Shoot Me Down: Hug a Hipster (and a Soccer Mom)

Whitetail 365

December 07, 2012

Shoot Me Down: Hug a Hipster (and a Soccer Mom)

By Dave Hurteau

The online magazine Slate recently posted the rare positive article about hunting, for which I commend them. Its bottom line is that the “expansion of hunting into liberal, urban circles is the latest development in an evolving and increasingly snug coexistence between humans and beasts in North America” as the “bearded, bicycle-riding, locavore set” concludes that it is “more responsible and ecologically sound to eat an animal that was raised wild and natural in [the] local habitat….”

Okay, as annoying as it may be to us that a handful of these people seem to think they invented the concept of hunting for intellectual reasons; as satisfying as it would be to say “No sh*t, you little punk!” to any 20-something in skinny jeans who tries to explain to us why we hunt, I say we should totally overlook the fact that they shop at thrift stores where used clothing is marked down for the benefit of the legitimately poor and embrace them with open arms.

As the great deer hunting historian Dr. Robert Wegner has pointed out many times, it was not so very long ago that the American deer hunter was a mainstream cultural hero, practically oozing rugged individualism and moral fiber. The current locavore movement can help us regain some of that image. It already is.

It’s important to note that urban hipsters are just one part of a larger trend—a part that easily attracts media attention. I live in a college town in a Republican-leaning rural county. I commonly talk to nonhunters about hunting. From what I can tell, the growing interest in a more honest and responsible food ethic that includes or considers hunting is neither particularly liberal nor hip. What it is, is becoming increasingly mainstream. I’ll bet a third or more of the nonhunters who ask me about deer hunting, with real enthusiasm and curiosity, are suburban stay-at-home moms.

Liberal or conservative, hip or not, we should embrace them all—even the ones who imagine that an enlightened view of hunting emanates up from a pair of vintage Nikes. We don’t have to thank them for figuring it all out for us bumpkins. But we shouldn’t dismiss or scoff—well maybe scoff a little, but only amongst ourselves.

Seriously, we should be glad to have them in our ranks; we should take them hunting and encourage them to spread the word. There you have it. I think you should hug a hipster. Stand with me or shoot me down.

from rock rat wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

There was a blog post on the online version of High Country News (a magazine broadly concerned with environmental issues of the west) written by a young bearded hipster whose only variation from the mean might be that he grew up hunting and fishing. www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/gone-hunting-wolves The editors had to come onto the comment section twice to explain that it was simply a blog post about a legal activity (hunting wolves), the Facebook link to the same article drew close to 100 comments mostly negative. There is still a ways to go.

My hope is that the broader acceptance of deer hunting will lead to an understanding of hunting's role in conservation.

from smccardell wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Dave I couldn't agree more! This year my three oldest boys gifted me (and for one brief day cursed me) the ability to "spread the gospel" by tagging 7 whitetail during there two day youth hunt. This has afforded me to not only share backstrap and roasts with family and friends it has allowed me the benefit of fixing things like corned venison. I have shared these with coworkers and the like and all have been astonished at the flavor. Some couldnt even tell it was venison. Although I don't think many of them will take up hunting, I know that they now have an appreciation for the honest way in which it was acquired as well as how it tastes. I am currently thawing a goose to make jerky and will be introducing them to some more wild game.

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

As commanded I will run around hugging soccer moms.
I've long used the "If free range is better wild is best" logic in discussion with my non-hunting friends. It generally strikes a chord.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Can't shoot you down on this one either Dave...I agree entirely. The number of hunters has declined for the past few decades. It's good to see new folks taking an interest in hunting, and it's our responsibility to show them how to do it successfully, ethically, and most important, safely. Youth programs are great, but I think we're at the point where we need to design mentoring programs for adults as well. One of the biggest road blocks to hunting is not having a mentor, and that goes for all ages, not just kids. In the past few years I have introduced several new folks to hunting, not all of them were kids, but as far as I know, all of them are still hunting.

from ejunk wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

the best part of this article is the point that being a hunter does not automatically mean that your politics fit into a very specific (read: conservative) mold. there are liberal minded hunters now and there always have been. the discussions on this website are further evidence of that.

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

As a student at Ohio University, one particularly riddled with the hipster scene I found this article quite amusing. I haven't seen the hunting Renaissance take hold here yet among said crowd, but I would appreciate it whenever it does. I will always appreciate someone else taking up my hobbies and sharing my passions as long as he/she is genuinely vested in the pursuit.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Cannot get the thought out of my head of the hipster who buys a fly rod, visits a dude ranch out west, catches a few trout under a strike indicator, then calls himself a fly fisherman.

from Kenneth J PeKarek wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I agree whole heartedly! I doesn't make any difference how people make the change or recognize the truth. It is more important that they understand in what ever way they deem fit that there is merit in hunting and harvesting wild game. The overall problem as I see it is that the "hipsters" overlook the facts and get on the "hip" bandwagon without really looking into the issue. We need all the support we can muster and they are welcome as far as I am concerned and given the opportunity I will try to enlighten them even more.

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

On what possible basis could I shoot you down on this? Seriously, this article should be called a “jump for joy” article rather than “shoot me down.” Having grown up an outdoorsman who has lived in the Boston Metro area of Massachusetts for the entirety of my short life, I am genuinely pleased to know that perhaps we have finally gained ground in this battle.
There are other reasons that suburbanites may be gaining a greater acceptance of hunting other than just the localvore movement. Increased deer populations in suburban areas have meant that limited hunting opportunities have reopened in these areas for the purposes of herd reduction. Townspeople might now see hunting as a necessary way to stop forest degradation and limit the spread of lymes diseases as well as finally seeing the logic of sorely needed population reduction. In Weston MA, a town that neighbor’s mine, the deer population has reached approximately 25 deer per square mile, which is bad considering this is an urban area with no farmland. The town recently opened up a bow season there, and the realization is finally dawning on the folks there that hunting is not only favorable, but necessary. Still, we must remain vigilant, for with the increased exposure will come more opposition. Already there is a group in Weston committed to stopping the hunt.
Ultimately, it’s these kinds of localvores who I believe are going to save our sport. Guys like Hank Shaw (The Hunter, Angler, Gardener, Cook) and Tovar Cervuli are taking hunting from a “good ol boy” activity and bringing it to the masses of the new generation. If we want to see hunting continue, then we must embrace these newcomers, and show them what it’s really all about. If we do, then watch with amazement as groups like PETA and HSUS start to lose their powerbase and crumble, as their suburban followers suddenly realize the folly of these groups and embrace hunting.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

nehunter,
I actually think it is pretty easy to shoot this down. I think it would be wrongheaded, but not hard to do. I'll wait and see if anyone does, though, before I say more.

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Excellent points, by the way, ne.

from labrador12 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I'm not shooting you down, but this is different from all of the long haired, bearded hunters and fishermen from 40 years ago how? I'm all for more folks in the know but a question remains, we are teaching folks that the environment in general is better than it has been in 150 years, right? These eagles and osprey and deer and turkeys are here even though the population has doubled in the last 50 years. We can exist and thrive along side healthy wildlife populations.

from Half-of-two wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I'll have to agree, and I'll take it even a step further. Not only are the "hipters" getting into hunting more and more, but around here, I've seen a definate increase in the younger generation getting into hunting as well. I've only been hunting for about 5 years now, but as I got more and more into it, I also involved my son, who will be 16 in Jan. Not only has it grown to be a passion of his, but many of his friends are making their way out to the fields & woods, as well. My great-uncle owns a near-by trap range and Jake (my son) & I have taken a half-dozen or so of his buddies with us to shoot clays...now my phone is constantly buzzing with texts asking when we're going again! I think it's great to see more people, especially the younger generation, getting involved in hunting and the outdoors, in general. Anything that gets high school kids off the XBox and outdoors gets a thumbs-up from me! Now, if we can just get the "hipsters" to describe it as something other than "trendy" we'd be in good shape. Trends come and go. Hunting is something that needs to be passed down from one generation to the next. Not only is it about the end product, harvesting game and filling a freezer, but more importantly it is about spending quality time with friends & family.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I feel this is not a battle to be won or lost. It is a battle to be understood or misunderstood.

I think we try to hard to convert non-hunters to hunters when all we have to do is have them understand.

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Great article, and great news for the outdoor community. In my opinion, it would be foolish to shoot this one down. If people want hunting and fishing to flourish then accepting anyone who is interested is the best medicine. Those who shun or scoff at the "hipster" because they dont fit the bill of the classic hunter image is actually acting like a hipster themselves. "You arent cool enough like the rest of us to hunt."

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I also find it worth pointing out that within the confines of internet culture, "Hipsters" are usually derided as people who claimed to have enjoyed something before it was "cool" or more often, "mainstream." Going by this definition, WE would be that actual hipsters here if we were to scoff at the newcomers.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I will bite. I don't think hipsters have any use in the woods other than hugging trees or piddling their soon to be baby momma. The hipsters or BDZ's (Brain Dead Zombies) if you will doesn't understand hunting or the origins/tradition of it, they would be merely out there to kill. Don't get me wrong these skinny jean wearing hipsters need a little taste of the outdoors and what it means/takes to be a man. Most of them think being in touch with their softer side, wearing skinny jeans, popped collars, fake diamond earings the size of my t3st3es, etc... is cool. When my wife and I go out she always has the same comment, "There are no real men left in this world" (of course not talking of me because I'm pictured in the dictionary next to manly)!!! She's thouroghly convinced that 75% of all males switch hit and I couldn't agree more. So thats my broad generalization of hipsters.

Now for the reason they don't need to be in the woods hunting:

1) They don't understand hunting. It isn't for fun although it is enjoyable.It's about nature, instinct, God, love, tradition, survival, and the satisfaction of being self-sufficient providing for yourself, your family, and others that you may help with food. They don't get that otherwise this would have been a non-issue to begin with. They don't get that it isn't just killing even though your taking the life of a living thing. I pray over all my animals and thank God for them, I don't think they would understand the spirituality that most hunters have.

2) I know everyone says hunters are declining, I say BS! Where I live and pretty much throughout Ohio it is nearly impossible to find land to hunt for 2 reasons, 1 being it is already being hunted, 2 it is off limits because of some idiots that can't respect other peoples property and in my area that is the main cause and thanks to many of the hipsters we are talking about.

3) Starbucks is hard to keep warm in a treestand. Try it!

4) No cell phone reception!

5) I would rather take my chances with a jihadist with a AK47 than with some gamer with a shotgun that revels in COD.

Many more to go but simple is better. I should also say I'm a 30yrs old male that many here would consider a hipster based on their view, and rightfully so because with everything views are regional and based on age. Many I know considers me a hillbilly and people that I consider a hillbilly would consider me no different than someone from Manhattan.

from Dcast wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Buckhunters comment is truly what this is all about.

from hoosierdude wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I have seen this shift in attitude first hand. I live near a midwestern college town crawling with hipster-locavore-foodies and littered with organic co-op grocers.
I used to be the meat manager at such a store. Trendy suburbanites and hipsters alike would fork over small fortunes for grass-fed organic beef. Daily I would hear them bemoan the high cost. It made me want to leap over the counter, grab them by the shoulders, and point out that they had the finest red meat the world has to offer running through their backyards. "Ya know, those hooved animals that eat your hostas and your vegetable garden every year!?"
Instead, I would shrug and say, "I'm a deer hunter so I just eat venison." This was usually met with a mix of genuine appreciation and curiousity, with a hint of envy and awe. I could sense that the concept of hunting for meat was completely alien to them; these folks were about as likely to walk on the moon as they were to take up arms and go hunting. But they respected what I was telling them, and many said they'd love to try some of my vension.
Like nehunter92, my town's burgeoning urban deer population has reached a critical point. Two years ago the city council formed a "Deer Advisory Task Force" consisting of several people that knew zilch about deer. After countless meetings, thousands of taxpayer dollars, and lenghty discussions concerning fairy tale solutions like deer birth control, the task force offered forth their "findings" to the city council. They finally came to terms with the fact that hunting is the only feasible means for controling the deer population. The council adpoted their "findings" and this was met with surprisingly little public opposition. Next year there will be bow hunting allowed on parcels of land 5 acres or bigger.
Hipsters are unlikey allies but we'll take 'em. Any friend of hunting should be a friend of ours. And you're right Dave...we should still scoff at them privately. And maybe snicker a little too.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I thought it couldn't get any worse than the tactital fad.....now we are headed towards emo.....I guess I should try to sell them my old crappy "vintage" gear.

from hermit crab wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

buckhunter:
I fully understand your point about flyfishing, but I strongly disagree with that sentiment. Comments and mentalities like that strongly discourage people from trying and staying involved with hunting/fishing. Would you downplay a child's first trout even though it was caught with a worm under a bobber? Adults have to start somewhere too, and discouragement like that does nothing but reduce their interest in further pursuing that activity.

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Mumble, mumble, mumble, tree hugging long haired freaks! Mumble, mumble, mumble.

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Dave just like the guy that shot my uncles Heffer. Saying it was OK because he had a Doe permit. I believe you miss IDed the species. What you saw was a Naturalist. Someone that believes the world is governed by natural law. Hipsters are urban dwellers and rarely seen outside San Fransico and Williamsburg.

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Uh huh. Another fad.

Hipsters follow any fad they think the the women they want to date will find cool. When it becomes hard, or frustrating or )@*&#!@ freakin cold; they are done.

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

It's great that people become understanding of hunting and fishing but some people just don't belong in the woods.
About 10 years ago on the first day of rifle season I'm standing in a buddy of mine's garage who proceses deer listening to him and his father laughing about 2 guys from Pittsburgh that came in asking about "what they should do". Aparently one of them came into a clearing saw what he thought was an albino buck and shot it. Well turns out he shot a local farmer's goat that had got loose!
Granted they faced the embarasment of what they did which most people wouldn't do. But to go deer hunting and not being able to tell the difference between a goat and a deer is just stupid!
I would've loved to have been there when the game commission showed up!

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

i'm standing with you.

however, i haven't seen this trend personally. although most of the hipsters in wisconsin are down by madison and milwaukee and i haven't been to either city in probably 2 years

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Dudes shouldn't hug dudes who wear skinny jeans.

from jmrcexplorer wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

This seriously has to be the most positive story in a long time regarding hunting and fishing. For years F&S has been running stories about taking your kid hunting or your wife, in order to decrease the downward trend in hunters. Now you actually have people who want to learn how to hunt and harvest food for themselves. Hunting has a large learning curve and it would be great to see game and fish departments take on mentor/mentee programs like I think Missouri does. Not everyone was fortunate enough to be raised in a home with a Father/Mother who could teach them the outdoors.

from MattM37 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I like bioguy01's comment that we need more than youth programs. Many youth agencies are municipal and even rural town councils are not likely to approve a youth bureau hunting program due to the nightmare liability and logistical issues (and of course non-municipal agencies have the same problems). And my hat is off to sportsman's clubs and groups that have youth programs and events, but it seems that this isn't really anything that reaches out to nonhunters since the kids participating are usually hunters' kids and would more than likely grow up as hunters anyway. I'm not saying any of these efforts should end; I'm just saying that I think it has too long been a knee-jerk reaction to talk only about the kids when we talk about how to solve our diminishing numbers problem. Jcarlin, great way to talk about the food issue, by the way: "If free range is good, wild is better." I plan to use that in my next conversation with a nonhunter, if you don't mind.

from Douglas wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I have had the experiance of a hippie mom bawling her eyes out over the beautiful deer being murdered during deer season, only to about face and beg for hunters to "thin the population" when said deer wiped out her organic garden.
It all depends on what ox is being Gored.
I was , by the way, part of the bearded, bicyle riding locavore set of the 70's. Thats why I moved into the north country for the cheap land opportunites.
My hair is now gone but the beard remains. My bicycle turned into a ATV. I see the most unlikely scions of the hippie folks hunting these days. All responsible and ethical hunters. Including my boys.

from aferraro wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Anything that increases our numbers works for me. Hunters and fishermen (fisher people) are the main reason we have parks, game lands and preserves- so it's great they are finally catching on. Just remember- don't spark up the dube until the guns are stowed away and no man purses or Uggs are allowed in the woods. Different kinds of people hunt- most of the people I hunt with are very conservative, but haven't been to church since grade school.

from Matthew Matzek wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Wow. Great article! Politics aside, this will give me some good ammo against any anti-hunting veggie-hippie I come across

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Great comment buckhunter. +1 for you sir!

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from hermit crab wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

buckhunter:

from ejunk wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from natureonthefly wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from hoosierdude wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from jcarlin wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

As commanded I will run around hugging soccer moms.

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Half-of-two wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from nehunter92 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

I would've loved to have been there when the game commission showed up!

from aferraro wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from rock rat wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from smccardell wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Kenneth J PeKarek wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

nehunter,

from Dave Hurteau wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Excellent points, by the way, ne.

from labrador12 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Dcast wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Now for the reason they don't need to be in the woods hunting:

3) Starbucks is hard to keep warm in a treestand. Try it!

4) No cell phone reception!

from Dcast wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Buckhunters comment is truly what this is all about.

from redfishunter wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from FirstBubba wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from RockySquirrel wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Uh huh. Another fad.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

i'm standing with you.

from benjaminwc wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

Dudes shouldn't hug dudes who wear skinny jeans.

from jmrcexplorer wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from MattM37 wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

from Douglas wrote 1 year 19 weeks ago

It all depends on what ox is being Gored.

from Matthew Matzek wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

from Bioguy01 wrote 1 year 18 weeks ago

Great comment buckhunter. +1 for you sir!