Lessons From the Radio Book Tour

Whitetail 365

December 05, 2013

Lessons From the Radio Book Tour

By Scott Bestul

I'm sure that by now most of you have already purchased a copy of The Total Deer Hunter Manual, the new definitive guide to our sport penned by me and Dave. However, our publisher informs us that there are great swaths of the buying public who may not realize that this book would make a stupendous Christmas present. So as public service, I've been talking to radio show hosts across the country, shamelessly plugging our work.

So far it's been a fun, fascinating, and educational experience—largely because nary a show host who's interviewed me has been a deer hunter. These are not hook-and-bullet broadcasts, but general interest shows whose audience, from what I've gathered, is comprised of mainly non-hunters. Consequently, the questions rarely center on technical details of hunting, but rather the aspects of our sport that non-hunters find interesting or odd. They want to know why we do what we do and why we love it. So I do my best to explain, educate and, at times, laugh along with them about some of the behavior we accept as normal. All of this has allowed me me to sketch a profile of those oddballs out there who are not obsessed by deer. Here are my conculsions:

They get making meat. Hands down, the most common questions I get are about eating venison. How do I like to cook it? Do I butcher my own deer? Does your family like venison? Non-hunters not only have zero problem with what we do as long as we eat our deer, most seem to admire us for it.

They get the beauty of the outdoors. F&S features some of the world's best wildlife photography, and many such images are featured in our book. Every host has gushed about the stunning photography and seems appreciative of the amazing sights we experience each fall.

Safety is important. I've answered many questions about gun-handling, hunting from treestands, and generally staying safe in the woods. People out there are worried about our safety, and wondering if we're thinking of them, particularly during firearms seasons. I assure them that yes, we are, and that today's hunter is borderline anal about safety in comparison to our predecessors.

Antlers are appreciated. I've been asked several questions about big-racked bucks. Are they older, smarter, or genetically superior to smaller bucks? Why do some bucks grow huge, oddly-shaped antlers, while others grow like picket fences? In short, we are not the only ones who find antlers amazing examples of Nature's art.

Hunters are a little crazy. You guys actually take scentless showers? Do you really pour deer pee on your boots to attract deer? One host actually read aloud Dave's section on how to field dress a buck, giggling hysterically, and that was before he got to the part when Hurteau referred to the buck's "tallywhacker"—and then he roared. We do engage in some certifiably goofy behaviors as we chase deer, and I've had a ball viewing our bizarre rituals through a non-hunter's eyes.

So there you have it, my profile of the non-hunting populace through the questions I've been asked and not asked. I've got several more interviews scheduled this month, and maybe I'll run into a raving anti ready to drag me over the proverbial coals. Which will be fine, of course—as long as he buys someone he loves a copy of our most excellent book for a Christmas present.

from Mdhunter1 wrote 18 weeks 5 days ago

I am sure that this book will be a great read. Does anyone know when the winners of the book's deer crazy caption contest will receive their free copy?

from Online Editors wrote 18 weeks 5 days ago

Md,
It's my understanding that the winners have been contacted and that the books are on the way. If any of you is a winner and hasn't been contacted, please let us know here.
--dh

from MICHMAN wrote 18 weeks 5 days ago

If any readers are ordering on Amazon I recommend that you look up two MI authors and add them to your order. Lane Walker has three books written for children in his HOMETOWN HUNTER series which are very good. Jerry Lambert has just released a great new book called THE HUNTING SPIRIT which follows up his 1st hunting bestseller TROPHY WHITE TALES. Great Christmas gifts at affordable prices!

from Gat1162 wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago

I was one of the winners and have not yet been contacted about my Free book.

from Online Editors wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago

Hey Gat,
I just emailed you. --dh

from tracynb wrote 15 weeks 6 hours ago

Why can't you get this book on e-readers like Nook? Was it felt that nary a potential consumer of this trail-guide treatise would be inclined to purchase this work in said format? Please consider this request!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from MICHMAN wrote 18 weeks 5 days ago

from Mdhunter1 wrote 18 weeks 5 days ago

from Online Editors wrote 18 weeks 5 days ago

Md,
--dh

from Gat1162 wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago

I was one of the winners and have not yet been contacted about my Free book.

from Online Editors wrote 17 weeks 5 days ago