Food Fight Friday: The Battle of Venison Backstraps

The Wild Chef

July 29, 2011

Food Fight Friday: The Battle of Venison Backstraps

By David Draper

by David Draper

Congratulations to Dan S. and his incredibly delicious looking photo of top-round venison steaks with chimichurri. In a battle of deer steaks, he bested Robert Millage’s bacon-wrapped venison and wins last week’s Food Fight.

Bacon-Wrapped Venison Backstrap with Duck Sausage

Vs.

Pan-Seared Venison Backstrap with Pumpkin and Prunes

This week, Wild Chef reader Greg Sheperd throws down the oven mitt, challenging me with some deer steaks of his own. Here’s the description in his words:

“The picture is of two butterflied venison backstraps, marinated in olive oil, black pepper, salt, garlic, and rosemary. They were then bacon wrapped around the outside like a filet mignon then grilled over charcoal. The Sausage is a duck jalepeno/jack cheese sausage. Served with steamed then sauteed green beans.”

Frankly, I don’t think I stand a chance, particularly since he raised the bar with the duck sausage, and of course the Wild Chef reader trump card, bacon. I’ll do my best however, with this picture of a venison backstrap pan-seared and served with pumpkin and prunes. The fall flavors in this dish should at least get all you bowhunters out there thinking about the upcoming season, which is just around the corner for some of us.

So, cast your vote for your favorite. And, if you think you have what it takes to win a Food Fight, send your pictures to fswildchef@gmail.com.

VOTE HERE!

from Bushwackers wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Your pan seared backstrap is cooked just the way i like it. Id eat it and give the rest to the dog.

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

It's gettin' harder and harder each week to choose ... But, the Pan-Seared Venison Backstrap With Pumpkin and Prunes fits my diet intake.
Wait, wait, the Bacon-Wrapped Venison Backstrap with Duck Sausage ... It's Friday isn't it?

See? I typed it was gettin' harder!

Bacon-Wrapped Venison Backstrap with Duck Sausage ... Wins It For Me! Yum, Yum!

Great job Greg! It appears, from the picture, that you have already takened a bite from the backstrap as evidenced by your fork.

Great Pictures Guys!

from Big Country wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

I had to go for the butterflied with bacon. Although they both look really good.

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Ooooh pumpkin and prunes... You wouldn't own that meal very long!

Nein danka!

Bacon wrap and duck sausage for me. How can you say no to Duck Sausage anyway?

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

If only we could do actual taste tests.

from Phil1227 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

tough call but I got to go with the bacon wrapped backstrap with duck sausage.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Dave, your seared venison is done perfectly, picture perfect. It is difficult to compete with a guy who throws bacon and sausage into the mix. Well done. both look delicious.

from Bernie wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

They both look wonderful, but in my experience I prefer pan-fried venison in HOT bacon fat versus grilling. I'd love to have a bite of that duck sausage though!

from Jennifer4B wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Great recipe. The thing with venison is you have to prepare it correctly in order for it not to taste so wild.

from tneal1987 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

not a big fan of pan seared meat, I enjoy my meat cooked and tasty.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report
from Sanjuancb wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Venison, pumpkins and prunes takes it for me. After living through the hottest month in recorded history for my city (89.2 F average, 110F+ highs), I will gladly take anything that reminds me of fall! The other dish looks great, but I like that this steak is a little rarer and the color contrast is really nice.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Sweet potatoe would go well with that dish too.

from sterndixon wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

pumpkin and prunes are the bomb. I've done this same dish with cubed and roasted butternut squash and onion; the venison backstrap pan seared then covered with a quick reduction of blueberries, butter and red wine.

from Bernie wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

Sweet potatoe would go well with that dish too.

from sterndixon wrote 2 years 37 weeks ago

from Bushwackers wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from 2Poppa wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

See? I typed it was gettin' harder!

Bacon-Wrapped Venison Backstrap with Duck Sausage ... Wins It For Me! Yum, Yum!

Great Pictures Guys!

from Big Country wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from Beekeeper wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

Ooooh pumpkin and prunes... You wouldn't own that meal very long!

Nein danka!

Bacon wrap and duck sausage for me. How can you say no to Duck Sausage anyway?

from MaxPower wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

If only we could do actual taste tests.

from Phil1227 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

tough call but I got to go with the bacon wrapped backstrap with duck sausage.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from Jennifer4B wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from Sanjuancb wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

from tneal1987 wrote 2 years 38 weeks ago

not a big fan of pan seared meat, I enjoy my meat cooked and tasty.

-1 Good Comment? | | Report