Food Fight Friday: Soup and Sandwich Battle

The Wild Chef

October 21, 2011

Food Fight Friday: Soup and Sandwich Battle

By David Draper and Colin Kearns

Colin's Cardinal Dog   Vs.   T. Rebel's Pheasant and Noodles

Not sure what it is about soup and a sandwich that makes the perfect mid-day (or really, any time of day) meal. For me, it’s all about the warm, hearty broth at the bottom of the bowl sopped up with the last of the sandwich. While this delicious combo is hard to beat on cool, autumn day, we’re going to make you choose one or the other this week as we do a head-to-head with F&S deputy editor and sandwich connoisseur, Colin Kearns, and Wild Chef reader (who also happens to be my girlfriend), T. Rebel.

Colin’s Cardinal Dog:

At risk of losing votes to our readers in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and now Texas, I’ll begin by announcing my unconditional love for the St. Louis Cardinals—my hometown team. To commemorate the club’s surprise trip to the Fall Classic, I wanted to make something special before Wednesday’s Game 1. Something I’ve never made before. Something I’m calling the Cardinal Dog. What’s in the Cardinal Dog? I’m glad you asked. I grilled a venison sausage (courtesy of my Wild Chef cohort, Mr. Draper) and sautéed a red pepper and white onion (the colors of the Cardinals). Then I arranged them on a toasted pretzel roll smeared with spicy mustard and soft cheddar cheese. Served alongside a pile of salt-and-vinegar chips and a frosty-cold Bud, the dog tasted great—almost as great as the Cardinals’ victory that night.

T. Rebel’s Pheasant and Noodles:

Pretty sure it was my cooking that won T. Rebel over—more so than my rugged good looks or winning charm. Either way, she generally eats what I put in front of her without complaint and isn’t shy about going back for seconds. Lucky for me, she’s also handy with a camera, as evidenced by this shot of one of my favorite fall dishes—pheasant and noodles.

Vote for your favorite, and don’t forget get email your food photos to fswildchef@gmail.com.

VOTE HERE!

from firedawg wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Hey, don't forget about us in GA. If it wasn't for the Brave's fantastic flop, y'all wouldn't even be there. I bet everybody, including the Phillies, are wishing that they would have thrown one of the games in Atlanta to give the Brave's the wildcard. Regardless, that is one delicious looking monstrosity of a sandwich.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Go Rangers! Nuf said.

from maxpenner wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Go Cards!!!!!!!! nuf said lol :)

from ec_nick wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I agree with firedog whether you like it or not Georgians are the ones that give yalls teams permission to win or move on to the finals

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

No offense to the (I'm sure) lovely lady, but it's gotta be the Cards dog. That said, last night hurt.

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I know it's Busch Stadium, but there are some other really good beers made in STL to wash that down with, you probably can't get those in New York, so I'll let it slide. Let me add this would be tougher if I weren't a Cards fan, so no disrespect to the soup, but Go Cards!

from Bushwackers wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Tough call there..Im not a Card's fan (go cubs) but i love my Budweiser,,gotta go with the sandwich.

from buckhunter wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Go Rangers! Nuf said.

from firedawg wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from maxpenner wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Go Cards!!!!!!!! nuf said lol :)

from ec_nick wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago