Deer Hunting Tips: Add Cover to Your Stand with Branches and Zip Ties

Whitetail 365

December 04, 2012

Deer Hunting Tips: Add Cover to Your Stand with Branches and Zip Ties

By Dave Hurteau

Seasoned bowhunters know that picking the right tree in which to hang a stand can mean the difference between putting an arrow through a buck and just standing there with your thumb up your nose, watching him lollygag, broadside and without a care, just out of range. The problem is that the perfect tree in terms of location is not always perfect in terms of cover.

On my recent hunt with Bestul, I hunted one particular stand where Scott solved this problem by first clipping some branches from a tree species that holds its leaves late into the season—in this case, oak—and then using zip ties to attach them to both the bottom of the stand platform to block the view of deer below and to the tree trunk behind to create back cover. Check out the video to see just how he does it.

from ray cummings wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

I have reported the "comment" above but it keeps coming up. It is an add for a dating service and does not belong on this site!
As for the video, it was very disapointing. It did not show the way the limbs were atteched or even a picture of the stand before and after it was added.

from jamesti wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

i see the videos still dont work on this site. good to see nothing has changed.

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Been doing this for years, works well.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Ray,
Our deepest apologies for assuming that most hunters know how to:
1. Cut a branch.
2. Pull a Zip Tie tight.
3. Imagine what a bare tree looks like.
For you, though, we will add a link, with more information. We'll try to get it up there today, so keep a look out.

from scottGinNJ wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Along the same line of thought, I am hunting from a tripod stand for the first time this year. I purchased a 6 pack of fake branches (looks like oak leaves) from Cabela's and wire tied them all over it. They are very flexible and you can position every leaf for maximum effect. I put them on the legs and I attached the others below my feet and bent them up around me. Since I'm sitting only 12' up, I think it has made a big difference.

from johnjf wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

great tip, thanks for sharing and don't forget to check out elusivebuck.com

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

jamesti: videos on this site do not work for me either.

i cut up old fake christmas trees and use them to cover my stands sometimes

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Ray,
Our deepest apologies for assuming that most hunters know how to:
1. Cut a branch.
2. Pull a Zip Tie tight.
3. Imagine what a bare tree looks like.

from ray cummings wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from jamesti wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

i see the videos still dont work on this site. good to see nothing has changed.

from Walt Smith wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Been doing this for years, works well.

from scottGinNJ wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from johnjf wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

great tip, thanks for sharing and don't forget to check out elusivebuck.com

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

jamesti: videos on this site do not work for me either.

i cut up old fake christmas trees and use them to cover my stands sometimes