What a Deer-Hunting Video Should Be

Whitetail 365

August 23, 2013

What a Deer-Hunting Video Should Be

By Dave Hurteau

I'm not going to clutter this up with any of my nonsense, except to say: This, Hunting Deer; Sharing the Harvest, from Wisconsin Media Lab, is what a deer-hunting video should be—serious, reverent. Have a look.

from VAHunter540 wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

If more hunting shows on TV had this kind of vibe I would watch alot more than I do now.

from scorp wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

You must be so proud shooting a bambi.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report
from Dougfir wrote 33 weeks 4 days ago

Agreed. If this were the face of hunting in America, you'd be able to count the anti-hunters on your hands.

from Muskie wrote 33 weeks 4 days ago

Just to let you guys know as you watch this the six Chippewa bands in Wisconsin are in a legal battle with the state to allow them to hunt at night with spotlights. So as much as this video is a nice change of pace this guy could very well be shooting deer at night with spotlights this fall.

from buckstopper wrote 33 weeks 3 days ago

I would agree with 90% of this video. It is a reverent thing harvesting big game. We should thank our Creator for providing its nourishment and sport. However it is not a shameful thing. It was placed there for our purpose and use. The LORD GOD placed us in dominion over the earth and things in it. Does that mean we can abuse and exploit...NO, we have a holy responsibility to manage our resources wisely and sustainably. I would not have a problem for native peoples to harvest on their reservations how they see fit as long as the harvests are managed properly. I understand they allow this in Canada.

from CJ wrote 33 weeks 3 days ago

Tribal hunting = poaching for the most part.

from Muskie wrote 33 weeks 3 days ago

The night hunting that would be taking place would be allowed on any land the in the Ceded Territory which is basically the northern third of the state. This would include any public land open to hunt such as state and national forest land.

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 32 weeks 6 days ago

This is very close to the European way of hunting. Respect for the fallen game and the esteem of following the old traditions makes for a more spiritual connection to the game we chase.

Too often, I see "hunters" let out a rebel yell or worse. They disrespect the game and take only what they want such as the loins or straps. Using as much of the game as you can honors that animal, and in a sense brings you closer to nature. Its not just about hanging antlers on the wall. Its about bringing one of the last few pure things on Earth into your body, and actually getting some good from it.

My hat's off to this first nations hunter.

from TeamAsgrow wrote 32 weeks 5 days ago

I try to use as much of every deer I shoot. Hides get donated to the legion, I use bones to make stock, the meat is used in choice cuts and others are turned into sausage/ground, and every deer I have shot with horns is on display in my living room, big and small alike, all are trophies to me.

from ImABassMan wrote 32 weeks 1 day ago

Its the coolest thing in the world to me when people can use every little bit of their environment to survive. The complete woodsman.

from MPEK wrote 18 weeks 14 hours ago

I am sorry to get to this post so late . Great footage . And "scorp" I am happy to know that you know how to hit keys on a key board.. However .. Who dressed you today ? Be thankful for he or she !!

from VAHunter540 wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

from Muskie wrote 33 weeks 4 days ago

from Dougfir wrote 33 weeks 4 days ago

from buckstopper wrote 33 weeks 3 days ago

from CJ wrote 33 weeks 3 days ago

Tribal hunting = poaching for the most part.

from Muskie wrote 33 weeks 3 days ago

from HeidelbergJaeger wrote 32 weeks 6 days ago

My hat's off to this first nations hunter.

from TeamAsgrow wrote 32 weeks 5 days ago

from ImABassMan wrote 32 weeks 1 day ago

from MPEK wrote 18 weeks 14 hours ago

from scorp wrote 33 weeks 5 days ago

You must be so proud shooting a bambi.

-3 Good Comment? | | Report