Childhood Foods: What Do You Miss Most?

The Wild Chef

February 26, 2013

Childhood Foods: What Do You Miss Most?

By David Draper

A friend and I were talking about food the other day when he asked me, “Do you remember Old English?” Me being me, I immediately thought he was talking about Olde English 800, that high-test malt liquor we swilled when we were young and didn’t know any better. After some back and forth, I figured out he was talking about the processed cheese food sold by Kraft in what my friend so aptly described as “jelly jars.” Once the fog induced by too many 40-ounce bottles of Olde English cleared away, I did remember that particular Old English, as well its companion Pimento cheese spread.

Until my friend reminded me, I hadn’t thought about any of these foods for probably 20 years. These two foods, along with another port-flavored cheese spread, were standard holiday fare at my grandparent’s house in the late 1970s. The Old English and Pimento found a tasty home spread into celery stalks. The port cheese, in its fancy ceramic crock, got top billing on the snack table, where it stood spiked with a small cheese knife and surrounded by Club crackers.

I was equally surprised last week when my friend gifted me the two “jelly jars” in the photo. I didn’t even know Kraft still made the stuff. I couldn’t wait to pop the top off when I got home and dip into the creamy, processed cheese products. Of the two, it was the Pimento that really brought the memories back. My grandparents’ house decorated for the holidays, complete with the silvery-white artificial Christmas tree—all my cousins gathered together. It was a taste of my childhood.

I didn’t realize I missed spreadable cheeses until I tasted them again after a couple of decades, but there are a few other flavors I miss from my youth. Probably the one I think about the most, and Google often, is Wild West Firewater. I’d do about anything for a taste of that strawberry soda again, preferably gulped out of a cold steel can to wash down the miniature Tootsie Rolls my grandpa Shorty always had on hand for me.

What food or flavors do you miss from your childhood?

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Pennsylvania birch beer soda! And last year I found it! A friend of mine works at a local beer bistributor and was able to find it. So now I have full access to my favorite childhood soda.

from SMC1986 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

You can still find it so I don't miss it per se but Wispride is the best thing to ever happen to club crackers.

from Gtbigsky wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Old English 800 the Ghetto champagne! I actually have never had the pleasure but I did dabble with Mickey's fine malt liquor.

I miss Nutella. I know it is still widely available but i never eat it anymore. Nutella and banana sandwiches are pretty amazing. Oh, and Ovaltine.

from MaxPower wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Dad's root beer and big league chew. When I was a pup I was the bat-boy for my older brothers baseball team. I was allowed to buy one can of Dad's and one package of 'chew' every week. I know you can still get them, but they're not readily available.

Just thinking about them I can smell the baseball fields and hear that incessant desert wind.

from MattM37 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

Teaberry gum! There is no describing the flavor, other than saying it was wonderful. And Wink soda. As late as 1983, there was a real old-fashioned general store at the bottom of my road, and I'd go in with a dollar and buy four or five packs of teaberry, a bottle of Wink, and a couple dozen worms for the day's trout fishing. (Now that I think of it, old Flossie, the owner, might have been giving me the special little-kid discount ....)

from Scout79 wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago

For the longest time I was on a quest for Jell-o Pudding Pops. I was crushed to discover they don't make them anymore. I found some low fat weight watchers ones or something of the like, but I was like "Eff that!" I also long for Planter's Cheez Balls...cheese balls today are so weak by comparison! Last time I had them was around Christmas of 2006.

from themadflyfisher wrote 1 year 6 weeks ago