Treestand Tip: Install a Hang-On Faster and Easier

Whitetail 365

December 27, 2013

Treestand Tip: Install a Hang-On Faster and Easier

By Dave Hurteau

If you’re still hanging stands for this season, here’s a tip that will help you get set up more quickly and safely. Otherwise, put it in your memory bank for next fall.

As I say here, the most precarious part of hanging a lock-on stand, especially a heavy one, comes when you have to hold the weight of the stand with one hand while trying to secure the strap with the other. It’s an awkward, slow, and potentially dangerous process.

The solution is to tie a loop in your pull-up rope about a foot above the stand and to install a screw-in tree step the same distance above where you want the seat of the stand at hunting height. This way, once you’ve scaled the tree, you can simply pull the stand up and hang the loop on the step, which holds the weight so you don’t have to. Now just secure the strap and you’ll be hunting is no time.

from cody5 wrote 16 weeks 22 hours ago

Great tip. Thanks Dave.

from Savageshot wrote 16 weeks 15 hours ago

hate to rain on you, but how about public land where you can't use anything that screws into the tree. actually I wouldn't mind seeing more tips towards public land where screw in steps and trimming shooting lanes is illegal. even if the truth is everybody does it or has done it anyway.

from Savageshot wrote 16 weeks 15 hours ago

only winter food sources that deer prefer that were planted by someone that summer, juniper berry's? reindeer moss? anybody have something they always hunt on? (I hunt in the Ozark mountain region if that helps why there's no crops)

from SeanGroves wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

@Savageshot - instead of using a screw in step, if you have an extra tree belt from a harness you could apply the same principle and just tie the knot in the pull up rope to secure around the loop connection point that your harness clip would clip onto.

Dave - thanks for the tip! I look forward to trying this out.

from Georgeteyler1408 wrote 15 weeks 4 days ago

For those that hunt on public land and can not use anything that screws into the tree. I personally use a ratchet strap the same way. I place the extra strap about two feet above where I want my stand with a extra hook on the ratchet strap and place the loop ( on my rope used to pull up my stand) to the extra hook on my ratchet strap. You can also use the strap to secure you harness as well. That's just a thought for public land hunters like myself.

from Savageshot wrote 16 weeks 15 hours ago

from cody5 wrote 16 weeks 22 hours ago

Great tip. Thanks Dave.

from Savageshot wrote 16 weeks 15 hours ago

from SeanGroves wrote 15 weeks 5 days ago

Dave - thanks for the tip! I look forward to trying this out.

from Georgeteyler1408 wrote 15 weeks 4 days ago