Alternatives to the Red Solo Cup

The Wild Chef

June 26, 2012

Alternatives to the Red Solo Cup

By David Draper

Can we all please stop drinking the Toby Keith-spiked Kool-Aid and admit that his little ditty “Red Solo Cup” is the worst song ever written, bar none. I would rather listen to “Pac Man Fever” on repeat than hear another drunk co-ed slur through the chorus while splashing warm, stale beer down, as Keith so eloquently puts it, “the front of my back.”

While I can appreciate the form and function of a red Solo cup, the unfathomable popularity of such a stupid song (or pretty much any Toby Keith song) has not only further eroded my already-thin faith in humanity, but also forced me to boycott the crimson cups on principle alone. This leaves me with a few alternatives for my summer cocktailing.

For the past few years, my cup of choice has been an Atlas-brand pint jar. The robust, “Strong-Shoulder” jar is the perfect vessel for the hard-poured gin and tonics I’ve been relying on to survive the record heat and drought we’ve been suffering. Still, there might be times when a “glass” glass might be less than desirable, so I’m going to pick up a four-pack of these cool Kleen Kanteen pint glasses. Crafted from food-grade stainless steel, they’re a great “green” alternative to single-use plastic cups and, unlike my standard pint jar, unbreakable.

Unfortunately, while you can stand out from the crowd with a classier cup, you can’t unhear the song once it makes its way into your brain. So, though you might be drinking from a stainless steel cup or glass jar, you’re still going to be singing the words:

Red Solo cup
I fill you up.
Let’s have a party…

from CL3 wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

My 2-year old LOVES that song. She always asks for me to play it, and will stop in her tracks when it happen to come on the radio. Crazy!

Oh, cool stainless steel cups too.

from Greenhead wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

Amen, brother!

from 2lb.test wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

Toby Keith sucks, but that song is one of those guilty pleasure songs. If someone is in the truck I turn the radio and pretend I hate it but if it comes on and I'm by myself I'll turn it up.

from Micropterus24 wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

Its a lot easier to flip/shoot a ping pong ball into a red solo cup

from kyka1865 wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

I agree completely on thye song. I prefer the old Toby Keith from early 90's. My go-to cup for bourbon and such is the classic blue enamel coffe mug. I swear whiskey tastes better in those cups especialy around a campfire at night.

from Papa Whiskey wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

For pure function over form, the classic Tervis Tumbler can not be beat. The ice lasts at least twice as long with the resultant less watered down drink.

from wildturkey21 wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

David,

Lighten up. The words to the song may be terrible but the song itself is fun. Bet he made more on the "worst song ever" than you did on this article.

My wife hates it but always smiles at me and my special needs son every time we sing it. Every now and the then, she will even join us (if no one is around. Smiles are good for you.

Pour you one and chill.

from Troy Billet wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

The song is great, and if you're that uptight about a fun jingle perhaps you should reconsider "relying on...hard-poured gin and tonics...to survive the record heat and drought..." not sure it's working for you.

My buddies and I have had great fun sending pics of red solo cups appearing in any sort of odd scenario, usually spurred on by the song coming over the radio.

I use my "single use cup" for several days to a week, (rinsing and re-using) so drop the greenie holier-than-thou attitude and lighten up David.

from mdsulli2 wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

You can buy a truck load of the plastic cups for the price of the cups in this commercial.

from bounty1 wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

As far as I remember, the best part ever of a Toby Keith song are the women (or what you can see of) in the video Honkytonk U.

from Longbeard wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

How's that stainless steel taste? my experience with st st is that it leaves a metallic aftertaste in just about every beverage. gimme a glass (or jar), a used and re-used red solo cup, or that Tervis tumbler Papa Whiskey mentioned. Hey, with a moniker like that, the man surely knows what he's talking about and my better half knows what he knows. I have to fight for just one of the set she gave me for Christmas - think that might have been one of those gifts you give someone else but really want for yourself?

from Hornd wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

I guess the ultimate cup would be a a double walled Snowpeak Titanium cup with no metallic taste and insulation so no sweating.

from Boozin' Bob wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

Check out this alternative, the RED SOLO CUP KOOZIE

from Boozin' Bob wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

boozingear.com

from Redford wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

I agree that the song sucks as much as a dyson. Anyway, I have been using the 8oz ceramic coated, metal, coffee cups all my life. Probably the same as kyka1865 is using but ours are red. Always reminds me of camping.

from hockeyplayer wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

well, someone isnt a fan of toby..........

from CL3 wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

Oh, cool stainless steel cups too.

from Micropterus24 wrote 1 year 42 weeks ago

from Boozin' Bob wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

Check out this alternative, the RED SOLO CUP KOOZIE

from Boozin' Bob wrote 1 year 41 weeks ago

boozingear.com

from Redford wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from hockeyplayer wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

well, someone isnt a fan of toby..........