Food Fight Friday: Chicken-Fried Moose vs. Venison Sausage

The Wild Chef

December 20, 2012

Food Fight Friday: Chicken-Fried Moose vs. Venison Sausage

By David Draper

Let’s all welcome newcomer Travis Miller to Food Fight Fridays. This is Miller’s first submission and he created an account just to get it in on the action. I do feel a little bad throwing Travis into the ring with a great cook and frequent Food Fight contributor Levi Banks, but I think he has a fighting chance. No matter how the battle turns out I’m sure we all agree any of us would be happy to tuck into either dish after a long day in the field.

Travis Miller’s Chicken Fried Moose Steak

Travis might be new to the Food Fight game, but he’s obviously got a pretty good grasp on what it takes to win—gravy. Wild Chef readers love a good gravy-smothered chicken-fry, so I like the odds for Miller’s chicken-fried steak, which is made from a moose his father-in-law killed this past season.

Levi Banks’s Rosemary and Mustard Venison Sausage

Using a recipe from Bruce Aidells’ Complete Sausage Cookbook for game sausage with rosemary and mustard, Levi went all out for this meal. It not only includes the sausage on a homemade roll, but the coarse-grain beer mustard used in the sausage and slathered on top was Banks’s creation as well.

If you Christmas and holiday plans call for some fish or wild game dishes, be sure to snap a photo or two and send them in to fswildchef@gmail.com. We’ll pick some of the best and feature them in upcoming Food Fight Fridays.

from Half-of-two wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Gravy=Victory!

from jdwood wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Yes, all for the chicken-fry, Levi has had some awesome dishes but this doesn't look like it will be much of a fair fight.

from Levi Banks wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

I don't stand a chance!

from Koldkut wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago

Yeah, I bet that sausage is great, but that pic doesn't make me salivate like the gravy smothered new-comer's dish does. Good job Travis.

from CL3 wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

You could chicken-fry a road killed squirrel with yellow line road paint on it and I'd eat it with a smile...!

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 16 weeks ago

Moose all the way and not just because it is chicken fried but because its moose vs Deer and moose wins that battle. Apples to apples comparison and it would be very close. I love chicken fried steaks and I love sausage sandwiches with peppers onions and mustard. AHHH thats tough. I think it would have to come down to the side dish. If the sides were consistent with this contest, hands down i would go with sausage and corn on the cob. You can keep your potato salad. If the potatoes were mashed with gravy then fugetaboutit!

from Half-of-two wrote 1 year 17 weeks ago