Bestul Wins QDMA Communicator of the Year Award

Whitetail 365

July 23, 2013

Bestul Wins QDMA Communicator of the Year Award

By Dave Hurteau

Well, Bestul sure as hell ain’t going to ring his own bell. (His Midwestern sensibilities would never allow that.) And so I’m here to tell you that last week, at the Quality Deer Management Association’s 13th National Convention in Athens, Georgia, the country’s top deer conservation group honored Scott with their Communicator of the Year Award.

“A fearless, fair reporter and critic for the world’s biggest outdoor magazine,” the MC, Lindsay Thomas, read at the ceremony, “Bestul has chronicled the recent whitetail boom and challenged millions of today’s outdoorsmen to become not just hunters but the managers of one of our most treasured resources.”

As his long-time editor, I couldn’t have said it better myself. As just two examples from this past year, Bestul dug into Gov. Scott Walker’s controversial Executive Order No. 44, appointing prominent Texas biologist James “Dr. Deer” Kroll as Wisconsin’s Whitetail Deer Trustee, in “The Deer Czar.” A few months later, for our February 2013 Great Stories issue, he showed his range with “Regret,” a devastatingly honest account of a huge buck shot and lost.

And last year reveals just a small sample of what Bestul’s been doing for more than two decades. You might remember the potential walking world-record whitetail in 2008 that quickly became known to the hunting world as the “Field & Stream Buck” That was Bestul’s doing. In 2010, when a Minnesota district court judge found the owners of Scent-Lok clothing liable for false advertising (for which they have since been legally exonerated) and the rest of the outdoor media collectively stared at its feet, Bestul wrote “Something Stinks at Scent-Lok,” a tirelessly researched journalistic account of the ruling and a defense of consumer protections for sportsmen. Meanwhile, as so many other so-called pros and experts also happen to be selling you something, Bestul is trying to figure out, on your behalf, what actually works and what doesn’t, with stories like “Your Ultimate Bow” and his ongoing “Sniff Test,” in which a drug-sniffing dog helps ferret out what products really can and can’t fool a buck’s nose (hint: most can’t).

Anyway, enough of this lovefest; I think I’m getting a hive. But if you check out the embedded links above, you’ll see for yourself why Bestul’s recent award is so well deserved.

from Kris24 wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

Congratulations Mr. Bestul....well deserved!!!

from GrandSlamDreamer wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

A well deserved award for a hard working man. As most of my hunting is whitetail based, the articles by Mr. Bestul and you, Mr. Hurteau, carry some extra weight with me. I have yet to be let down by the honesty and no BS attitude that is exhibited in your articles. It also takes a special kind of person to recognize another's accomplishments, so I raise my blaze orange hat to both of you. Keep the good reads coming!

from GrandSlamDreamer wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

Congratulations and well deserved.

I hope Scott had a chance to rub elbows with Bioguy while in Athens.

Just put an order in at 3 Rivers Archery. It's like Christmas in July!

from Bioguy01 wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

Congrats Scott! Next time your in town, let me know! Hurteau should have my email on file somewhere.

from Will Brantley wrote 38 weeks 4 days ago

Definitely well-deserved. Congrats, Scott!

from scottbestul wrote 38 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks for the kind words, guys. They mean a lot.

from Kris24 wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

Congratulations Mr. Bestul....well deserved!!!

from GrandSlamDreamer wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

from GrandSlamDreamer wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

from buckhunter wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

Congratulations and well deserved.

I hope Scott had a chance to rub elbows with Bioguy while in Athens.

Just put an order in at 3 Rivers Archery. It's like Christmas in July!

from Bioguy01 wrote 38 weeks 5 days ago

from Will Brantley wrote 38 weeks 4 days ago

Definitely well-deserved. Congrats, Scott!

from scottbestul wrote 38 weeks 4 days ago

Thanks for the kind words, guys. They mean a lot.