Food Fight Friday: Duck Roast vs. Deer Kabobs

The Wild Chef

November 18, 2011

Food Fight Friday: Duck Roast vs. Deer Kabobs

By David Draper

I can’t say the results of last week’s Food Fight Friday beat-down were all that unexpected. Reader Levi Banks put a pretty good whuppin’ on me with his venison green chile tamale, which admittedly got a vote from me as well. My smoked pheasant salad was somewhat of a sacrificial lamb, but this week I’m going to get serious and try to even the series with Levi at two apiece. However, I face some pretty stiff competition.

David’s Roasted Duck

Using a recipe adapted from Russell Chatham’s classic story "The Great Duck Misunderstanding," I rubbed a plucked mallard with butter, sprinkled it with salt, and roasted it whole with apple cider using a Turkey Cannon infuser. Sides were roasted potatoes tossed with duck fat and thyme and wilted cabbage with apple-cider vinegar and bacon. As Chatham says in his essay: “each bite of rare, juicy meat is a new thrill.”

Levi’s Venison Kabobs

For Levi’s final Food Fight entry, he’s saved the best for last: a stunning photo of venison kebabs with zucchini and red onion served over some great looking fried rice. Levi notes that some of the vegetables came from his garden. Banks is no slouch in the kitchen, but he gives credit where credit is due when it comes to the photography, telling us his wife took all the pictures featured here over the past few weeks.

So, who wins? Cast your vote below. Either way, Levi is going to get hooked up with some great prizes from Camp Chef. If you’d like to compete in Food Fight Friday, send your best food photos to fswildchef@gmail.com.

VOTE HERE!

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

That duck looks good, now that my freezer is full of venison for another year I'm hoping to get some ducks this weekend with possibly a bonus quail or two. I'm hoping to branch out from my usual venison, wild turkey, and an occasional rabbit from my dad.

from nuclear_fisher wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

With no disrespect to the last three weeks, this looks by far the best show down featured on here in quite a while. I really don't know who gets my vote off the top of my head, I think I'll have to leave the page up in the background so they each get a few more looks as it gets closer to lunch time and let my stomach decide.

from CL3 wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

I agree with nuke-fisher, but for some reason, the duck and apple cider cabbage made my mouth water a lot this week!

from steve182 wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

They both look terrific but the duck takes it by a nose. or beak

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Give me rare duck any day!

from Levi Banks wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

from nuclear_fisher wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 2 years 21 weeks ago

They both look terrific but the duck takes it by a nose. or beak

from Greenhead wrote 2 years 20 weeks ago

Give me rare duck any day!