The Toast: How to Make Gin and Tonics by the Pitcher

The Wild Chef

July 11, 2012

The Toast: How to Make Gin and Tonics by the Pitcher

By David Draper

It shames me a bit to admit, but late last spring, in an effort to get control of an expanding waistline, I declared a moratorium on beer until July 4th.* This would be no easy feat, but it has been helped along by an increased consumption of gin mixed with diet tonic. Normally these are just mixed a glass at a time, but for weekends or special occasions I like to stir up a pitcher using a recipe my sister, no stranger to gin herself, gave me years ago. (To give credit where it is due, I did a little Internet research and found a similar recipe originally credited to venerable New York bartender and writer Toby Cecchini.) The photocopied guide has long since been lost, but I’ve made them enough times that the simple ratio is ingrained in my head.

*As for the beer ban, I didn’t plan on wheat harvest being two weeks ahead of schedule, so I only made it until the middle of June before cracking a can.

Gin and Tonics By the Pitcher

Ingredients
-6 limes
-1 pint of good gin
-Ice
-1 liter of tonic

Directions
Roll five of the limes on the counter until softened, then juice. Cut the juiced limes into slices and add to a large pitcher.
Add the gin and lime juice to the pitcher and muddle.
Fill the pitcher with ice, then pour in the tonic.
Stir and serve, garnishing the glasses with slices cut from the remaining lime.

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

I do love me a gin and tonic!

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Gin has 100 calories per jigger. I mix my G & T's with more than that.

Your quest for calorie reduction has failed. All your base are belong to us.

from Blase110 wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

might have "100 calories per jigger" but it is low in carbs, which is probably why it was taking beers place for a while. I like gin and tonic but in this heat, nothing is better than an ice cold budweiser

from gundogco wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Perfect way to get the weekend started. Oh shoot its only Wednesday

from Ryffel wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Dave, I went a similar route, but with vodka instead of gin, while losing weight. I make a gallon of strong iced tea with about 10-12 ounces of vodka and the juice of one lemon. It really cut down the carbs I was taking in with beer and is a good tasting drink! I have to say I was surprised how much weight I dropped by cutting out the beer and still being able to enjoy a drink!

from Redford wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

The misses and I drink G&T's all the time doesn't matter if I'm ice fishing or Bass fishing or at work.

We make ours half tonic half gin though. I would have to change the ratio to 1 quart gin, 1 quart tonic which is pretty easy to remember.

Bombay Sapphire RULES!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Sounds great, but booze is so bloody expensive up here! Heck I can barely afford a beer at the local sports bar. Have to pay prices you only find in US airports (arggg!). Maybe I should splurge. Guess I can't take it with me ... unless it's in a brown bag.

from Hornd wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

1:1 Sounds dangerous, but I like how you think. I introduced the wife to G&T's and she's such a fan that we buy 1.75L of gin (and wine by the box for her).
I know this is going to offend a lot of the pinky up crowd, but have you tried Seagrams Lime Twisted? We decided we like it as much as Tanqueray or Bombay and it's mucho cheaper. Never waste your $ on Tanq. Ten, it's nothing but clever mrkting in a cute bottle. I love the smell and taste of drinking a pine tree (juniper).
As far as calories, 1.5 oz = 115 calories, but if your like me 8 light beers is no prblm, but 8 G&Ts = debauchery

from Hornd wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

@ Ontario Honker, sorry but Canada SUCKS for drinking unless your 19. Visited Windsor and beers were about $5 at every bar, and I sure didn't want to drink in a hotel after driving that far. When the exchange rate was in US favor it was a lil different. It is very beautiful country however (not so much Windsor)

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

OH I hear what your saying. But some how the tab for socialized medicine has to be paid. Albeit the "sin tax" on cigarettes and alcohol. I remember the bar drinks were on a level with any large city in the US. Package stores were another level all together. The production beer was way above in quality and more than worth the price. I still have a soft spot for the Upper Canada brand. As far as cigarettes went; most people down here would get sticker shock. BUT the trade off is a very nice country filled with very good people. So an expensive Gin and Tonic is a fair trade. As to why it's called a Gin and Tonic. You have to go back to olden times. Gin was originally sold as a cough medicine. The Tonic was Quinine water for malaria with a little sugar added. So the original was a prophylactic against tropical environments. SOMETHING you can tell the spouse who's looking to cut you off. Especially if there are mosquitoes at the picnic. LOL

from Red Salas wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

I dont do mix drinks. Im a beer and whisky man.

from Amflyer wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Gin has 100 calories per jigger. I mix my G & T's with more than that.

Your quest for calorie reduction has failed. All your base are belong to us.

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

I do love me a gin and tonic!

from Blase110 wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from gundogco wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Perfect way to get the weekend started. Oh shoot its only Wednesday

from Ryffel wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from Redford wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

Bombay Sapphire RULES!

from Ontario Honker ... wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from Hornd wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from Hornd wrote 1 year 40 weeks ago

from Carl Huber wrote 1 year 39 weeks ago

from Red Salas wrote 1 year 38 weeks ago

I dont do mix drinks. Im a beer and whisky man.