What’s Your Best GORP Recipe?

The Wild Chef

October 17, 2011

What’s Your Best GORP Recipe?

By David Draper

One of my favorite go-to snack foods, along with goose jerky, is GORP—or “trail mix” as the kids call it these days. For you younger readers who didn’t grow up with a subscription to Boy’s Life, GORP stands for Good Ol’ Raisins and Peanuts, which does leave out the third critical ingredient of a well-balanced blend—M&Ms.

It’s hard to beat a handful of the stuff when the hunger pangs hit. Just a few bites gives you a burst of sweet and salty energy to push up and over the next peak or keep you alert on stand. I once packed a (I swear) five-pound, gallon-size bag of GORP into elk camp and it was worth every ounce—especially to my hunting partner who probably ate at least half of it during the hunt.

There are lots of variations on trail mix, although I still prefer the standard raisin, peanut, and chocolate recipe. I’ve tried mixing in coconut flakes (too sticky) and shredded beef jerky (too wrong). But there are a number of other additions I’m thinking about trying, including red pepper flakes, Corn Nuts, and, according to Steve Carell’s Recipe for Success, cashews.

But before I make up a hunting season-size batch of the stuff, I’d like to get some reader suggestions. Certainly someone out there has his or her own unique take on trail mix. So let’s hear it. What’s your best GORP recipe?

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I am a big fan of cashews, pistachios, yogurt covered raisins, and really any kind of dried fruit, especially pineapple or cherries.

I'll throw in peanut butter chips on occasion, too, but only in cold weather. They melt in the heat.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I start with a box of cheerios (original, honey nut is better if you are eating it out of a drinking container but otherwise it gets sticky in your hands) a big bag of m&m's, cashews instead of peanuts and raisins. If I really feel like dropping some coin, I've used yogurt covered raisins before but that was almost too sweet.

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

In addition to peanuts and raisins, I like some walnuts too. I don't always have them around, but chocolate and peanut butter chips are also a nice addition.

from weswes088 wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Peanuts, cashews, raisins, craisins, dried apples, dried apricots, dried cherries, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, dates, and M&Ms (or pulverized Hershey's bars)

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

You've got to have some candy corn in there!

from fng wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Another I had heard of is to find a nice mix of broken up almonds, cashews, peanuts, raisins, m&m's, and then melt white choclate on a pan, dump a metric sh*ttonne of your trailmix in, mix it around, then let it set and break it into flakes. Then put said flakes in a bag, and enjoy some crisp autumn mornings. May actually have gotten the recipe from an issue of F&S

from wp wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

I too go with raisins, peanuts, and m&ms, but I usually add craisins, almonds, cashews, and walnuts. I have also done hazelnuts and chocolate covered espresso beans as well.

from Mark Orlicky wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Yummm, some good ones so far!
I like dried fruit, like raisins, maybe apricots or apples for variety. Salty nuts like peanuts. A box or two of granola for the grain nuggets or flakes. Mixed nuts if I have extra coin. M&Ms, both plain and peanut. And, some cut up pieces of jerky.

I don't think you can do it wrong and its a lot of fun to make different kinds and variations. Sure hope I get some new ideas in this column!

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

ive got a pretty good recipe that sounds like it could double as horse feed but i swear its good.

toasted rolled oats
toasted rolled barley
toasted shredded coconut
peanut or cashews or almonds
dried cranberries
raisins
dried currents
salt and a little bit of honey ( it helps to put the honey in a small pot/container and place it in a softly boiling larger pot of water. When the honey get thin dump it over the "Gorp" and stir it up. Other than tasting good, the salt will help fight off sodium depletion and cramping on strenuous outings)
Dont use to much honey or else youre gonna have a sticky mess.

from smccardell wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Golden raisins
Regular raisins
Unsalted almonds
Walnuts
Salted, shelled, sunflower seeds
Salted roasted pumpkin seeds
Dried cranberries
Salted, shelled pistachios

from QDMGuy wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

If I can keep it cool I will add in dark and white chocolate and peanut butter chips.
But if I can't:
Raisins
Smoked almonds
Salted cashews
Shelled sunflower seeds
Dried cranberries
Dried mangoes
Dried apricots
Coconut chips
Plain cheerios or a granola mix if I want a little more crunch.
And sometimes I will add coffee beans, chocolate covered or uncovered, if i am hiking and want a little extra "pick-me-up"!

from Darrell Mora wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

I don't have a recipe per se, but I'd take the original and toss in a good lashing of corn nuts. Would give some real crunch to the mix.

from pbgvdad wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Dehydrated sauerkraut and Nerds

from Nolan wrote 2 years 23 weeks ago

What ever kind of trail mix (or GORP) you like, you always have to make sure there is more m&m's than other stuff

from weswes088 wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from pbgvdad wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Dehydrated sauerkraut and Nerds

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from nuclear_fisher wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from jakenbake wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

You've got to have some candy corn in there!

from fng wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from wp wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

from Mark Orlicky wrote 2 years 26 weeks ago

Yummm, some good ones so far!

from Gtbigsky wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

toasted rolled oats
toasted rolled barley
toasted shredded coconut
peanut or cashews or almonds
dried cranberries
raisins
dried currents
Dont use to much honey or else youre gonna have a sticky mess.

from smccardell wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago

Salted cashews
Shelled sunflower seeds
Dried cranberries
Dried mangoes
Dried apricots
Coconut chips
Plain cheerios or a granola mix if I want a little more crunch.

from Darrell Mora wrote 2 years 25 weeks ago