Food Fight Friday: Bear Bones Edition

The Wild Chef

September 21, 2012

Food Fight Friday: Bear Bones Edition

By David Draper

Finally, temperatures, in the evenings anyway, are starting to feel more like fall, which means it’s time to break out the recipes for warm comfort foods. It seems like many of my fall favorites call for long hours simmering on the stovetop to develop those rich and savory flavors. Here are two great dishes that will hopefully make your mouth water and inspire you to spend some time in the kitchen.

Bear Ham and Beans

I dedicated a whole day last week to tending the smoker as I put the finishing touch to a bone-in bear ham. You’ll hear more about how that project went in the future, but I can share one of the many dishes that came out of it; a hearty bowl of bear ham and beans. One of my all-time favorite comfort foods, ham and beans, with a side of corn bread, is hard to beat on a crisp, fall evening, and the addition of bear made this one all the more special.

Braised Bear Shanks

We may have seen this particular dish on the blog before, but I thought I would bring it out of retirement to go bone-to-bone with the ham and beans. Shanks, as you all well know, are one of my favorite cuts on any animal--partly because they’re under-rated--but mostly because they’re so dang flavorful. Sure, they might take a long braise to break down the connective tissues, but the deep, meaty flavor makes it well worth the wait.

Don’t forget--I need your photos for future Food Fight Fridays. Send your best food pic in to fswildchef@gmail.com and I’ll feature it here.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

I'll take both, the beans for lunch and the shank for dinner :). Have nothing to contribute lately, lots of good food, but domestic animals get brutalized in any food fight around here. I'm patiently waiting on small game season to kick in, especially for rabbits.

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

This is a win-win, both look amazing but I'd go with the shank.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

This is a good one! Both! Just look at them!

from Ryffel wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

That shank looks amazing! I would definitely have to try that!

from kaanimal wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

I have to agree with Koldkut, MaxPower, & CL3! Both look excellent! My only critique would be to use pinto beans & lots-o-cumin for the ham & beans. But I grew up in the SW & that's my idea of H&B. Tough decision, but I'll have to go with the shanks.

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

This is a win-win, both look amazing but I'd go with the shank.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

This is a good one! Both! Just look at them!

from Ryffel wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago

That shank looks amazing! I would definitely have to try that!

from kaanimal wrote 1 year 29 weeks ago