Deer Hunting Tip: Bestul's Ingenious Rattling-Antler Rig

Whitetail 365

December 28, 2012

Deer Hunting Tip: Bestul's Ingenious Rattling-Antler Rig

By Dave Hurteau

As I say in this video, Bestul, being the model Midwesterner, would never be so immodest as to tell you how damn slick his rattling-antler rig is. So I’m left to do it. In a nutshell, he tethers the two antlers together using eyehooks and a bungee cord, like this:

1. Start with a full rack that has at least three fighting tines on each side or similar antlers from the same side of different deer. Brace one antler in a vise. Then, using a 1/4-inch bit, drill a hole about 11/2-inch deep into the bottom of the main beam.

2. With the antler still in the vise, screw a 1/4x2-inch eye screw into the hole. Take a sturdy pair of pliers and bend the eye of the screw open slightly to create a gap. Then repeat steps 1 and 2 with the other antler.

3. Lay both antlers down on a bench or table. Slide the elastic section of a 24-inch bungee cord into the gap you made in the eye of each screw. Use the pliers to bend the eye closed again. Boom, done.

What’s so ingenious about this rig is that you can carry the antlers by wrapping the bungee cord around your waist like a belt, or wrap the bungee tightly around your pack or climber to both carry the horns and secure extra clothes to on the walk in. (For safety’s sake, do either of the above only during bow season.) The eyehooks allow you to position the antlers anywhere along the cord, which makes it easier to carry them comfortably and avoid making noise. And of course, the rig gives you a simple way to hang the antlers once you’re in the stand.

from jesusfan wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Or you could just buy a rattle bag...

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I find rattling bags a poor substitute for the real thing. But hey, to each their own.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

This is also a great rig for the spot and stalk hunter. You can rattle without taking them off your waist.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Also,

Jesus, Have never had consistent luck with rattle bags.

from schwings wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Or you can fall and puncture yourself with an antler.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Anyone have luck with the Knight & Hale Pack Rack? I've been thinking of replacing my rattle with something else.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Bio, have always had the best luck with sheds. You have the option to tickle the tines for deer which are close or bang the beams together for deer which are far away or for windy days.

How was your season?

Schwings, if that worries you, grind off the tips to a dull knob. Always cut off the brow tines anyways. They pinch your fingers.

from woodsdog wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

I have had considerable luck with rattle bags... but they must be the large ones the deeper toned wood in them. Mine, I believe is 12 inches long therabouts. I have NOT had consistent luck with the smaller ones. I believe mine is from Hunters Specialties. The biggest bucks I've rattled in were on colder days, late pre rut and always with aggressive grunting. I usually do it every fifteen to twenty minutes on stand.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 15 weeks ago

Buckhunter - I've been looking for something that packs down a little better, but you can't go wrong with sheds. Season was good. I only took 1 doe, but I had a blast putting my GF on deer this fall. She got 2 does and a button buck. Freezer's full and we have some great memories. How was your trip to the ADKs?

from jesusfan wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Or you could just buy a rattle bag...

from schwings wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Or you can fall and puncture yourself with an antler.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Also,

Jesus, Have never had consistent luck with rattle bags.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago