March Madness: The Elite Eight of Long-Range Deer Cartridges

Whitetail 365

March 21, 2013

March Madness: The Elite Eight of Long-Range Deer Cartridges

By Dave Hurteau

Now this is interesting. In our past contests (brush guns, all-around rifles, all-around cartridges), it’s been chalk, chalk, chalk. But the Division II long-range contest was an outbreak of upsets. Three of four favorites went down, as the underdog .280 Remington topped the 7mm STW, the plain-Jane .270 Winchester took down its short-mag sibling, and the vanilla .308 thumped the .264 Winchester Magnum. Meanwhile, the .300 Winchester Magnum predictably dropped the 7mm- 08. And thus, our Elite Eight is set.

And so on to it: Check out the bracket (you can click here to print out a copy if you want to fill it out by hand). Then vote for your preferred long-range deer cartridge in each matchup below, as usual, to begin the Elite Eight round. We'll follow up soon with the Final Four, and finally the F&S Long-Range Deer Cartridge Championship.

from coachsjike wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

not sure if i agree with the 270 win over the 308 win. yes i know its a flat shooting bullet but the 308 has been the sniper staple for a long time and for good reason. should be interesting how this plays out.

from mayoaaron wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

30-06 all the way!

from Calsdadhunting wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

I'll never understand people's blind loyalty to a caliber (especially some of the .30 calibers). THIS IS A LONG RANGE CALIBER BRACKET! There is no way the .308 should have beaten the .264 (which is lights out for deer at pretty much any range you can see). The same could be said for the .270 WSM over the .270 (although admittedly the .270 is no slouch - so I guess I can see that one as well as the the .25-06 to the .257 Weatherby). But the .30-06 to the 7mm Mag is a no brainer. I grew up hunting mule deer in the high desert and I can tell you every one of my hunting buddies growing up moved up from .308s and .30-06s to 7mags and .300s. Maybe for those of you who feel 200 yards is long range, then the .30-06 is king, but over 300 there really isn't much comparison. .30-06 wins because its a .30-06, not based on any realistic competition. I don't know why you even have these brackets - its all a popularity contest.

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

the .270 with it's flatter trajectory and extra speed would be the better choice over the .308. just can't stuff enough powder in a .308 case Remember we are talking hunting cartriges not target ammo in which case the .308 would be the more accurate of the two but not by a large margin

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

Calsdadhunting,

Amen! That has been my argument all along.

from Pacific Hunter wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

Somebody please give me a logical explanation of why in .257 Weatherby vs. .25/06 you would go with the slower of the exact same bullet. I have them both, they both get the same accuracy, just one shoots flatter which is the key in a long range caliber beyond BC's. What am I missing other than one has part of the dirty '06's name?

from T.DeArman wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

To the guy who posted about the 30.06 not being in comparison out past 300 yards has blown my mind. WWI GI were using peep sights and killing consistently out to 500 yards (not to mention my current hunting setup can reach out that far without trying). There are also so many people that shoot 1000 yard target matches with the caliber its not funny (good luck finding half of that number that can reach that far with a 7mm rem mag). good luck ever matching the calibers versatility at any range and any critter.

from Proverbs wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

You won't find a bigger fan of the .30-06 than right here. But for this fight, at this range, I'll choose my 7mm Mag. Every time. Methinks a few western hunts would change some minds in short order.

from hengst wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

I thought this was the "Elite 8 of LONG RANGE deer cartridges? 30-06 over 7mm rem 308 over 264 25-06 over 257 wby? After the votes are tallied switch the name to mid range cartridges, that will fit the results better.

from hengst wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

T.D shooting at paper or people during combat is different than hunting applications. Folks have killed people and deer with a 22 doesn't make it viable.

from Redbone wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

There all decent choices my personal choice is the 308 because I shoot it all the time and do it well. Sure others are flatter hit harder etc but I shoot the 308 best my rifle prints 1/4 inch at 100 sometimes almost 1/8. Its way more accurate than needed for deer but its gives me a larger room for error in the field. Where I cant use a rifle I use a Thompson encore in 243 it to is super accurate does minimal meet damage and kills deer graveyard dead. Just my opinion. Gonna be interesting to see which wins!

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

T. Derman,

The contest has nothing to do with versatility! IT's simply about which cartridge is best suited for long range deer hunting. the 30/06 is an awesome cartridge and it has probably killed more medium to large game in North America than anything but take some time and look at the ballistics between a 30/06 and a 7mm remington mag. Just a few examples (30/06 150gr b.c. .313 2900 fps) Vs (7mm 150gr B.C. .436 3100 fps) (30/06 165 gr B.C. .454 2800 fps) vs ( 7mm 160 gr B.C. .475 3000 fps) The numbers clearly indicate that the 7mm is better suited for long range deer hunting than the 06. Again, nothing against 06 and its loyalists.

from Drew McClure wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

I have seen first hand knowledgeable family members cheat on their 30'06 pre-64's, which Arkansan Carlos Hathcock had no problem out-sniping any of "you" and "us" wannabes with. Here is the progression- I'll replace my 30-06 with a 7mm Rem mag which has flatter trajectory, but wait for elk hunting a 300 Win mag has a more desirable ballistic coefficient in heavier bullets so I'll take one, and then I'll take a 257 Weatherby because I don't need that heavy of a bullet to kill a deer, and finally taking that neglected pre-64 30-06 becomes nostalgic and even though it makes the trip to deer camp the 7mm Rem mag makes it to the stand, all the while you cheaters on your Model 70 won't sell me the 06' even though I would hunt with it over my 243 Win because it leaves a better blood trail my 243 Win. hold the 1000 yard record. So -model 70 then Tikka T3 then Sako, then Weatherby, then back to Model 70. Cheers. May this popularity contest not result in me buying a new rifle this year.

from Drew McClure wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

"243 Win (which) holds 1000 yard smallest group record)"

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

We were talking about "long range calibers" The .257 Weatherby is above the 25-06 but people don't know that and the 7MM Mag is superior to the 30-06 , I guess people are just blinded by the 30-06 stigma.

from Andy Rombeck wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

Define long range. Most people are not comfortable taking shots over say 300 yards. It comes with time and confidence. Also it is a hunting (meat harvesting) bracket, not which caliber can put the biggest hole in it. Shot placement is key folks.

from hsken wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

I am sorry, I need someone to explain to me how, from a performance standpoint, the standard 270 (which I agree is a great caliber) could possibly out perform the 270wsm for deer at long range. Clearly this bracket is just a popularity contest.

from Scott Bartsch wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

This bracket reeks of caliber bias.

from huntslow wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

I would say it reeks of "favorite" caliber. All of these will kill a deer a longer range than most people should shoot.

from LeVan Goodey wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

If you check out re-loading manuals you will find that a 30-06 in the higher bullet weights can be loaded to out perform the 7mm magnum.

-2 Good Comment? | | Report
from sendero72 wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

Long range is generally define as 600 to 1000 yds. With all the high tech bullets the 7 mag will do all you need it to do. Aaron Davidson's 10 year old kid shot an elk at 1376 yds with the 7 mag. Who ever established the brackets is not a long range shooter. A 25-06 over the 6.5-284 is ridiculous and to compare the 7-08 with a 300 mag is pure ignorance.

from huntslow wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

NM - I do not know what books you have but the fastest .30-06 load in 180 grain (as you said higher weights) is a factory load at 2880. I have not seen a loading manual with a higher velocity. For the 7 Mag the Nosler book and others show 175 grain Partitions at 2970 and 180 Bergers not far behind. Given that the BC is much better on 7MM bullets, I am not sure how you come to your conclusion

from LeVan Goodey wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

You have to look at the down range numbers, not the muzzle velocities. At distance the 190 grain boat tail 308s have an advantage over the 175 grain 7mms. The books that I read were the Hornady and Sierra reloading manuals. Granted,the numbers are such that neither target nor animals would really know the difference. The 30-06 held many of the 1000 yard Wimbledon records for a lot of years before other cartridges became more popular. As a commercial offering, no doubt the 7mm Mag will beat the 30-06.

from LeVan Goodey wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from LeVan Goodey wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

Sorry for the double post. I was notified that I had exceeded the posts for the time limit.

from huntslow wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

NM - the G7 BC for the .308 190 grain Berger is .291. The 7MM 180 grain is .337. This means that even if the .30-06 could get the 190 to 2900 FPS it would have more drop and less energy that the 7 Mag. You are correct that the animal can't tell the difference. It is still more about "The Shooter".

from scratchgolf72 wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

clearly most of this voting is not based on ballistic performance....257 weatherby performs better then a 25-06, 7mm rem mag performs better then a .30-06.

from DakotaMan wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

I chose the 25-06 over the .257 Wby in my own Mark V rifle. They are both hot long range deer rifles and are almost identical in long range terminal performance on deer. The .257 Wby produces 100-200 fps additional velocity; most of which is attributable to Weatherby's long freebore (which I still use in the Mark V, producing about 100-200 fps of additional velocity in my Mark V 25-06).

In my Mark V 25-06 I can shoot 100g bullets at 3500 instead of 3600 (top .257 Wby speed). If I want to toast that rifle's barrel, I can shoot 75g bullets to 3900 fps; but I slow them down to 3750 and can shoot thousands without worry. This speedy freebore negatively affects accuracy but is still within tolerance for long range deer hunting needs.

I am able to acquire the least expensive of all brass (range 30-06 and .270 for free) and I use about 20% less powder in each load. These low cost shots allow me to practice with hundreds, if not thousands, of rounds each year. NOTHING makes a rifle more effective at long range than a shooter who is highly confident in the shot because they have MADE it a hundred times before.

I have not shot enough .257 Wby for a scientific comparison but thus far, over the last 45 years all of my 25-06s have beat every .257 Weatherby I have shot or shot against in 500 yard accuracy. I will always choose accuracy over a little bit of speed at 500 yards and beyond. Either of these rifles that hit a deer in a vital zone at 500 yards will produce a bang/flop.

I can honestly tell you that shooting a deer in the heart at 500 yards is NOT a challenge after you have shot dozens of prairie dogs at that range in winds gusting to 25 mph. A deer looks like a mighty BIG target at that range compared to a p-dog.

Finally, the low recoil of the .257 caliber rifles is the big reason why I prefer them to the big boomers like the 7mm Mag or .300 Win for long range deer. They allow me sufficient repetitions in long range shooting practice to be confident and to be successful.

from WA Mtnhunter wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

DakotaMan,

Are you saying that your .25-06 Mark V has the typical freebore of Weatherby calibers? If so, you better contact Weatherby because they don't think so. I have asked Weatherby that on previous occasions and the answer has always been that their standard caliber chambers are cut to SAAMI specs, which has 0.0233 inches of freebore for the .25-06 Remington as opposed to 0.378 inches of freebore for the .257 Roy.

from DakotaMan wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

WAM, good question! I was told when I got the Mark V that it had the long freebore and that I should load accordingly. I have not measured it though and you may well be right. My Mark V does produce about 100-150 fps higher velocity compared to my other 25-06 barrels so I never questioned it. The additional velocity could be caused by other factors though such as the diameter or friction of the bore.

It has a 24 inch barrel and still produces higher velocity than my 26 inch Sendero barrel. I had another 26" with a 1:12 twist that produced velocities similar to the Mark V but it required a boost in charge to accomplish that.

from coachsjike wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from Proverbs wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from Calsdadhunting wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from Pacific Hunter wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from Sarge01 wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from deadeyedick wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

Calsdadhunting,

Amen! That has been my argument all along.

from hengst wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from hengst wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from Drew McClure wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

"243 Win (which) holds 1000 yard smallest group record)"

from hsken wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from huntslow wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from mayoaaron wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

30-06 all the way!

from T.DeArman wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from Redbone wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

T. Derman,

from Drew McClure wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from Andy Rombeck wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

from Scott Bartsch wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago

This bracket reeks of caliber bias.

from sendero72 wrote 1 year 3 weeks ago