Food Fight Friday: Venison Pizza vs Bear Kebabs

The Wild Chef

September 14, 2012

Food Fight Friday: Venison Pizza vs Bear Kebabs

By David Draper

It must be the cool mornings, but I’ve been on a cooking, canning, and all-around kitchen binge lately. Or that’s the excuse I’ve been giving my editors for the late assignments anyway. The strange thing is, I’ve been spending so much time in the kitchen working on special projects that when it comes dinnertime, I get a bit lazy. Luckily, I have mastered a few easy-to-make meals that don’t compromise on taste, like the two featured in this week’s Food Fight.

Venison Pizza

At first, homemade pizza seems daunting, but in fact, it’s one of the easiest meals to make, particularly if pick up some pre-made pizza dough at the store. After that, it’s all gravy. Just stretch the dough into whatever shape you want, load it with toppings, then bake for 12 to 15 minutes in a super-hot oven. The version you see here is topped with homemade red sauce, mushrooms, mozzarella, and venison bacon.

Bear Kebabs

There are a couple of different things going on in this photo. In the foreground are chunks of bear steak and mushrooms marinated in a mix of soy, hoisin, and chili-garlic sauce. In the back is a more classic kebab featuring skewered chunks of onions and peppers interspersed with pieces of the cherry-bear sausage I made a few weeks back. Of the two types of kebabs, I have to say the sausage versions were the better of the two, though the steak-and-mushrooms sticks weren’t too shabby either.

I’ve got a few photos in the Food Fight que, but I need some readers to step up with great submissions to put them against. Send your best in to fswildchef@gmail.com.

from Greenhead wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

I think the kebabs look great, but really want to see a recipe for that venison bacon. Any chance?

from CL3 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Kebabs by a mile. Pizza crust looks undercooked.

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Steak (or chunks of steak) over fire is always a winner.

from Fruguy101 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

I know that ground venison is super delicious on pizza. I'm partial to the Chef Boyardee pepperoni pizza kits. The pepperoni in the sauce give it such a good flavor that no other sauce I've tried can match it. All I do is add more toppings and shredded cheese, and we have a meal that my kids love to eat. Too bad I ran out of ground venison a couple years ago when a deep freezer quit working, and I failed to bag a deer last year.

from thequam wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

I would have to second Greenheads comment, the venison bacon has me intrigued..........

from Greenhead wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Kebabs by a mile. Pizza crust looks undercooked.

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago

Steak (or chunks of steak) over fire is always a winner.

from Fruguy101 wrote 1 year 30 weeks ago