My Preseason Ritual: The Freezer Clean Out

The Wild Chef

August 08, 2011

My Preseason Ritual: The Freezer Clean Out

By David Draper

A week from today I’ll be sweating it out in hot blind, waiting over a Wyoming water hole for an unsuspecting antelope. It’s hard to believe hunting seasons are already here, but I couldn’t be happier the end of summer is near. I’m sick of the heat and ready for that first frost-filled morning, even if it is a month or more away.

August is also time for one of my pre-season rituals—the freezer clean out. And not in the bad way I experienced earlier this summer. In many states, local wildlife agencies set an arbitrary date when possessing game from last season is illegal. In theory, this helps enforce poaching laws, though in practice, I can’t see how it’s very effective. Still, law-abiding citizen that I am, I go through my freezer to ensure I’m legal.

That means this week I’ll be using the last of my skinned goose breasts to make a big batch of goose jerky. It should taste pretty good while I’m waiting for that big buck antelope to get thirsty.

Even if your state doesn’t have a post-season possession law, late summer is still a great time to go through your freezer to make an inventory of what needs to be eaten before hunting seasons start cranking up. Besides, you never know what kind of surprises you’ll find, like the javelina hock hidden in the bottom of my freezer that I just discovered this morning. Guess it’s time for a barbecue.

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

well dad hosed our frezzer out saterday. but thats because it had never been cleaned. mom "accedntly" cleaned out the frezzer of deer meat. it happend that the door was left open while i was away nad oddly enough only the meat from my first buck

from VAHunter540 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

just grilled the last of my deer short ribs and tenderloin this past weekend. Still have a few grouse breasts and one chunk of elk meat that I will make into chili the first night @ deer camp. Looking forward to bow season!

from TramFan wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

2 sets of pheasants legs left - that's it! Time for bird season to arrive. Great post DD

from Sanjuancb wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I had never heard of being legally required to dispose of game prior to reading this article. That strikes me as a complete load of malarkey and completely counter-intuitive, especially considering the wanton waste laws that many states have.

Regardless, good luck on your antelope hunt! Fall weather needs to get here ASAP...I just lived through the hottest month in recorded history for any state in the Union. If that doesn't make you wish for November, nothing will!

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Yeah this is the month when that fat doe with triplets starts to look real tasty until I realize the triplets are all bucks, suddenly she becomes the safest deer in the woods!!!

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Im down to my last few packages of moose burger and steak. Hopefully will be stocking it back up with some venison come November and December!

from 007 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

I've been after my wife for a while to make a turn of squirrel gravy so I can bring a few more in one day soon.

from steve182 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Unfortunately my freezer is empty, but if it wasn't i'd fire up the smoker.

from Mike Plotner wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from VAHunter540 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from TramFan wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from Sanjuancb wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from Walt Smith wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from Moose1980 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from 007 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 2 years 36 weeks ago

Unfortunately my freezer is empty, but if it wasn't i'd fire up the smoker.