My Favorite Sandwich: PB&J On Pancakes

The Wild Chef

November 12, 2012

My Favorite Sandwich: PB&J On Pancakes

By David Draper

In hunting camp, my mouth starts watering whenever I see pancakes on the breakfast table, but not for the reason you might think. Sure I love a short stack slathered with butter and maple syrup (or better yet, homemade jelly), but what really gets me excited is the thought of peanut butter and jelly pancake sandwiches for my hunting pack. On several occasions I’ve been known to forgo a flapjack for breakfast just so I can have leftover cakes to make a sandwich.

There’s just something about pancakes that blow standard white bread out of the water when it comes to making a PB&J, especially when they’re really good. In addition to the sweet, eggy flavor they add to peanut butter and jelly, pancakes stay firmer than standard bread, and don’t get overly soggy from soaking up all that jelly.

The sandwiches pictured here were made on the Sundy during my Kodiak adventure, and the pancakes were simple Krusteaz brand—but the first mate Tyler substituted Sprite in place of water making them extra sweet and fluffy. I slathered two cakes with Jif creamy peanut butter (way better than crunchy) and smeared on a healthy dose of Oregon marionberry jam, topping both with another pair of pancakes.

After dragging my buck to the beach that day, I sat on the cliffs overlooking the North Pacific Ocean and enjoyed an uncharacteristically beautiful Alaskan day—pancake sandwich in hand. At that moment, all was right with the world. I had but one regret: As I made my sandwiches that morning, Field & Stream editor in chief, Anthony, saw what I was up to and used the final two pancakes to make a sandwich of his own. The next day, and for the rest of the trip, we would have to use white bread.

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

My wife introduced me to peanut butter on pancakes and I thought she was crazy until I tried it. Although I never thought of the PB&J flapjack sandwich, will have to give this a whirl. Another awesome creation she bought to my attention was a grilled PB&J sandwich, same idea as the classic grilled cheese but with PB&J instead.

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

PB&J is a classic favorite. My mouth is watering already.

from Baileymade wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

I grew up with peanut butter and maple syrup being the standard topping for pancakes, waffles, french toast, and biscuits. I was shocked when I found out most people don't do that! Of course they have no idea what they are missing.

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Do not forget peanut butter on eggs!

from Levi Banks wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

We usually add peanut butter to our pancake batter, and chocolate chips, that's just about a requirement from my wife and daughter. I get where you're going with the pancakes as bread, but I usually bake pretty hearty whole grain breads and use them for my hunting sandwiches. The bread is generally pretty sturdy and filling.

from MattM37 wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Honey from a local beekeeper is my favorite pancake topping, and sometimes I'll use it as a spread in a pancake-and-sausage sandwich. Also, if you leave some or all of the sugar out of the pancake mix (assuming you're making them from scratch), they're great for all the standard sandwiches, bologna, ham and cheese, etc. Even some of the higher-end breads in the grocery store are losing their appeal for me; I'm currently trying to work up the courage to try baking my own.

from rigajames wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

Been doing that for over 30 years ...... nothing new about it, except that I also add banana to the sandwich ...... great combo!!! .... Ever try pancake sandwiches with peanut butter, maple syrup & bacon? .... even better!!

from rigajames wrote 1 year 21 weeks ago

from Hunter_Fass wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from maynardtl8 wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

PB&J is a classic favorite. My mouth is watering already.

from Baileymade wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

from buckhunter wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago

Do not forget peanut butter on eggs!

from Levi Banks wrote 1 year 22 weeks ago