Food Fight Friday: Shanks vs. Steaks

The Wild Chef

October 19, 2012

Food Fight Friday: Shanks vs. Steaks

By David Draper

As I was rearranging my freezer the other day, trying to figure out how I was going to fit my Oklahoma deer in there, I noticed an abundance of bone-in shanks piling up. Good thing loyal reader Levi Banks sent along an osso buco recipe with his Food Fight photo this week. But then, it’s also hard to turn down a good chicken-fry, like the one sent in by MaxPower. Guess I’ll just have to make both this weekend.

Levi’s Osso “Bucko”

Traditional osso buco is sliced shank, but I don't have a good meat saw so I saved some whole shanks from a deer, browned them in the Dutch oven, then pulled them out and sautéed some onion, celery, carrot, and garlic. Then I put the shanks back in along with some red wine and stock to cover. I transferred the whole thing to the Crock-Pot the next morning and let it cook all day. When I got home I pulled the meat out and shredded it, transferred the veggies and liquid to a pot, pureed it and boiled it down to become the sauce on top of the meat. The brussel sprouts are pan roasted and then served with barley risotto. One of the busier meals I've made in a while, but it was so good. I won't ever again shave the meat off those bones and add it to the grind pile.

MaxPower’s Chicken-Fried Elk

Made this out of some elk steak I still had in the freezer, and luckily it was top sirloin, which is perfect for this. Nothing real unique or fancy; my batter is flour, salt, black pepper, paprika, and a heaping spoon of cayenne pepper for fun. I tenderize the steaks and pound them out so they're a little thinner. Double dip and use some bacon grease to fry and help with making the gravy. My wife (who claims to not like elk) ate one and half steaks, and my 2-year-old kept asking for more as well.

Levi and Max have taken the Food Fight Friday challenge. Now it’s your turn. Send in your best food photo to fswildchef@gmail.com and we’ll feature it here.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I'm a sucker for anything chicken-fried, but I'm going with the shank this time. Both look great though.

from ejunk wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Definitely trying this osso bucco recipe. Shanks are one of those cuts I always feel like I'm wasting. Wish I could stand at the butcher table with Levi and see exactly what cuts he used!

from Half-of-two wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

Anything fried up in bacon grease gets my vote! It's cold and rainy today (in northern Indiana) and just looking at that big ol' hunk of fried steak next to the pile of mashed 'taters and green beans makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

I do have to admit, though...Levi's recipe looks tasty, too. And I'll bet it would make a great left-over sandwich the next day!

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I am convinced you can put brown gravy on just about anything and make it taste good. It's kinda like adding bacon, how could you go wrong.

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I always wondered if venson shanks could be cooked this way with all the silver skin in them.

from Levi Banks wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

I saved both the shanks from the front and back legs, the whole thing, I didn't try and trim any of the silver skin, it just sort of dissolves into the sauce, you would never know it was such a tough cut of meat. Actually I believe the collagen contributes to the sauce thickness.

from kaanimal wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

OOOOO! This is a tough one!

from Red Salas wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Im sure id love the shark but I sure love a steak.

from Levi Banks wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from CL3 wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from ejunk wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from Half-of-two wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from DSMbirddog wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

from kaanimal wrote 1 year 25 weeks ago

OOOOO! This is a tough one!

from Red Salas wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Im sure id love the shark but I sure love a steak.