Poll: Are You a Bad-Ass Deer Hunter? (And Should Bestul Grow a Beard?)

Whitetail 365

September 26, 2012

Poll: Are You a Bad-Ass Deer Hunter? (And Should Bestul Grow a Beard?)

By Dave Hurteau

Anyone who watches outdoor TV knows this already, but for those who don’t, I’ll spell it out for you: Bad-Ass Deer Hunters (BADH) wear goatees.

And it’s not just TV guys. Look at Brantley. Seriously, look at him. This guy kills everything that steps within 40 yards. (Warning: Don’t step within 40 yards of Brantley.) And he fulfills the other key BADH requirement of living in either the Midwest or the South—or in his case, being from Kentucky, both. He can wear the full goatee with pride.

I can’t, of course. Being from New York—and not killing big enough deer—I can only get away with half a goatee. And that’s a stretch. But lets talk about Bestul. Bestul should be F&S’s original, resident BADH in the modern sense. This Minnesotan has killed more deer than I’ll ever see, and he has a pair of gross bow Booners on his wall. And yet, he sports the lone stache—something only Tom Selleck has really, truly pulled off since the late 80s.

I took the liberty to give Bestul some chin whiskers. See what you think.

And now for our poll questions.

from huntnow wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I am also from KY and sport a beard from the beginning of deer season until after spring turkey season. I am a BADH with a rifle. However, I am a sorry, sorry bowhunter. I can sneek within 100 yards of almost anything and within 30 yards of almost nothing. If I worked for F&S and was a rut reporter, and had Bestul's resume', I would wear a beard, not goatee. Go big or go home.

from chidjm wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

The only reason I say He shouldn't go with the goatee is that there are not enough people out there who currently rock the 'stache. Keep it up good man, keep it up.

from Timthedog wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Goatees are for artists and actors. Grow a man’s beard or shave it clean

from 2804Penn wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

The only thing cooler than sporting the caterpillar lip, is doing so with non-matching camo :0 and a Genny cream ale in your hand.

from philbourjaily wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Maybe I shouldn't bring this up but you can be from the Midwest (Iowa), wear a goatee (mine dates to 1989) and not be a BADH or even deer hunt very much at all.

Bestul should not grow a goatee. With the mustache he looks like Deacon Ed from my church. I always figured one reason he kills so many deer is because he looks harmless.

from Jerry A. wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I'm from Missouri, and would have a full beard if I had a job that allowed it. I personally don't think it's the act of a sane man to scrape a sharp piece if metal across his face. Unfortunately, as a police officer, they don't allow beards or goatees. I never shave on my days off, unless it's required, and I don't even take a razor to deer camp with me. That being said, I'm just a normal, run of the mill, deer hunter.

from fisherking1999 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I'm with "huntnow" I start growing by beard the first day of bow season here in NC and keep it until the crappie bite starts in early March. Then I go back to the goatee for fishing in the spring and through the summer. Bestful should grow a beard, if he wants to.

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Being in uniform all of my life and having to shave every morning I cannot stand to have a beard or a mustache even after being retired for 6 years. I don't think it makes any difference in what kind of deer hunter I am whether I have whiskers or not. Besides that my wife likes me clean shaven and that is what counts.

from Stanley Garland wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I am afraid that somebody missed the memo. Goatees are a must if you want to shoot the big bucks. hogpredators.com

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I'm also a half year bearder, from basically labor day till memmorial day then it's a goatee for the summer months.

from Douglas wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I have had a full beard since 1975. It is now nearly snow white and I have to wear a face mask while hunting. I don't want a rutting buck to spot that white beard glowing in the woods and decide that its something that it ain't. Especially since I use doe in heat attractants.

Years ago I tried a goatee. My father told me it looked like a baboons a**. That ended that for good.

I think Mr. Bestul should stay with the mustache. It sets him apart. In a good way.

from IND_NRA wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

A good compromise would be to turn that 'stache into handle bars. Then you would look like every guide west of the Mississippi(all of which have guided me to throphys). I am from Southern Indiana and one electric line from being Amish---so I wear mine old Dutch from Oct 1 'til the end of spring Turkey.

from Tom-Tom wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Once again, five tries before able to get a post. Anybody else having this problem?

As to the beard issue, to each his own. IMHO, the best beard ever belongs to Santa Claus.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I agree with Tim. Those close-cropped goatees look about as rugged as a crepe and satin ballet tutu. The current pirate look doesn't appeal to me at all (goatees, van dykes, shaved head, earrings, tatoos, and shaved chests ... what the hell is up with that!!??). I think anyone who succumbs to this silly fashion trend will look at photos of themselves in ten years and blush. Those who have tatoos will look at themselves and curse. "What the ($#%k was that shapeless blob of colored flesh supposed to be?" You can grow your hair back or shave it off and throw the other goofy ornaments away, but those damned tatoos are stuck forever. And they DO NOT age graciously. I just do not understand all these kids making a permanent eyesore out of their bodies. Arggh. Where did I put my Geritol?

from Double D wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

When I am in camp with Bestul next week, I will steal his razor and get this thing started. Though, a +1 to Bourjaily for his comment. Scott does act and look a bit like a harmless school teacher, which could factor into being a stealthy predator.

from wisenbach wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

i thought these posts were about deer and deer hunting... tips, tricks, news, equipment, everything whitetail, not about slamming TV hosts, and talking about goatees

I started reading these posts about 2 years ago and loved it but it seems in the last 6 months that they have really digressed into nothing related to being a whitetail nut.

just my personal opinion, lets get back to the show at hand and talk about WHITETAILS 365

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from Josh Giannino wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Above a beard grows a man, You can use a goatee in the south and midwest but its to damn cold here in the Northeast for that, Beard it up!

from Dcast wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

"Rugged as a crepe or a satin ballet tutu", I have heard it all now! OH, that is only second to WAM's Kia Rio comment several months back but it also almost cost me a keyboard!!!

Apparently I will never be a BADH. I tried growing a beard/goatee, but it looked more like a bad joke college friends do to one another by shaving patches of hair off. I will be as smooth as my wifes inner thigh for the rest of my life!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Wisenbach, you're about the last guy in the world I would want to hunt with. You wouldn't know a good time if one hit you on the head. Methinks you're just another typical antler/technocrap junkie. Me? I prefer to be non-typical. They're usually the older and smarter bucks anyway. Except in the Midwest and South where they are the bucks who get fed the most suppliments from mail order automatic feeders. :-)

Anyway, lighten up. There's no rule about not being able to have a good time while you're learning something. Perhaps you may learn what having a good time is all about.

from Steve in Virginia wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I wouldn't recommend a goatee because, well...it sounds French, and I don't think red blooded American hunters should be bringing out their inner Frenchmen during hunting season:). I make an effort to grow a full beard during the season -- it helps to hide my pasty white skin, gives me a false sense of warmth on a cold morning, and signals to my co-workers that Fall has officially begun.

from habben97 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I live in the Midwest, but I don't sport a goatee.

heck, I cant. I am only 15!

I don't think I would meet any other requirements to be a badh, and I don't know if I would want to be one

from Shellcracker wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I choose to go full beard or none. The only time I cut mine off is when I'm working on an oil refinery or chemical plant and have to wear a gas mask. Also, as far as beards go, if you grow one like Waddell's, it has to somehow say "Bone Collector Edition" on it and cost you $20-$45 dollars more than a standard beard for no reason..............

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I'm probably going to get slammed for saying this, so keep in mind that it's mostly a joke.
In order to be a BADH you apparently need to kill a lot of deer while being from the Midwest or the south. Gee, you mean where there deer are EVERYWHERE? You mean where the success rate is usually above 50%? That does not seem particularly badass to me, more like typical. You want to be a real BADH? Hunt in the upper reaches of the Northeast. I’m talking the Adirondacks or New England. Low success rates, cold as can be, and hills…hills everywhere. I’m talking every 20 yards there is another freaking hill! Kind of like a miniature version of the Rockies, but with no elk. Hunting here can really test your will, mainly because most of the time you see nothing. I don’t mean no “shooter” bucks, I mean NTOHING. Zero deer. It separates the men from the boys, and I’ve seen a lot of young men and a lot of old boys. Guys like the Benoits or my dad and uncle; those are the true BADHs in my book. My dad stepped out into this deer hunting hell we call NH and bagged an 8 pointer (which is a trophy in these parts) on the first day of his first hunt. The TV guys can bite me; my dad is my true deer hunting hero. And yes, he does in fact have a goatee. He’s had it in most of his years of deer hunting, and he’s got the most deer out of any of us (10 I think.)

from IND_NRA wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I will give a couple of +1's to nehunter92 and shellcracker. I don't and won't buy the junk gear that has bone collector all over it, and if you harvest a big healthy doe everyyear you are more of a BADH to me then any record holders. Just my thought. I still don't judge a deer by thier inches of antlers.

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I've never had a deer mounted and I've never killed a buck worth mounting down here in SC, but I've slayed a many a doe sporting my Amish Beard. I don't wear matching camo, and I do all the processing myself, not sure if that makes me a BADH or not but Goatees are weak excuses for beards in my opinion. Bestul, stop shaving today and don't trim that thing 'til the spring turkey season.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

nehunter92,
I'm sure you realize that my post is mostly a joke, too. Being an Adirondack guy myself, I happen to agree with you. But I don't begrudge my Midwestern or Southern friends their big deer. More power to them. As long as they understand that they could never be as rugged a man as I am with my big-woods forkhorns and does.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

2lb,
Does sporting your Amish beard?
Hmm. I suppose I'd want to shoot a doe if it stole my beard, too.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Good call Dave on the 2lb bearded DOE!!! Maybe it was a turkey that stole it and gave it to the doe!

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I put the razor away on Labor Day and break it out 2 weeks after Easter!

I don't like your "poll"! I'm a "bad" deer hunter, not "bad-a$$"!
I have two mounted heads. Neither exceeds probably 140 gross, but they're the biggest I've killed.

Beards are a personal choice, matching camo or not. (I wouldn't know how to act with matching camo!)

Kinda like a cowboy hat, some folks can, some can't!

from wisenbach wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Haha Ontario honker, when I read the description at the top it says all deer all the time... Guess its time to transition to the QDMA newsletter, it's actually pertains to hunting and managing deer and not wasting time writing about nonsense

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

First Bubba,
Around here, 140 is a world beater.
Wisenbach,
Don't worry. We'll give you some red meat soon.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

my FULL beard is coming in now, only way to go during hunting season!!!

from Hank111 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Sorry, but I have to agree with wisenbach. Hunting seasons are starting up all over. There have been several huge bucks killed all ready in Wisconsin and Sask. Canada. You would think Dave would have alot more to cover than all the off season type crap that has been the norm lately. Caption Contests,polls,and blogs that every comment turns into slamming the tv hunters or bitching about well managed midwest farms with food plots. It sounds like a bunch of women all the time. And Dave you stir the pot and get them started.

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Dave,
You burnt me on my grammar. I should have said ",while sporting my Amish beard." I'll blame the grammar mistake on Facebook and text messaging.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

A beard had nothing to do with filling my trophy room. Besides, my wife doesn't want me to grow any facial hair, and her reason is the best yet ;-)

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Frankly, I am very glad this site isn't all about filling the trophy room. Hunting is about more than that (to be more precise, it's about less than that). Or managing (a.k.a. cultivating) trophy room resources. The guys running this blog seem to be tuned in to the proper wavelength. That's why I'm still here.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

To bad Ontario Honker. Filling my trophy room is one of the ways I spend my fortune. If you had what I have, you just might too.

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Bounty, I have more than two million CASH assets and NO debt. None! Own my own home here and another one in Montana. So, though I drive a beat up old Jimmy, I'm not some poor slob. I spend my money on good times with my dogs and what's left of my family, not silly stuffed animals to fatten my ego. Check my profile - all 70 photos (and how many of your trophy room wallhangers are in your profile? zip!). You'll see some trophies in there that will, I believe, blow the doors off any of the moth catchers that MIGHT be hanging in your trophy room. And I didn't pay anyone else to find them for me. Nor did I shoot them out of a stand on leased property over expensive bait. Took those trophies on public land in the wild and when I didn't have much money. Didn't need to have much. I worked for my trophies rather than buying them.

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Dave

The taxidermist I use raises deer.
When I went to pick up the first head, it was hanging beside a "shed" mount that scored 256! I was on the way home with my "cull" when it dawned on me, "I shot THIS deer, that one is still in a pen!"

from Online Editors wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

2lb,
Just giving you a hard time. Truth is, I don't want anyone looking too closely at my grammar.

from Shellcracker wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Grammar, schmamar. Trophies, fortunes, beards, tutus, North, South, East, West. Lets all just go hunt some deer.........Good luck everyone.

from Egrill wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

Great post! Very, very few men can really wear a good goatee. Sorry Drurry Bothers, your fuzz has got to go!

from fishead wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

this is the face of hunting?

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from IND_NRA wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Shellcracker wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Timthedog wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Goatees are for artists and actors. Grow a man’s beard or shave it clean

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from huntnow wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from philbourjaily wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Stanley Garland wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from IND_NRA wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from habben97 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I live in the Midwest, but I don't sport a goatee.

heck, I cant. I am only 15!

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Steve in Virginia wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

nehunter92,

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

2lb,
Does sporting your Amish beard?
Hmm. I suppose I'd want to shoot a doe if it stole my beard, too.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

I put the razor away on Labor Day and break it out 2 weeks after Easter!

I don't like your "poll"! I'm a "bad" deer hunter, not "bad-a$$"!

Kinda like a cowboy hat, some folks can, some can't!

from wisenbach wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

First Bubba,
Around here, 140 is a world beater.
Wisenbach,
Don't worry. We'll give you some red meat soon.

from scratchgolf72 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

my FULL beard is coming in now, only way to go during hunting season!!!

from Hank111 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Dave,

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

Dave

The taxidermist I use raises deer.

from Online Editors wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago

2lb,

from Egrill wrote 1 year 27 weeks ago

from fishead wrote 1 year 26 weeks ago

this is the face of hunting?

from wisenbach wrote 1 year 28 weeks ago