Bow Tip: Shoot from Your Knees or Maybe Miss Your Buck

Whitetail 365

December 11, 2013

Bow Tip: Shoot from Your Knees or Maybe Miss Your Buck

By Dave Hurteau

I have a confession: I don't shoot my bow as much as I should. When we are testing new bows in the spring, I shoot a ton and get pretty dialed in, even at long range. But during the rest of the year, like many of you I assume, work and family (and work and work and work) make it pretty much impossible to regularly hit the range. And so while Will Brantley's recent video advice to practice shooting your bow from your knees is totally valid, I admit I don't do it that much.

But, and this is a big but, you should at the very least shoot a few sessions from both your knees and sitting before the hunting season starts. The reason why is, as I say here, your point of impact can be different when kneeling, sitting, or standing.

I am ashamed to admit this, but I only found out this fall that I shoot a little low when kneeling. On a South Dakota hunt in October, I was shooting targets with well-known writer and bowhunter Bob Robb, who mentioned that he tends to shoot low from his knees. So I knelt and shot—and sure enough, so do I.

Point is, you might, too.

So if there's a chance you'll fling an arrow at a critter while kneeling, you need to know where that arrow is apt to hit. And, as I also say here, don't mess around with your shooting form in an attempt to eliminate the variance. That's asking for trouble. Your form needs to stay consistent. Instead, figure out exactly where you tend to shoot from kneeling and sitting, and make a simple aiming adjustment when your buck comes waltzing in.

from Live4Bowhunting wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago

I have posted this before about how I practice shooting like this and even got my neighbor to do it before his caribou hunt, he was reluctant at first, but was very happy because that is how he ended up getting his bull. This has also helped me in the woods and on the 3D range.

from buckhunter wrote 18 weeks 16 hours ago

A bowhunter cannot practice to much. I will add I shoot into the sun, I shoot at low light, I shoot after running several miles, I shoot uphill, downhill, shoot when it's windy, I shoot straight down below my stand... the possibilities are endless.

from Shawn Smith wrote 13 weeks 4 days ago

This truly is helpful advice. My hunting partner and I regularly practice from a tree stand we put up in his back yard with a couple different target possibilities, we also set up the blind and shoot from it, as well as standing and kneeling. It is pretty comical watching us shoot from the blind, because when we change ranges we just pick it up and move it back or forward depending on the range we are wanting to practice from.

from Live4Bowhunting wrote 18 weeks 2 days ago