love GunBroker.com, Part 2)

Whitetail 365

August 03, 2012

Show Me Your Deer-Gun Wish List (Or Why I Love GunBroker.com, Part 2)

By Dave Hurteau

When I posted earlier this week that GunBroker.com (GB) is a great place to find project guns, like my Savage Model 24 .22LR/.410, some of you pointed out that it’s also useful for gauging the current value of guns and for adding guns to your wish list. Right on. That’s just where I was going with this. So one at a time:

Gauging Value
There are two classic North-Woods deer rifles I’ve always wanted: a Remington Model 14/141 (the company’s original centerfire pump and precursor to the 760/7600 ubiquitous to today’s Adirondack deer camps; shown at top above), and the Remington Model 8 (the company’s original autoloader, designed by Browning, and just one crazy-cool gun; shown at bottom). Now I own both. I won an auction on GB for the 141 and got it at a good price. I bought the Model 8 at my local gun shop but I still credit GB. By keeping track of what Model 8s were going for on the site, I knew enough to scoop up the one I found locally, in great shape, for just $390. I didn’t even bother trying to talk them down.

Adding to the Wish List
Funny you should bring this up, Buckshottoo, because I just started such a list based on perusing GB. Here are my top three lusted-after deer guns:
1 - Mannlicher-Schoenauer, preferably in 6.5 or 7x57
This will stay on the wish list for a long, long time—unless you all decide to take up a collection for me.
2 - Marlin Model 1893 in .30/30
Every bit as cool as an old Winchester 94—which I already have—and a better gun in some ways; of course, I can’t really afford this one, either.
3 - Winchester Model 70 Pre-64
What can I tell you? I don’t have one and I should.

So now for the big question: What are your top three GB-Wish List deer guns? And don’t let the fact that we’ll all soon be bidding on the same guns deter you. This will be fun, and there are plenty to go around on GB

from The White Slug wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Ruger 96 .44 lever action, Sako Finnwolf .243, Winchester Model 100 .308.

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

1- remington 700 8MM rem mag, 2-winchester model 70 any caliber (pre 64) 3- remington sxs 30-06

from Safado wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

1-Weatherby Mark V .240 Weatherby Magnum, 2-Tikka T3 Light Hunter in .270 Win and 3-Mannlicher Shoenauer in 30-06 with double set triggers.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Just be sure to benchmark your prices against actual bids and selling prices by putting them on your Watch List.

Wish List:

Maybe a Remington Model 14/141 or older 76 in .35 Remington.

from B12809 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Hmm the choices to decide on...
1. Marlin Guide Gun 45-70
2. DPMS Panther .308
3. Browning a-bolt 7mm Mag

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

If I had to go buy 3 guns,
In order,

1)450 Bushmaster upper for my AR-15
2)Sako A-7 in 270wsm
3)Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .308 Win.

from Papa Whiskey wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Griffin and Howe 30-06 on a Springfield action
Wild West Copilot in 45/70
Westley Richards Mauser in .318
Might as well dream big.

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

#1 Smith and Wesson model 29 44 magnum 8 3/8 barrel, #2 Remington XP100 in .221 rem. fireball, Remington 750 in 350 Remington magnum.

from Sanjuancb wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

(1) Merkel RX Helix, 7x64

(2) Winchester 1886 Lightweight, .45-70

(3) Chapuis Armes UGEX, 9.3x74R

...there are just too many good-handling thumpers out there!

from Scott Jones wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Ruger Super Single Six in 32 H&R Mag

Springfield M1A

Kimber Pro Carry Stainless 4" 1911 in 45ACP

from CCMJS wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Remington 700 BDL custom deluxe 30-06; Winchester 94 30-30; Ruger No.1 35 Whelen.

from coachsjike wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

springfield m14 or the civilian m1a with wood stock would be cool.

from damo450 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Sako finnwolf .243 (popular choice!), Ruger 77/44, and........A(nother) remington 742 woodsmaster. I lent my grandpa's 742 to a good friend and it was stolen. I need another badly.

from ingebrigtsen wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

weatherby mark v svm in 22-250.. its on ma wishlist for the fall...

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

An old double barrel shot gun in 20 gauge. Winchester or maybe even one of the brands no longer made. When I was a kid, old double barrels were gold. You couldn't get one. Now as the some of the older hunters and such die off, The young no one wants the old classics, everybody wants an autoloader or an AR. Old doubles are now popping up in used gun shops.

Maybe a used browning 22 target pistol, If I find one that feels good. I love to target shoot a pistol. Haven't found one that feels just right yet.

Hawkins Great Plains Rifle in percussion cap. I have a custom made Pennsylvania long rifle in flint lock and that is the most fun of all to shoot of all my firearms. From a bench almost has minute of angle in patch and round ball no less. I Wish I could hold it steady until it ignited, off of the bench. i love that piece.

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

My primary gun wish list has only two guns on it, both of them rifles.

1. Ruger Gunsite Scout.
I was finally able to take a look at one of these rifles last year, and now that I have I am in love. I think that this would actually make a great New England Deer rifle. It's short, so it would handle well in thick areas where I tend to hunt. It's not heavy, which would make it great for those long distance walks in the north woods. It also shoulders quickly with the sights practically lining themselves up, which would make it a decent snap shooter. 308 is also in my opinion the best pointed cartridge for around here.

2. Sauer 303.
I already own a Sauer 200, so I am already spoiled by the simply outstanding quality of these guns. One day I hope to own a semi-auto counterpart to my current bolt action deer rifle. While my 200 is in 308, if I were ever lucky enough to own one of these guns I would get it in 30-06.

from rabbit beagle wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I would like a Ruger#1 in .257 Roberts, stanless steel.

I would also like the Browning BLR in .250 Savage, with a 22 inch barrel.

from Douglas wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I have been wishing for one of those model 8's for some time time now. I saw a couple in a local guns, gas,groceries, and guitars store for around $400 but they are in 30-30 cal.
I want one in 35 rem.
My project gun for winter is going to be a Jim Chambers flintlock. Gun Broker has some real nice flintlocks for good prices though. Mayhap that I will bid on a couple.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Hey Douglas,
I know that store well; I've bought both guns and a guitar there. I'm with you on the .35 Rem. Both the 141 and the 8 I bought are in .35.

from dasmith wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Charter Arms Bulldog .44spl, one of the older 3" models.
Remington 870 18"with rifle sights.
Ruger .44 magnum Deer Stalker rifle (old model).

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Browning Safari Medallion (salt free) on a Mauser magnum, Colt National Match (pre-war), and a mint Parker double (any gauge).

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

An equivalent Colt Sauer would be an acceptable substitute for the aforementioned Browning.

from idduckhntr wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Evans, Holland & Holland or Westly Richards double in 470 Nitro. Go big or go home.

from dtownley wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

IMI Timberwolf .44rem, BAR .338WM, WBY WEATHERMKV.270WIN LH
I think this lefty could live with these.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Hurteau-You don't know how happy post makes me, my dad had the Remington pictured above, inherited it from my grandfather, and pawned it during his divorce along with a Savage 24 and a few shotguns and until now I had no idea what make and model the gun was until your post. Thank you! So my answer is a Remington 14/141 and Savage 24 in .222 over 20 gauge.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Whoops, didn't read the bottom, top three wished after deer rifles would be Remington 14/141, 300 Savage, and something like a Jarrett in .25/06

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

My pleasure, va.

from JB101 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Let's see... If I had to choose three that are on my radar right now.
Pre-Rem Marlin 1895G - .45-70
Kimber 84L Select Grade - .280AI
Ruger No1 Tropical - .375H&H

Not that I NEED any of these, but they would be nice to have. You can never have too many good guns.

from JB101 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Josh Giannino - I've been eyeing a mint 8mm BDL at the local hardware store for a while. I may just pick it up next time I'm there as a backup moose rig. Very cool...

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

JB101- your a lucky man, apparently in new york state no one found the ccaliber to be what its potential truely is, nice find!

from jcleo wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I put a Winchester Model 1876 on GiftSimple and have been getting contributions from friends for my birthday, xmas. Have about half of what I need to buy it.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

1) Winchester Model 70 pre 64 in a 270 winchester

2) Savage model 99 in 308 win

3) Remington 700 sendero 7mm Rem Mag

from hhack wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

1-my great grandfather's custom built mauser 270 ackley magnum 2- model 70 pre 64 in 270 win 3- model 95 winchester in 30-06. And just about any other rifle you can think of.

from Michael Yonts wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

cimarron 1885 high (or low, I wouldn't be picky) wall 45-70

from Drew McClure wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

My hammers drive nails my wish list is for 4 1/2 year olds better, and I MAY pick up the 2011 Best brush gun on pure peer pressure. Cheers.

from russd wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

the model 760/7600 are far the best choices where i hunt n.h. and northern maine. calibers are from 308, 30.06,270, and my 1 favorite 35 rem for heavy cover. my sons and i own all 4 and have been pretty successful when it comes to taking deer. although my model 700 in 30.06 has proven it's worth . this one is for dad only. have a great season everyone.

from wingshooter54 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Marlin 1895 45-70
Ruger no. 1A 6.5x55
Savage 99 .300 Savage

from whiteeagle wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

1) Agreed on the Mannlicher in 6.5x54
2) Ruger 77 in .250-3000 with the full mannlicher stock
3) Remington 788 in .30-30

(Yes, I do lean toward bolt actions, even in the northeast woods)

from Van Warren Kennedy wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Savage 12lrp in 6.5 Creedmoor, Ruger M77 MKII Target 6.5 Creedmoor, T/C Icon Precision Hunter in, you guessed it 6.5 Creedmoor: I am very hopeful that this round will continue to develop in the area of available factory loaded ammo. I take some very long shots, and just must have one of these.

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Winchester Model 70 pre 64 in either .270 or 30.06
Vintage Remington Model 700 in the same calibers
Winchester 32 Special Pre 64...my Grandpa used it for deer hunting and took more deer with it than I could ever even dream of (open sights too). I remember the first time I saw it I fell in love, dark wood, blued steel, but alas my cousins husband ended up with it, not that I am bitter or anything.....

from farmboy20 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Remington 870 and #2 mossberg bolt action .410

from AlaskanExile wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

1)Tikka T-3 Lite stainless Left-Hand in 30-06, a light, 90% solution to the ultralight nobody else makes in this caliber.
2)Remington 600 in 308 for my daughter.
3) A Ruger M-77 stainless 300 Win Mag or 7 Rem Mag Left-Handed laminated stock I can pilliage for the action that I can re-barrel into 338 Win Mag.
AKX

from Deadeye Dick wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

Being an old traditionalist,,,my top three are Winchester Pre 64, Ruger M77 Hawkeye and the Sako M 85.
All CRF and some adjustable triggers. These rifles would be great in any of the traditional calibers, ie 270 Win, 308 Win and 30-06.

from Pmacc60 wrote 1 year 8 weeks ago

Sako 85 270 win short mag,Remington 700 6.5 rem mag, winchester 88 284 win

from The White Slug wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Ruger 96 .44 lever action, Sako Finnwolf .243, Winchester Model 100 .308.

from Papa Whiskey wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Griffin and Howe 30-06 on a Springfield action
Wild West Copilot in 45/70
Westley Richards Mauser in .318
Might as well dream big.

from Scott Jones wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Ruger Super Single Six in 32 H&R Mag

Springfield M1A

Kimber Pro Carry Stainless 4" 1911 in 45ACP

from CCMJS wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from ingebrigtsen wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

weatherby mark v svm in 22-250.. its on ma wishlist for the fall...

from JB101 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from Safado wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Wish List:

Maybe a Remington Model 14/141 or older 76 in .35 Remington.

from B12809 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Hmm the choices to decide on...
1. Marlin Guide Gun 45-70
2. DPMS Panther .308
3. Browning a-bolt 7mm Mag

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

If I had to go buy 3 guns,
In order,

1)450 Bushmaster upper for my AR-15
2)Sako A-7 in 270wsm
3)Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .308 Win.

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from Sanjuancb wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

(1) Merkel RX Helix, 7x64

(2) Winchester 1886 Lightweight, .45-70

(3) Chapuis Armes UGEX, 9.3x74R

...there are just too many good-handling thumpers out there!

from coachsjike wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

springfield m14 or the civilian m1a with wood stock would be cool.

from damo450 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

My primary gun wish list has only two guns on it, both of them rifles.

1. Ruger Gunsite Scout.

2. Sauer 303.

from rabbit beagle wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I would like a Ruger#1 in .257 Roberts, stanless steel.

I would also like the Browning BLR in .250 Savage, with a 22 inch barrel.

from Douglas wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

I want one in 35 rem.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Hey Douglas,

from dasmith wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Charter Arms Bulldog .44spl, one of the older 3" models.
Remington 870 18"with rifle sights.
Ruger .44 magnum Deer Stalker rifle (old model).

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from ishawooa wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from idduckhntr wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from dtownley wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

IMI Timberwolf .44rem, BAR .338WM, WBY WEATHERMKV.270WIN LH
I think this lefty could live with these.

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from vasportsman wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

My pleasure, va.

from JB101 wrote 1 year 36 weeks ago

Let's see... If I had to choose three that are on my radar right now.
Pre-Rem Marlin 1895G - .45-70

Ruger no. 1A 6.5x55
Savage 99 .300 Savage

from whiteeagle wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

1) Agreed on the Mannlicher in 6.5x54
2) Ruger 77 in .250-3000 with the full mannlicher stock
3) Remington 788 in .30-30

(Yes, I do lean toward bolt actions, even in the northeast woods)

from Van Warren Kennedy wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

from tootall75 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Winchester Model 70 pre 64 in either .270 or 30.06
Vintage Remington Model 700 in the same calibers

from farmboy20 wrote 1 year 35 weeks ago

Remington 870 and #2 mossberg bolt action .410

from AlaskanExile wrote 1 year 33 weeks ago

2)Remington 600 in 308 for my daughter.
AKX