Food Fight Friday: Upland Salad vs. Catfish Cakes

The Wild Chef

November 02, 2012

Food Fight Friday: Upland Salad vs. Catfish Cakes

By David Draper

We have two great reader-submitted photos today, so I’m just going to get out of the way and let Upland and Hoosierdude duke it out. Let’s get it on!

Upland’s Hungarian Partridge Breast Salad

I have been wanting to enter a Food Fight Friday for awhile now but have had a rough year of hunting, so I haven't had many opportunities. Depsite a warm fall, the dog and I finally got out for a morning bird hunt. Here is my submission: grilled Hungarian partridge breast salad.

I liberally apply a mild rub—with a smoked paprika base—to the deboned breasts about an hour before grilling and allow the breasts to come to room temp. I get the grill smoking hot, lightly spray the breasts with oil and cook for two minutes max per side, so they are just cooked through. I served it this time with mangoes, feta, grapes, and toasted almond slivers on romaine to create a nice Mediterranean salad that was a delicious way to enjoy a fine gamebird on a warm fall afternoon. For dressing, any mild citrus vinaigrette works well.

Hoosierdude’s Catfish Cakes

If I'm not in a treestand in October, I'm stocking my freezer with channel cat fillets. Fall is a hell of a time to catch cats. The bite is often fast and furious, and a stringer of fat fiddlers is a fine way to salute the end of the fishing season. These are crab cakes…Midwest style. Bake the fillets and flake them once they cool. In a large mixing bowl, add equal parts crushed Ritz crackers, a squirt or two of mayo and mustard, plus copious amounts of Old Bay seasoning and black pepper. Throw in some finely chopped green pepper, onion, and an egg to hold it all together. The ratios aren't terribly important; just don't overdo it on the veggies or the condiments lest your cakes will break apart. Form the mixture and fry in oil over medium heat until golden brown. Greens and mashed potatoes are perfect accompaniments. My wife and my son are not particularly fond of catfish, but they'll devour these and ask for seconds.

To Upland and Hoosierdude, I say thanks for two awesome Food Fight submissions. Me (and my doctor) thank you for including something other than red meat.

To the rest of you readers, if you think you can compete with the likes of these two, get in the ring. Just send your best photo to fswildchef@gmail.com.

from GrandSlamDreamer wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Food Fight Friday is one of my favorite things to look forward to at the end of the week. This week offered up two recipes for games that I have readily available. I look forward to trying both of these this weekend!

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Tough choice, but a toss-up has to go to the meat fried in oil

from steve182 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Hard to beat fish cakes sizzling in a skillet, but that partridge looks terrific too. Too close to call.

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I agree add batter and throw it in the grease. I've got some catfish fillet's in the cooler that will be going to the camp with me this weekend.

from smccardell wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Being from Maryland, Hoosierdude had be al Old Bay!

from Half-of-two wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

I do love a good grilled upland breast, but, seeing as I'm a fellow Hoosier, I gotta go with the catfish cakes. Maybe I'm a sucker for fried fish (sorry Dr.V!), but I don't think the salad is going to keep me full for very long! Also, I'm thinkin' those catfish cakes would make a pretty good sandwich, too...maybe with a little slaw on top and a side of fries! Can anyone else hear my atteries clogging up? I really enjoy the fact that Hoosierdude isn't really concerned about the ratio of ingredients. That's how I cook, more often than not...add and mix until it looks good!

from Levi Banks wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

Nothing against the fish cakes, but that salad looks awesome! I really like the idea of the mangoes and feta cheese. I don't get much partridge in Missouri, but I would like to try something like that with some turkey or pheasant.

from upland wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

levi - thanks for the kind words but I am a gonner against fried fish. The rub works good on turkey too, just pound them a little before grilling so they are more tender, since you have to cook them longer. Haven't tried it on pheasant

smkd paprika 1
garlic pw 1
onion .5
cayenne .25
salt .25

from kansasjeff wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

catfish cakes!? (slaps forhead) Why did I never think of this!!!!!!

Thanks Hoosierdude

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

They both look amazing but I my vote goes to the salad.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

both look reeally good.
i make fishcakes pretty much exactly like that, although mine are usually made from bass or brown trout

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Tough choice, but a toss-up has to go to the meat fried in oil

from GrandSlamDreamer wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from steve182 wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from ALJoe wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from smccardell wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

Being from Maryland, Hoosierdude had be al Old Bay!

from Half-of-two wrote 1 year 24 weeks ago

from Levi Banks wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

from upland wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

smkd paprika 1
garlic pw 1
onion .5
cayenne .25
salt .25

from kansasjeff wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

catfish cakes!? (slaps forhead) Why did I never think of this!!!!!!

Thanks Hoosierdude

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago

They both look amazing but I my vote goes to the salad.

from wisc14 wrote 1 year 23 weeks ago